Student Taserd for not having ID

If the first tasing does not work then you need more. The first tasing did not work.

Did not work how? Didn't work in the sense that he didn't stand up when the officers threatened him? Start giving some clarity.

I saw the student kicking in one instance.

Oh, you mean when he spazzed in pain after they just tasered him? Gee, I wonder why.

3:10 mark.

Don't stereotype.
I'm a college student, and I have absolutely no problem with police.
In fact, the entire claim that college students can be assumed to hate police is bullshit. Have you even been to a college?
And where is this assumption that all thirty or so witnesses are all going to lie in court coming from?

And what did I tell you about following the letter of the law so closely that it ignores the spirit?

Jeez.

Ive been to a University and didnt recall seeing a thank you parade for the campus police...

Oh, you mean when he spazzed in pain after they just tasered him? Gee, I wonder why.

3:10 mark.

But just a while ago some of you guys said a person would be immobilized after being tasered. how did he spazz in pain then?

Ive been to a University and didnt recall seeing a thank you parade for the campus police...

...are you actually serious with this post?

"THEY DON'T HAVE PARADES. OBVIOUSLY THEY HATE AUTHORITY. **** THE MAN."

was there a thank you parade for custodial engineers? what about caferteria staff? ..and poor Consuelo the chamber maid, her little Pepito will have to forego that operation because his mom expected a donation by from the student body as a token for all her hard work which never came ..oh sad little urchin will you never get your operation?

...are you actually serious with this post?

"THEY DON'T HAVE PARADES. OBVIOUSLY THEY HATE AUTHORITY. **** THE MAN."

Your just mad that your underage drinking and excessive pot smoking is illegal.....assuming your profile is correct.

was there a thank you parade for custodial engineers? what about caferteria staff? ..and poor Consuelo that chamber maind, her little Pepito will have to forego that operation because his mom expected a donation by from the student body as a token for all her hard work which never came ..oh sad little urchin will you never get your operation?

My bad, i forgot the [sarcasm] tag....

There are no "Tyguy makes shitty arguments" parades going on either, but that doesn't mean you're a genius.

Don't stereotype.
I'm a college student, and I have absolutely no problem with police.
In fact, the entire claim that college students can be assumed to hate police is bullshit. Have you even been to a college?
And where is this assumption that all thirty or so witnesses are all going to lie in court coming from?

And what did I tell you about following the letter of the law so closely that it ignores the spirit?

Jeez.

As a matter of fact, I have been to college. I have attended one and visited several others in more than one state. I am also a police officer in a city with a large university. I have been heckled by college students while conducting traffic stops near their frat and sorority houses. "**** the police," "Bitch," and other such things don't tend to exhibit a fondness for the police.

You claim to have no problem with the police, yet you view a poorly shot video in which the incident itself can not be seen for the majority of the video and you automatically assume the police acted improperly.

I didn't say 30 witnesses are going to lie about anything. If someone witnesses an incident which is perfectly lawful, yet that person believes it to be unlawful, are they going to attempt to color it that way? You're damn right they are.

I don't take orders from college students about how to follow the law. I've been doing fine for 10 years now without your help, thank you very much.

But just a while ago some of you guys said a person would be immobilized after being tasered. how did he spazz in pain then?

Muscles have this uncanny ability to move when you jolt electricity through them.

You forget that tasers are often adjustable in terms of their force.

""It's an electrical shock. ... It causes pain," Young said, adding that the drive stun would not likely demobilize a person or cause residual pain after the shock was administered. Young also said a Taser is less forceful than a baton, for example.

But according to a study published in the Lancet Medical Journal in 2001, a charge of three to five seconds can result in immobilization for five to 15 minutes, which would mean that Tabatabainejad could have been physically unable to stand when the officers demanded that he do so.

"It is a real mistake to treat a Taser as some benign thing that painlessly brings people under control," said Peter Eliasberg, managing attorney at the ACLU of Southern California.

"The Taser can be incredibly violent and result in death," Eliasberg said.

According to an ACLU report, 148 people in the United States and Canada have died as a result of the use of Tasers since 1999."

http://dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?id=38960

And before any of you people go into some rant about the ACLU being liberal hippy devil-worshippers (which is popular) and therefore unreliable, stuff it.

There are no "Tyguy makes shitty arguments" parades going on either, but that doesn't mean you're a genius.

When did I say I was a genius? Im not saying im not, I did make a perfectly cooked ego this morning....

