Steam to being sending 'the game' to hard drives a week before it ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitcodfry

Reaction score
IMPORTANT: I cannot believe I just now remembered this, but when I was on the tour, Gabe told me that Steam would begin to send Half-Life 2 the game to individual's hard drives a week before it released via Steam. I'm assuming this is for people that choose in advance to get it from there. A Steam employee also told me that the material sent to your hard drive would he heavily encrypted, in order to prevent anyone from playing any of the game early. And obviously, people would be notified in advance that the material was being sent to their hard drives. If this is the case, then an announcement would need to be made no later than next tuesday (the 22nd) for it to be sent by the 30th via Steam.

are you serious? how could you forget to mention this???? lol. j/p

Thats wicked. So if that is def. true, then it HAS to be out on store shelves by 9/30. If Gabe meant what he said about it being playable on STEAM and on store shelves on the same time.

So this could possible conclude that there IS NO DELAY?

Originally posted by Goombatommy
are you serious? how could you forget to mention this???? lol. j/p

Thats wicked. So if that is def. true, then it HAS to be out on store shelves by 9/30. If Gabe meant what he said about it being playable on STEAM and on store shelves on the same time.

So this could possible conclude that there IS NO DELAY?

Well, according to an e-mail someone recently got, Gabe said that Valve doesn't control the retail dates. You can view it here on the Valve info thread: http://halflife2.homelan.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=167417#post167417 It's the third one from the bottom, and its posted by Templar Wizard

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Well, according to an e-mail someone recently got, Gabe said that Valve doesn't control the retail dates. You can view it here on the Valve info thread: http://halflife2.homelan.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=167417#post167417 It's the third one from the bottom, and its posted by Templar Wizard

Yea, but hes talking about foreign countries like Korea and England might have a SLIGHT delay on store shelves. The basic point tho is that it will be shipped off to retailers and try to be in stores in the US by 9/30.

I dont think they would risk it. I mean, hacking into movies earlier, no problem. Hacking into HL2... Big bad problem :)
Besides, how can Valve know who wants to get HL2 over Steam before they even do???

An early release on steam would seem logical, since it would immensly reduce the stress on the steam servers on the 30th. But I can also picture some guy sitting in a basement for days in a hex editor trying to crack the encryptions :D

btw, great job on getting into valve and getting us the pics and info spitcodfry!

Heavily encrpyted lol, no doubt people will still try.

Originally posted by Sushi
btw, great job on getting into valve and getting us the pics and info spitcodfry!

Thanks m8 :cheers:

As to the idea of sending them off to people's hard drives, I'm sort of at a loss as to how they'd determine who wants it for download and who doesn't. Maybe Monday a new menu in Steam will open entitled something like "Half-Life 2 pre-download," and you can choose to start downloading then, and when it comes out on the 30th, you begin paying your first subscription payment. That's my two cents on it

We can only hope. Steam has recently died for me, I think it's updating or something? : ) Been dead for 24 hours now. If HL2 does indeed arrive earlier on steam than in stores, hell yeah I'll buy it that way!

Originally posted by dawdler
I dont think they would risk it. I mean, hacking into movies earlier, no problem. Hacking into HL2... Big bad problem :)
Besides, how can Valve know who wants to get HL2 over Steam before they even do???

Yea i agree they are just gonna send it to our harddrives but what if we buy retail?? Doesnt make sense inless theres something special or maybe the MP part of the game is the one going to be sent to us. Hmm this would confirm then we can only play hl2 through steam.

EDIT: Nevermind this ^^^ is a dumb assumption move along now nothing to see here.

Originally posted by Athlon7
We can only hope. Steam has recently died for me, I think it's updating or something? : ) Been dead for 24 hours now. If HL2 does indeed arrive earlier on steam than in stores, hell yeah I'll buy it that way!

If I can have a surefire way of being able to play it the second the minute hand strikes 12:01 on the 30th, then I might just get my pre-order money back and go with Steam. I mean, if a large bulk of the game is already downloaded, I probably won't need to worry about 'downloading' screens or some such as I'm playing.

Originally posted by Ghost Freeman
Attention Whore.

Yeah you got me. I can't deny it any longer. My sole purpose is to roam the boards looking for someone that will listen to me in life.

If I can have a surefire way of being able to play it the second the minute hand strikes 12:01 on the 30th, then I might just get my pre-order money back and go with Steam. I mean, if a large bulk of the game is already downloaded, I probably won't need to worry about 'downloading' screens or some such as I'm playing.

but then u get no case, cds, manual. :/ i dunno wot to do yet

Originally posted by Headwires
but then u get no case, cds, manual. :/ i dunno wot to do yet

I can always buy retail later...I'm too impatient

I can always buy retail later...I'm too impatient

must be nice to be loaded lol :p i won't be able to afford that, might just go with retail coz of my 150k connection :/

u could like, subscribe to steam for october at 10 bucks, then buy the retail the following month kind thing

What ELSE did you forget?!

