Sunday Halloween Irks Some in Bible Belt

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Sunday Halloween Irks Some in Bible Belt

"It's a day for the good Lord, not for the devil," said Barbara Braswell, who plans to send her 4-year-old granddaughter Maliyah out trick-or-treating in a princess costume on Saturday instead

"You just don't do it on Sunday," said Sandra Hulsey of Greenville, Ga. "That's Christ's day. You go to church on Sunday, you don't go out and celebrate the devil. That'll confuse a child."

not being the religious type I really dont see what the big deal is. I dont think most kids associate Halloween with the devil ..at least I know I didnt when I was young. This, IMHO, is just a case of parents taking things a little too seriously

These people are hicks
Please ignore them -_-
Besides, The Lord's day
Is Saturday; not Sunday
(7th day of the week)

"You just don't do it on Sunday," said Sandra Hulsey of Greenville, Ga. "That's Christ's day. You go to church on Sunday, you don't go out and celebrate the devil. That'll confuse a child."

Hehe, that's pretty funny. I guess it's ok for kids to go out and "celebrete the devil" just as long as it isn't on a Sunday. I hope the Satan worshipers take note of that.

Ghost Freeman said:
Yeah, GG the Church, we still let you make our decisions for us :|

just remember these words, you'll do fine:

"god has no place within these walls just like facts have no place in organized religion" - Supernintendo Chalmers

They allways find somthing to complain about -_-

Ritz said:
They allways find somthing to complain about -_-

If I didn't know your attitude better...I might have hard time figuring out who you were actually talking about.

CptStern, i never forget these words.

"Human see, human do" - Planet of the Apes.

The relevance? Well...whatever you see it to be ;)

hmmm we're all apes? chuck heston is gonna be really mad when he sees the statue of liberty sticking out of the sand? ...HL2.net has gone gold? I think your "human see, human do" was referring to one of those things ...methinks it had something to do with mr heston :E

This is nothing!
I'm pissed that Christmas this year is occurring on Festivus! Get your Mighty Jesus Mumbo-Jumbo out of my everyman celebration!

I've banned Christmas in favour of Festivus this year ...It's a Festivus Miracle!!!

...plans to send her 4-year-old granddaughter Maliyah out trick-or-treating in a princess costume on Saturday instead.

That kid's going to be very sad when she realises she's the only person wearing a costume while going door-to door in exchange for no candy.

heh the parents are doing far more harm dressing her as a princess then if they had chosen a Devil costume ...we need less spoiled women, not more :)

stupid princess costume ...heh there's a woman here at work who I call "princess" ...you know the type .."ooooh my nail broke, I cant go in to work today" ...she doesnt shut up about all her material possessions:

princess: "well we just bought a $1500 bed for our guest room"

Stern thinking to self: "ya I'm sure all the homelss people downtown would be HAPPY to hear that ...you spoiled little $%^@!!!!"

/rant

dont mind me, I'm still giddy from the news of hl2 going gold ...gold GOLD BABY!!!

Ikerous said:
These people are hicks
Please ignore them -_-
Haha... yes... listen to him...

I woulda thought these freaks would get off Halloween's wang a long time ago... surely they can't be getting much pleasure anymore... :|

What is this festivus? Over here, some areas choose to have "winterval" instead of Christmas. In fact, there are places which make apoint of saying X-mas by actually placing an X over the Christ part of Christmas :|

Farrowlesparrow said:
What is this festivus? Over here, some areas choose to have "winterval" instead of Christmas. In fact, there are places which make apoint of saying X-mas by actually placing an X over the Christ part of Christmas :|

Actually, X-mas is a valid abreviation for Christmas.
I read an article about it somewheres. Basically, the X represents the cross, or something like that, not censoring Jebus's name.

Well, on the plus side my birthday is just before Halloween, so come my party on Saturday, if little Sally happens to turn up on my doorstep, I'll be sure to welcome her in for some cake and tea.

:cheers: Here's to posts which lack any real relevance... HL2 GOLD!!!

Mechagodzilla said:
Actually, X-mas is a valid abreviation for Christmas.
I read an article about it somewheres. Basically, the X represents the cross, or something like that, not censoring Jebus's name.

That may be so, but many people do not see it that way. Also, what I described was litterally, a big X over Christ in Christmas.

Edit: Its not that I particually think Christmas is sacred, far from it. For me and my family(All of us Christian), its just a time to enjoy being together, eat nice food and generally enjoy life (My cousins also come round). What I don't like is people's motivation for using X-Mas and winterval.

