Steam Price uk (bronze)

BigJack

Reaction score
Just got my credit card bill, and i was utterly shocked to see that next to "steam games" was the price of £33.63. Now i know that the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment, and that the pound is considerably stronger than the doller.

So F@c|<ing £33 is a complete rip off!!!

whats going on?? why is is a whole tenner more than the game in the shops? we dont get any extra knobs and twiddles....its exactly the same godamm game just WITHOUT a dvd and instructions.

Im sorry but that is pure greed.....if £7 is what the average developer gets per game sold in the shops, why go overboard and charge so much when its all going straight in valve's pocket. Why dont they make it cheaper than in the shops so we have an incentive to buy it straight off them.

I know all that schmooze i said about steam being good an all, but not if its that expensive.

Im never gona buy another game off steam until their prices get reasonable for those all around the world not just america.

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

Hahaha, you fruit, thats retail value, its the same if you buy the game from the publisher.

The price in the shops is a discounted one, you'll notice next to the price they have "save £xx"

Also, Vivendi won't let Valve undercut their prices.

Then you have no idea how much it costs in other countrys. But i do agree that they could atleast lower it to the price in stores (although it should cost less than in store becuse you don´t get the cover etc.).

Nope, they can't, they're not allowed to undercut Vivendi, the stores automatically sell at a discount price because they all compete with each other.

BigJack: "So F@c|<ing £33 is a complete rip off!!!"
Valve: "0wn3d"

j/k, of course ;)

You could have paid £7 more and got the silver package :(

I think you probably got ripped off by your credit card company. The Bronz e package on Steam is $49.95, which should be close to £27.

Alternatively, perhaps you were charged (or you bought) the Silver package, which at $59.95 does equate to £33.

if you were actually paying attention when purchasing over steam you'd see it was adding VAT onto the price.

its your own fault.

You had a choice to buy it through retail or steam. You choose Steam and now your complaining that its expensive? Then why didn't you buy iy through retail if you don't agree with the prices? Its your fault.

It's VIVENDIs fault, just like everything else...
Not that I am complaining, I got GOLD & could not be happier... :D
BigJack please remember who developed the game and who should get most of the profit from the game.

geowa said:
...erm why?

Did you read this???
Because it's true...

MaDMaXX : Nope, they can't, they're not allowed to undercut Vivendi, the stores automatically sell at a discount price because they all compete with each other.

33 quid is cheap for a game if you ask me. Especially if it was retail.

retail games in the Uk are £35

stop your bitching, take two minutes to work out the exchange rate of something before you buy it...

took me 2 minutes to find out steam silvers price in pounds and that was before i even considered buying it.

I noticed that the price of the Gold edition was about £15 more than I expected to pay. I expect to pay about £75 but I ended up paying £90. Which is an exchange rate of $1.5 = £1 instead of the current exchange rate of $1.8 = £1.

All credit card companies charge for converting currency, just depends what rates your bank gives you as to how much you'll end up paying. I payed ~£40 all told for Silver.

Feath said:
I noticed that the price of the Gold edition was about £15 more than I expected to pay. I expect to pay about £75 but I ended up paying £90. Which is an exchange rate of $1.5 = £1 instead of the current exchange rate of $1.8 = £1.
Strange I only paid £78 for GOLD.
When did you buy it?

i did work it out. it came to around 25 pounds. i was perfectly happy to pay that....

Valve should provide currency conversions that are accurate.
(rather than letting us convert the currency ourselves, and getting an estimate that is lower than what we will actually be charged)
and the fool who said they add vat, everything you buy in uk bar a few things has vat added at 17.5%, including games sold at places other than from steam.

so quit talking like i do not have a valid complaint. The prices we are being charged are a considerable deal more than we would expect converting the currency using todays exchange rate, with vat added aswell. Feath got on the bad end of this since he got Gold, for which the discrepencies in the cost are greater as there is more money involved.

Is it right for someone to be charged £15 more than they think they should be??