'Oh, BTW. The game will only be released in Hungarian and Latin.'

They probably will:

a) give you the option of starting download (I don't think they'll just suck up a gig or so of your harddrive without telling you)

b) withhold at least the executable until the 30th: even just to look at the content (textures, models, text) you'd have to know the formats anyway, some of which are proprietary, so encryption or not I don't think anyone's going to have much luck sneaking a peek

Originally posted by Headwires
must be nice to be loaded lol :p i won't be able to afford that, might just go with retail coz of my 150k connection :/

Nah actually I'm unemployed...but I already paid off my copy of Half-Life 2 retail at my local EB in full...knowing full well I wouldn't have been able to scrounge together enough on the 30th to buy it. If I can get it off Steam first, I'll probably get back my money from EB, put it in the bank, play Half-Life 2 via Steam for a month, then cancel my subscription there, and go buy retail.

Originally posted by dawdler
Despite best efforts, the Steam movies could not be cracked after the security hole was patched up. And with sufficiently advanced encryption routines (like in the 128bit to 256bit range) gaining unauthorized access is impossilbe (it's not technically impossible, but it could take a supercomputer years to crack such encryption making it virtually impossible for your average warez kiddie).

I think when Valve says the files are heavily encrypted, they mean it. Don't count on anybody cracking into the files.

id oubt it will be hexable, if the latest video(s) were un-hexible i doubt a more heavily encrypted HL2 will be able to be cracked.

also, i hadnt even thought about it ebing pre-loaded, and it makes perfect sense. it would be the only way to lighten the overwhemingly huge strain on the servers.

and listen to spitcodfry, he isnt lying. some people didnt believe him when he said he was going to valve, and he brings back a pic of him with gabe newell, now people dont believ the info he got, its sad that some people will never learn

Originally posted by Lobster
u could like, subscribe to steam for october at 10 bucks, then buy the retail the following month kind thing

thats quite a good idea, so wot 7.5 quid in the UK :)

Steam is already prepared for credit-card-based payment. It's all in there, just not activated. Check with a good viewer this file in your Steam Directory:

\Steam\skins\grey\steam\creditcard_back.tga

See, that shows were to find the needed numbers on your credit card. So there will be suddenly a new Steam option.

If you check this file:
\Steam\steam\steamui_english.txt

you will find:

"Steam_SubscribeIntro1" "You're about to subscribe to:"
"Steam_SubscribeIntro2" "This will cost $9.95 per month.

Since it is your first time subscribing to a game,
we need to ask you for some additional information."
"Steam_SubscribeIntroProductName" "Valve Premier Pack"
"Steam_SubscribeUserInfo" "Please enter your first and last names, exactly as they
appear on your credit card."
"Steam_EmailAddress" "Email address"
"Steam_EmailAddressVerification" "(for purchase confirmation and receipt)"
"Steam_FirstName" "First Name"
"Steam_LastName" "Last Name"
"Steam_SubscribeCardInfo" "Choose a credit card type, and enter the card number
and expiration date."
"Steam_CreditCardType" "Credit card type"
"Steam_CreditCardNumber" "Credit card number"
"Steam_CreditCardExpiration" "Card expiration"
"Steam_SubscribeBillingInfo" "Enter your address as it appears on your credit card
billing statement."
"Steam_Address" "Address"
"Steam_City" "City"
"Steam_StateOrProvince" "State or Province"
"Steam_Country" "Country"
"Steam_PostCode" "Postal (or Zip) Code"
"Steam_CountryOfResidence" "I currently live in the country selected above"
"Steam_SubscribeReviewInfo" "If there are any errors below, click 'Back' to fix them.\nOtherwise, click 'Purchase' to complete the transaction."
"Steam_ProductCostLabel" "Cost"
"Steam_TaxLabel" "Estimated tax"
"Steam_TotalLabel" "Total"
"Steam_ProcessingSubscriptionInfo" "Processing your subscription.
This should take less than a minute."
"Steam_SubscribeCompleteInfo" "Thank you! Your subscription to the
Valve Premier Pack is complete.

In your Games list, you can now double click the
game to play (or right-click on the game's title and
select 'Play' in the menu.)"