Your just mad that your underage drinking and excessive pot smoking is illegal.....assuming your profile is correct.

Are you going anywhere with this? Always fun when people need to dig into irrelevant profile dirt to substitute an actual argument.

Are you going anywhere with this? Always fun when people need to dig into irrelevant profile dirt to substitute an actual argument.

Yes, you hate the police, the government and any type of law associated with the use of force against people.....

Yes, you hate the police, the government and any type of law associated with the use of force against people.....

I see. Very interesting. Couldn't be further from the truth, but still very interesting. Do you have any other data collected off of me that helped you deduce this fantastical assertion?

Muscles have this uncanny ability to move when you jolt electricity through them.

You forget that tasers are often adjustable in terms of their force.

""It's an electrical shock. ... It causes pain," Young said, adding that the drive stun would not likely demobilize a person or cause residual pain after the shock was administered. Young also said a Taser is less forceful than a baton, for example.

But according to a study published in the Lancet Medical Journal in 2001, a charge of three to five seconds can result in immobilization for five to 15 minutes, which would mean that Tabatabainejad could have been physically unable to stand when the officers demanded that he do so.

"It is a real mistake to treat a Taser as some benign thing that painlessly brings people under control," said Peter Eliasberg, managing attorney at the ACLU of Southern California.

"The Taser can be incredibly violent and result in death," Eliasberg said.

According to an ACLU report, 148 people in the United States and Canada have died as a result of the use of Tasers since 1999."

http://dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?id=38960

And before any of you people go into some rant about the ACLU being liberal hippy devil-worshippers (which is popular) and therefore unreliable, stuff it.

The TASER locks you up. There are no spasms. You just seize up. And in all the TASER'ings I've seen, I've never seen anyone who was affected for 15 minutes. The alleged 148 people dying as a result of TASER'ings is misleading as well. None of those people died as a result of the TASER'ing itself. Some died after falling from a height after being TASE'd. Our policy forbids TASE'ing someone if they are somewhere where they could fall from a height. Some died from health conditions brought on by drug use, and very likely would have died while resisting even if they had not been TASE'd. Some died from positional asphyxia.

I see. Very interesting. Couldn't be further from the truth, but still very interesting. Do you have any other data collected off of me that helped you deduce this fantastical assertion?

Come on Absinthe, you've been around for a while. Generally your posts tend to favor a liberal/F%ck the law standpoint......

I don't take orders from college students about how to follow the law.

Well, then what's the point of even talking to you then?
And who is giving you orders?
I asked you to stop making false claims, and I asked you to let me punch you in the face.
Listen, Officer Hapless: if your goal is for common people to like you better, you're going about it all wrong.
That's advice. Not an order.

So far your only argument has been (and I am paraphrasing here):

"We don't have enough infomation to make any conclusions, but I will assume that there's an unspoken conspiracy against the police because a guy once called me a bitch."

And why the hell do you bring up the shoddiness of the amateur video constantly, when I am basing my opinons almost exclusively on the news articles, with the video as a supplement?

Seriously, stop making false and inaccurate claims, let alone so many assumptions.
It's douchey.

Oh shit, a college student just called you douchey!
Yet he also really supports the essential crime-stopping services the police provide?!

Could it be that you're just a douche, regardless of career choice?

Hapless, if a cop tells a person to do something, and that person tells the cop to **** off, what steps is the cop allowed to take at that point?

I ask this because the student tells the cop to **** off at the 1:27 mark after he is asked to stand up. Then you can hear the cop saying "stand up or you'll be tased again." As we all know, the student refused to stand up and he got tased again.

Mecha, your calling a police officer a douche for defending the actions of the officers in the video and giving his own reasoning......whos the douche?

Hapless, if a cop tells a person to do something, and that person tells the cop to **** off, what steps is the cop allowed to take at that point?

I ask this because the student tells the cop to **** off at the 1:27 mark after he is asked to stand up. Then you can hear the cop saying "stand up or you'll be tased again." As we all know, the student refused to stand up and he got tased again.

Depends on whether the order given was lawful. If I, as a police officer, tell you to give me $20 and you tell me to **** off, well, there's nothing I can do to you legally. If I, as a police officer, tell you to turn around and place your hands behind your back because you are under arrest, and you respond the same way, I am well within policy and law to spray or TASE you.

Mecha, your calling a police officer a douche for defending the actions of the officers in the video and giving his own reasoning......whos the douche?