Valve doesn't provide currency conversions last I checked. I'm fairly sure they didn't when I bought Silver...

Why? You buy the game off steam and the bronze package costs $49.95. (personaly i think its quite expencive) But seeing as how i live in Norway, and doing so will add extra middlemen (also in other countries) that wants to have their piece of the cake if you buy it in the shop.

In the shop the same package will land me about 500 ($67.00) Nkr where as if i buy it off steam it will cost 375 Nkr ($49,95).

So i dont see your problem!? Its not more than $49,95 in the UK either, and seeing how the GBP i sworth more than the dollar, as is the Nkr and the Euro, its cheaper for you anyways to buy the thing off steam.

If you lived in some third world country it would be a little more expencive to buy it in dollar, no? So .. no problem!!!

I paid exactly £27 for my HL2, including VAT and fast delivery.

If steam is £35, thats a total rip-off.

Well lets look at the £25 I paid for Half-Life 5 years ago. Im still playing it to this day.

People always say £45 is expensive for a game. Consider a round of drinks for me, my gf and my parents is £10 which lasts maybe 20 minutes I would say £45 is actually nothing.

Oh and im actually paying £24.99 from Game.net due to preordering back in September last year. I see it is now on for £29.99.

I too went through the payment process to get the Silver edition but backed out before Confirming as I just could not see the logic of paying over the odds for something that only gave you a few gigs worth of data and not something you can actualy receive in your hands.

Please see the my message at the link below:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42352

What?

I'm from the UK - I bought the Silver package and for what u get its a F**CKING bargain. Dude seriously I have like 12 games to play which are all good. HalfLife :source and HL2 are coming, CS:Source is cool. Theres loads of games I've never played before which are perfect for filling time until HL2 arrives.

Yes its more expensive than a budget game, and I am sure people have got it cheaper elsewhere etc. I don't really care.

I wanted to buy the game, am happy to pay Valve what they ask for it, and I'm not bitching for one second about my purchase.

I spent £10,500 on a brand new car only to find out that
a) its shit
b) after 3 years of owning it its devalued to around £3500

THAT is a rip off.

Stop whining.
FFS I spend more than 30 quid on a night out.

all of you are completely missing my point. The game is advertised at a price which is misleading for those who do not reside in the US, because they use an exchange rate unlike any other iv seen.

Im annoyed that iv been charged more than i expected, not the fact that the price is what it is. Buying the game off steam is easier for me since i dont have a dvd drive, and iv already preloaded.....but i do not like nasty surprises such as finding out you have been charged more than i was led to believe id be charged.

Yeah yeah yeah, its a night out or some drinks or whatever, all very fascinating analogies a 12 year old could have come out with. Its the price of a cheap pair of trainers :dork: .

Heres a more fitting analogy. A developer says a game cost $50, and then charges you as if it cost $60. See any problem there?

An example:

Valve silver package = $59.95

Assuming an exchange rate of $1.80 to £1.00

59.95 / 1.8 = £33.31

BUT, in the UK, games are liable for VAT at 17.5%

So, final price = 33.31 * 1.175 = £39.14 (within 10p of what I paid)

Its not Valve's fault that here in the UK we have to pay Value Added Tax and Valve are only getting the $59.95 that they advertised.

IMHO its great value for HL2, CSS, HLS, DODS and their ENTIRE back catalogue!!!!

Oktup

also paying for the steam servers and everything must be INSANELY expensive, they probs still get less than half what you pay - also remember it's a very big team, very long development and we're paying towards the development of HL3 and probably amazing support in the future in patches and add-ons

face it, £32 for the best game ever is a bargin

tommy1987 said:
www.mx2.co.uk = £26.45 Cheapest Price in UK

Bloody good price.....And i thought amazon was good at £26.99.....But hell £33 pound for a Downloaded game,you should have stuck to retail my friend, and i don't think you can even return it....There is nothing worse than buying something then finding out you could have bought it cheaper else where.....

Back