Course, this is'int just limited to the Bible Belt. Its just more mediaized because of America's Liberties. Dont h8, Dont h8

K e r b e r o s said:
Course, this is'int just limited to the Bible Belt. Its just more mediaized because of America's Liberties. Dont h8, Dont h8

what are you saying? this happens in every country? ummmmmm no, that would be laughed at in canada ..sure it may happen in small pockets (menonite country maybe) but en masse? no ..this is endemic of christian fundamentalist states

And besides, God created everything in 700,000 years (hence the 7) That would mean christians would go to church every 700,000 years

Or at least thats my theory, the old testement is a code that we as a species have to decipher are own, hence some of these things in the bible are metaphors, similes, etc.

As for Halloween, it is not to celebrate the devil. It is a Pagan belief that every year, they would leave food, etc on their doorsteps to avoid being attacked by demons (or something like that)

For all the posts I see in these forums picking out some of the more radical actions of certain christians, lets not forget alot of the great things some christian organizations do for their community and the world.

I could post countless links to many things christians do to help people everywhere but I dont think I need to. :)

This is true. :D

But these are, "American" Christians were discussing here. Because of that, noone will ever admit in their own countries, they have the same sense of radicalism.

Well they might, but then they'll play tid-for-tad on the subject argueing, "well, here in (x country) we dont have much of that. Heres why America sucks...(y reason)."

@ Cb:
I dunno about other people, but I mock how they have misintepreted halloween as a devil-worshipping thing when it's not, and as a result are taking fun and candy from thier kids for no good reason.
Why won't anyone think of the children! :p

K e r b e r o s said:
This is true. :D

But these are, "American" Christians were discussing here. Because of that, noone will ever admit in their own countries, they have the same sense of radicalism.

Well they might, but then they'll play tid-for-tad on the subject argueing, "well, here in (x country) we dont have much of that. Heres why America sucks...(y reason)."

you're putting words in my mouth, I never said that, I just alluded to the point that it seems that these occurances are common in the bible belt

Mechagodzilla said:
@ Cb:
I dunno about other people, but I mock how they have misintepreted halloween as a devil-worshipping thing when it's not, and as a result are taking fun and candy from thier kids for no good reason.
Why won't anyone think of the children! :p
Yeah, but still, puts a bad taste in my mouth when people act like all religious people are like that.

And admittedly they have got it wrong, but still.

But then surely that would mean Satan = Candy :O

Aha, in one crushing blow I shall devour the devil in a fit of sugar coated glory and rid the world of evil forever.

CptStern said:
you're putting words in my mouth, I never said that, I just alluded to the point that it seems that these occurances are common in the bible belt

I understand what your saying, it is pretty funny. But I notice all of your posts on christians and christianity are usually on a negative note. Why is that?

Phraxtion said:
I understand what your saying, it is pretty funny. But I notice all of your posts on christians and christianity are usually on a negative note. Why is that?

Well I don't know about Stern, but I don't like religion very much in general and how a lot of people use it.

Personally I think many of the more extreme forms are hurting society and its culture. I think it's a good thing that the more extreme forms are slowly losing their hold on people little by little over the last couple centuries. Eventually I think humans will slowly continue to lose religion altogether. I think the philosophical ideas of God and the meaning of life will still be around, but I think organized religion will disapear in a few centuries.

Please don't take offense. Just my opinion.

ComradeBadger said:
Extremists in any form are a bad thing :p

Heh, true. However my view of religious extremists is probably what many people would consider mainstream.

How do you mean? Mainstream religious people are extreme? Or your views are mainstream?

"Hurting society and its culture"...sorry to be the one to tell you this, but actually "religion" is the majority of society and its culture.

CptStern doesn't like religion because he was stung by a Christian bee when he was a child :p

Phraxtion said:

as a former catholic and theology student I'm well aware of the many shortcomings of christendom ..ya ok, I dislike christianity because in the last few years a moral minority has been all too vocal ...for example, last year 2000 christians marched on parliament hill (ottawa) demading the government not allow same sex marriages or as they put it "sinning sodomites". The archbishop on national tv called gays "sinners and sodomites" yet he has been more than neglegant in prosecuting quite a few priests that molested children

...ok I gave you the long version. Short version: I dont want anyone saying what I can and cant do, especially people who feel it's their moral obligation to interfere with what I do

Farrowlesparrow said:
Hurting society and its culture...sorry to be the one to tell you this, but actually "religion" is the majority of society and its culture.

CptStern doesn't like religion because he was stung by a Christian bee when he was a child :p

LOL!!!! heheh, catholic ...but still true :E

Back