He's really smart because he is a college student and has taken a logic class. He knows everything and is therefore superior to all, including lowly police officers like me.
He even assumes that I have never been to college, but only he can make assumptions because of his status as really smart college guy. I should know better than to challenge his colossal intellect, because to do so is douchey.

"What did I tell you...." is a request and not an order?

Many college kids think they are more intelligent than everyone else, including police officers, by virtue of being college students. I think they are wrong. You see, at least police officers have to take, and pass, an IQ test before they are allowed to join the force, so rest assured that police officers are not dumb. As for college kids being smart, anyone can study and get good grades. Proof that some college kids are dumb***** who think they are smart is the kid featured in this video. You know, the one who got tasered like a thousand times because he did not understand that cops ought to be respected. He must have felt like Gandhi when he was beaten repeatedly by a police officer in South Africa because he was convinced that the police officer's requests were unfair. At least Gandhi did not tell the officer to **** off.

Proof that some college kids are dumb***** who think they are smart is the kid featured in this video. You know, the one who got tasered like a thousand times.
Amen. But I think its more of the age than being in college. Most kids take morning/afternoon classes, I'm thankful for night classes. :D

Well, then what's the point of even talking to you then?
And who is giving you orders?
I asked you to stop making false claims, and I asked you to let me punch you in the face.
Listen, Officer Hapless: if your goal is for common people to like you better, you're going about it all wrong.
That's advice. Not an order.

So you don't see any point in talking to me unless you I accept your advice? I am making no more assumptions than you are. I see this incident in one way, you see it in another. I have actually been involved in situations similar to this, on numerous occasions, while I can only assume since you are a college student, that you have not. My view is influenced by experience, while yours is influenced by what?

Mechagodzilla said:
So far your only argument has been (and I am paraphrasing here):

"We don't have enough infomation to make any conclusions, but I will assume that there's an unspoken conspiracy against the police because a guy once called me a bitch."

And why the hell do you bring up the shoddiness of the amateur video constantly, when I am basing my opinons almost exclusively on the news articles, with the video as a supplement?

My argument is that from what can be seen and heard on the video, there does not appear to me, a trained experienced police officer, to be anything excessive. I also argue that even my perception MAY be inaccurate because of the shoddiness of the video. You claim that I make a false assumption that college students, generally, aren't fond of the police. I argue that, IN MY EXPERIENCE, that is accurate. In general, most people aren't particularly fond of the police unless they need us. College students are no different. I also argue that people often make false claims against police officers, and gave just one example of an instance in which I was the victim of this. That was just one example out of several.

Mechagodzilla said:
Seriously, stop making false and inaccurate claims, let alone so many assumptions.
It's douchey.

Give me some examples of these false assumptions and inaccurate claims.

Mechagodzilla said:
Oh shit, a college student just called you douchey!
Yet he also really supports the essential crime-stopping services the police provide?!

Could it be that you're just a douche, regardless of career choice?

Gosh, I wish I was as smart as you. If only I was a current college student instead of a former one, I might aproach your greatness. Really though, I think I'd rather be a douche than an arrogant p***k.

He's really smart because he is a college student and has taken a logic class. He knows everything and is therefore superior to all, including lowly police officers like me.

- I haven't taken a "logic class". I'm self-taught in the art of Making Sense.

- I don't know everything. All I do is make sense.

- If you refuse to make sense, then I am superior at making sense.

- My superiority comes mainly from my relative inability to conflate individual actions with those of an entire minority group. For example:

--- I am capable of judging a difference between normal police officers and police officers who attack a man who is not a threat.
--- I am capable of judging between nice police officers and douchey police officers who make constant assumptions about a man's character based almost entirely on generalizations about his social standing.
---Etc.

He even assumes that I have never been to college
No, I ASKED you if you went to college, because you kept making so many bizarre generalizations about college students, like that they subconsciously conspire to undermine police investigations.

only he can make assumptions
All I'm asking for are assumptions that are based on fact and reason.

I should know better than to challenge his colossal intellect
Try challenging my intellect, please.

I would love for that to happen.

"What did I tell you...." is a request and not an order?
Actually, it's a question.

You can tell that it's a question because it starts with the word "what".

And the request was that you not focus so much on the letter of the law instead of the spirit.
That's a reasonable request, and you agreed to it earlier.

What Mecha doesn't know is that a sentence can also start with the word "what." By the way, the period goes inside the quote. I am not a college student and even I know that.

- I haven't taken a "logic class". I'm self-taught in the art of Making Sense.

- I don't know everything. All I do is make sense.

