Stop Error 0x0000008E (Blue Screen of Death)

Nith Sahor

Reaction score
Hi there,
I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me with this problem I've been having with Half-Life 2. I am able to play through the first chapter of the game fine until I come to the part where you're in the apartment building, where you go past the Combine troops raiding the one apartment and you come to this hallway on the other side and where that guy gestures to you from the doorway to come in. The moment I see him, the game stops and I get a blue screen of death, which tells me this:
---------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you ahve adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0xE5C6CCF9, 0xF2D13B04, 0x00000000 )

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

-------------------------------------

And that's that. It also happens when I try playing through Route Kanal (I have the save game for the next Chapter) after shooting the second combine guy on the steps and going through the opening in the chain fence down into the city.

My Toshiba laptop's specs are:
Intel P4 2.20 GHz Proc.
60 GB HD Space (about 15 gigs free)
512 MB DDR RAM
32 MB DDR Nvidia GeForce4 460 Go graphics card
(I could tell you more but I think those are the important ones).

Windows tells me that it's something to do with the driver for the graphics card, but I have the latest drivers (which are from 2002). The link it gives me for the new Forceware 66.93 drivers does not support my card and I noticed no effect when I installed it. Also, if it helps, my software DirectX level is 9; the hardware one is 7.

I've checked my computer and I have enough disk space, and my BIOS seems to be ok. My video card runs the game surprisingly well for its age, up until those particular points.

If anybody could offer any insight on this, I would be incredibly grateful.

Thank you in advance,
Nith Sahor.

Nevermind - I found it. Go to www.3dguru.com (?) and get the 56.63 driver and show the finger to those Ainu gorillas at Toshiba (and the guys at Nvidia who care just as little) for abandoning countless people with laptops and Geforce4 laptop cards....

WOW. I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!

Hey!!
I can't seem to get to 3dguru, but at least there's hope ;)
-ron

Wow, you'd think after all of this I would remember the name of the website - its guru3d.com :p

Your Problem

Wow. You almost exactly described the problem I was having. I would get to the guy in the hallway and it would freeze also. I finally got by him one time (might have been cause I crept up to him). And I get the same warning about video card having outdated drivers even though I updated them through dell.
My specs are:
Inspiron 8200 XP SP1
1.6 gHz 256 MB RAM
30 GB HDD
Crystal Audio onboard sound
64MB nVidia GeForce4 440 Go

Don't listen to that ****ing warning it's a ****en lie. Use nvidia 61.76 drivers rather the the newest ones. All problems should be solved.

Nith Sahor said:
Hi there,
I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me with this problem I've been having with Half-Life 2. I am able to play through the first chapter of the game fine until I come to the part where you're in the apartment building, where you go past the Combine troops raiding the one apartment and you come to this hallway on the other side and where that guy gestures to you from the doorway to come in. The moment I see him, the game stops and I get a blue screen of death, which tells me this:
---------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you ahve adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0xE5C6CCF9, 0xF2D13B04, 0x00000000 )

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

-------------------------------------

And that's that. It also happens when I try playing through Route Kanal (I have the save game for the next Chapter) after shooting the second combine guy on the steps and going through the opening in the chain fence down into the city.

My Toshiba laptop's specs are:
Intel P4 2.20 GHz Proc.
60 GB HD Space (about 15 gigs free)
512 MB DDR RAM
32 MB DDR Nvidia GeForce4 460 Go graphics card
(I could tell you more but I think those are the important ones).

Windows tells me that it's something to do with the driver for the graphics card, but I have the latest drivers (which are from 2002). The link it gives me for the new Forceware 66.93 drivers does not support my card and I noticed no effect when I installed it. Also, if it helps, my software DirectX level is 9; the hardware one is 7.

I've checked my computer and I have enough disk space, and my BIOS seems to be ok. My video card runs the game surprisingly well for its age, up until those particular points.

If anybody could offer any insight on this, I would be incredibly grateful.

Thank you in advance,
Nith Sahor.

hi, i think you're graphics card may be below the minimum requirements for half life 2. i dont think it is supported?

Back