Steam Workshop Content Creators Earn $57M

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has been revealed in an announcement earlier today that creators designing and releasing new game content via the Steam Workshop have earned over a total of $57 million since the launch of the platform over three years ago in late-2011. This ridiculous figure has apparently been split among 1,500 individual contributes spanning 75 countries, all of which have created new content exclusively for Valve titles.

DungeonChivalry.jpg
In the past, workshops for third-party titles outside Valve have been unable to generate any form of revenue for the creators of the game or the content, something which will now change. Following today's post, the first curated workshops for non-Valve games have been opened, specifically for Dungeon Defenders: Eternity and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Both games have already accepted community-created items into their respective ecosystems, including various hats, weapons, and masks.

revenuegraph.jpg
Since third-party companies may now access curated workshops, Valve have released a series of brand new Revenue Tools which contributors can use to track real-time sales data alongside revenue breakdowns. For more information about today's Steam Workshop announcements and improvements, be sure to check out the blog post for yourself.

This is great news; a true milestone for the workshop.

If I had any amount skill I would try my hand at 3D Modeling... Maybe one day...

Congrats to all the content creators, though

I wonder if this means developers will be able to setup their own curated stores soon - I'm sure a lot of developers would like the large amount of creation this brings.

Back