- If you refuse to make sense, then I am superior at making sense.

- My superiority comes mainly from my relative inability to conflate individual actions with those of an entire minority group. For example:

--- I am capable of judging a difference between normal police officers and police officers who attack a man who is not a threat.
--- I am capable of judging between nice police officers and douchey police officers who make constant assumptions about a man's character based almost entirely on generalizations about his social standing.
---Etc.

I have stated repeatedly that a person does not need to be a threat to be resisting, nor does he need to be a threat to have force used on him.

Mechagodzilla said:
No, I ASKED you if you went to college, because you kept making so many bizarre generalizations about college students, like that they subconsciously conspire to undermine police investigations.

You said, "Have you ever even been to a college?" Now, I realize that the internet is a hard place to convey emotions, but this to me sounds like a smartass way of implying that I haven't. And where was it, exactly, that I said anything about a bizarre conspiracy?

Mechagodzilla said:
All I'm asking for are assumptions that are based on fact and reason.

Where have I not?

Mechagodzilla said:
Try challenging my intellect, please.

I would love for that to happen.

Ad hominem attack? Implying that I am incapable of challenging your intellect? In an argument from the logic master? Whoa.

Mechagodzilla said:

And the request was that you not focus so much on the letter of the law instead of the spirit.
That's a reasonable request, and you agreed to it earlier.

No, the question implies that you earlier told me to do something, in effect giving me an order.

You see, at least police officers have to take, and pass, an IQ test before they are allowed to join the force, so rest assured that police officers are not dumb.

People with high IQs are entirely capable of being stupid. That applies both to police officers and college students, as well as everybody else. Your speech isn't revealing anything new.

So you don't see any point in talking to me unless you I accept your advice?
When that advice is "stop making stuff up", then yes.
Absolutely.
My view is influenced by experience, while yours is influenced by what?

I already told you: it is influenced by the several news articles which I read, and the video which I saw.
I also listened to your opinion and explained that it wasn't accurate.

You said that there was no problem unless he was handcuffed while tastered.
I explained that he was handcuffed while tasered.

You said that tasering is acceptable when there is enough resistance.
There was no mention of any resistance in any of the accounts.
My argument is that from what can be seen and heard on the video, there does not appear to me, a trained experienced police officer, to be anything excessive.
No, your argument was that everyone should be quiet because it's impossible for anyone to comprehend an event based on a video.
Then you reversed that position by adding a MAY:
I also argue that even my perception MAY be inaccurate because of the shoddiness of the video.
I agree, except for the "may" part and the "video" part.
Your perception seems to be off when you say some things are facts when they aren't and make assumptions about the witnesses's character that sound paranoid.
You have said that the firsthand eyewitnesses who form part of our interpretation of events are probably unreliable, without any reason to believe as much.
I argue that, IN MY EXPERIENCE, that is accurate.
The people in your experience and the people in the video are not the same people.
In general, most people aren't particularly fond of the police unless they need us. College students are no different.
With a non-specific generalization like that, you can argue anything. I'd like to see better.
I also argue that people often make false claims against police officers, and gave just one example of an instance in which I was the victim of this. That was just one example out of several.
Claiming that's the case without any reasonable evidence is paranoid.
Give me some examples of these false assumptions and inaccurate claims.
See above and previous post.
I think I'd rather be a douche than an arrogant p***k.
Mission accomplished?

What Mecha doesn't know is that a sentence can also start with the word "what." By the way, the period goes inside the quote. I am not a college student and even I know that.

The period is usually not included inside the quotation when it isn't part of the quoted passage.
I'm not a stickler for grammar though, as grammar is far more about clarity than formality.
Also, you are accurate with the "what", but you failed to notice that the entire quoted section was "What did I tell you..."
Obviously that's a question when the second word is "did".
Don't be pedantic.

Mecha, your rebuttals are getting stupid now.....its safe to say that an actual police officer might know a few more things than you on the subject...seeing as your experience goes as far back as reading news articles......

I've just watched the video and I can say that this was dumb.

There was no reason for him to be tased, at all. As Absin has been saying, there were three officers there. The use of that force is not necessary in that situation. The video did not show all of the events leading up to it, but, c'mon... was that 100% necessary?

I've just watched the video and I can say that this was dumb.

There was no reason for him to be tased, at all. As Absin has been saying, there were three officers there. The use of that force is not necessary in that situation. The video did not show all of the events leading up to it, but, c'mon... was that 100% necessary?

Read the last few pages

Back