Originally posted by Mr Neutron
a) give you the option of starting download (I don't think they'll just suck up a gig or so of your harddrive without telling you)

Yeah, the Steam dudes told me they'd be making an announcement to the public in advance regarding sending the game...and I'm sure it wouldn't be automatic...it'll probably act like the 'settings' tab for the other games within Steam. All you'd need to do is select the 'Always keep this game up to date' for it.

i have to say im pretty skeptical about a pre-release download. i just don't understand the purpose. why use bandwidth to download a (presumably) huge file to people's HD's when they may or may not even want it ? i mean, this isnt a little update or 10mb mod or anything. if it was going to save time or server load, then i could understand it. as it is though, people who where plannig to buy retail (as opposed to downloading) would opt for the download instead if they thought there was a chance they could play even one minute sooner, creating even more of a demand on the content servers.

im not saying your lying or anything , cod, i just think there was probably a misunderstanding. and i also think that if that was the plan, then we would have heard about it from Gabe. he's been more then generous with info so far, so why keep quiet on something major ?

Ok cod, sorry for lashing out and attacking you.

I'm still not going to believe what you said about Steam and HL2 until Valve can confirm it.

About the encrypted thing. A possibility is that they just send pre-encrypted material, and send the appropriate decryption key starting from 30th only. Case done.

So? The encryption can be broken.

Not that I'm gonna do it.

Mods, dont ban me, im just stating a point that this can become hacker heaver and HL2 will be wared before its retail release.

ignorant people will still try, i want to laugh at them failing.

Me, im getting it retail, i happen to have the patients, and I need to put up the box next to my HL1 box, ive had that box for 3 years, i wonder if its worth anything.... lol

Originally posted by FriScho
Steam is already prepared for credit-card-based payment. It's all in there, just not activated. Check with a good viewer this file in your Steam Directory:

\Steam\skins\grey\steam\creditcard_back.tga

See, that shows were to find the needed numbers on your credit card. So there will be suddenly a new Steam option.

If you check this file:
\Steam\steam\steamui_english.txt

you will find:

"Steam_SubscribeIntro1" "You're about to subscribe to:"
"Steam_SubscribeIntro2" "This will cost $9.95 per month.

Since it is your first time subscribing to a game,
we need to ask you for some additional information."
"Steam_SubscribeIntroProductName" "Valve Premier Pack"
"Steam_SubscribeUserInfo" "Please enter your first and last names, exactly as they
appear on your credit card."
"Steam_EmailAddress" "Email address"
"Steam_EmailAddressVerification" "(for purchase confirmation and receipt)"
"Steam_FirstName" "First Name"
"Steam_LastName" "Last Name"
"Steam_SubscribeCardInfo" "Choose a credit card type, and enter the card number
and expiration date."
"Steam_CreditCardType" "Credit card type"
"Steam_CreditCardNumber" "Credit card number"
"Steam_CreditCardExpiration" "Card expiration"
"Steam_SubscribeBillingInfo" "Enter your address as it appears on your credit card
billing statement."
"Steam_Address" "Address"
"Steam_City" "City"
"Steam_StateOrProvince" "State or Province"
"Steam_Country" "Country"
"Steam_PostCode" "Postal (or Zip) Code"
"Steam_CountryOfResidence" "I currently live in the country selected above"
"Steam_SubscribeReviewInfo" "If there are any errors below, click 'Back' to fix them.\nOtherwise, click 'Purchase' to complete the transaction."
"Steam_ProductCostLabel" "Cost"
"Steam_TaxLabel" "Estimated tax"
"Steam_TotalLabel" "Total"
"Steam_ProcessingSubscriptionInfo" "Processing your subscription.
This should take less than a minute."
"Steam_SubscribeCompleteInfo" "Thank you! Your subscription to the
Valve Premier Pack is complete.

In your Games list, you can now double click the
game to play (or right-click on the game's title and
select 'Play' in the menu.)"

Wow, thanks for that info. That confirms a lot. Good to know they have all the registration procedure stuff ready to go. Here's to hoping it'll be put into action soon :cheers:

speaking of Steam, can anyone log on right now? It wont let me log on, says Steam is down or internet connection down (obviouslly this one is excluded cuz im posting here).

"Here's to hoping it'll be put into action soon"

thought they was goin to do it with CZ but it flopped big style on reviews

Originally posted by Goombatommy
speaking of Steam, can anyone log on right now? It wont let me log on, says Steam is down or internet connection down (obviouslly this one is excluded cuz im posting here).
It works fine for me.

Originally posted by femur
im not saying your lying or anything , cod, i just think there was probably a misunderstanding.

Well unless the Steam guys were talking to me in pig latin there really wasn't much room for a misunderstanding. "We're going to begin sending the game to people's computer's about a week before they can play it." What part of that could I misinterpret?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back