Steam won't work, at all.

Mutley

Tank
Reaction score
On Tuesday I clicked to open Steam and nothing happened, which was strange as last time I used it, it was flawless. I opened my Task Manager to see steam.exe was running in the background but there was no taskbar/dialog/menu up on my screen, as if it wasn't there.

So I deleted my ClientRegistry.blob - tried loading up Steam and I got the same issue. I then updated my Graphics drivers, in which this hailed no results either.

I went further and deleted the steam.dll and steamUI.dll too... in which THEN it started to "update" to fix the files but it just sat at 0%, even after an hour.

So I decided to uninstall Steam and all my games, the Steam folder no longer exists at this point.

I try installing Steam but I get to "Steam is Updating" it gets to 34% then restarts to 0%... in which it just sits at 0% forever.

I just don't know what I can do, I've literally not got Steam on my PC, it just doesn't want to install! Help please. :(

What's your net speed?

Anyway, try deleting the Steam entries in Windows registry, and redownloading the installer.

Okay, I've done a registry clean, as well as go through and delete all the Valve/Steam entries.

I've left it going a while and the 0% is now 3% after doing the registry clean (I wouldn't say that improved it, just I'm being more patient... but waited nearly 40min now :(). I'm on 2mb ADSL, I thought it might of been the Steam servers last night so went to sleep and woke up with the same problems, so it can't be that. :(

Edit: Looking at it now on 3% if I run a window over it, it smears like it isn't responding?

I hope you stopped Steam during the registry clean. You did, right? :|
The point was to have a clean install. Maybe a recent Steam update broke something, post your config.

Yep Steam was stopped. Uninstalled even for when I cleaned the registry.

How do I post my config? Do you mean system spec of a file of somesort?

Thanks for your help. :)

It`d doing it to me too, and checking out the Steampowered forums, seems to be pretty much everyone.

Silent valve update breaks shit again. Nothing new there.

Urgh, some of those responses on the SteamPowered forums... they're just moronic.

Least to say

LolMan Should Be Shot said:
I just wanna play lol.

Nope, stopped working for me too now, this is shit.

It seems to be working again now, seems to be fixed after the TF2 update, after which I quit Steam, reloaded it, at which point steam updated as well.

See hw long it lsts for this time.

Still not fixed for me.

It seems to be working again now, seems to be fixed after the TF2 update, after which I quit Steam, reloaded it, at which point steam updated as well.

See hw long it lsts for this time.

Are you guys on AOL?

I'm on AOL... and by the looks of it most of the Steam forum users with the same problem are too.

It has started doing it again! So pissed off with Steams service recently.

Can't even load it up.

Back