Super happy NPC spawning guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, but it causes the game to crash. having said this i think there is one already spawned in 'dark energy'. breen sits in a little box for the breencasts so it's probably the same for the advisor.

also something which i thought was quite neat, there is a replica of the black mesa test chamber from half life 1 which you can walk around in in 'point insertion', there is also a little train carriage, and a section of nova prospect just floating in space.

i know this is probably old news but i just like the way they build the game, with things floating everywhere that they link video's to rather than just making a floating giff.

come to think of it, does anyone know how to make those video things? it's hard to explain what i mean.

rambler said:
maybe, but i cant see it. i'm going to try to detirmine what it might be by looking at error messages that i'll create by using ent_setname on npc_alyx or one of the others.
Hmm, crazy idea:
Maybe if you turn on developer mode the name and location of the files will come up when they play.

The only way to have a talking npc to stop is to instruct him/her to enact a void scene. A simple way to see an unused model in action,while not fully compatible and less practical than just loading the thing in model viewer,is to rename its model as i.e. the scanner model.

One thing: not all the characters are able to "remember" their relationship settings over savegames. I.e. you can tell a vortigaunt to be friendly against a turret and it will comply,but if you save & reload,he won't remember anything of that. In that case you'd better set an ent_fire command to tell the game that every time a condition is met like that the Vortigaunt discovering an enemy,then a setrelationship command is fired. If you really cannot find a condition that applies at every moment and as soon as you load your savegame,then create somewhere hidden in the map a combine and a zombie that battle each other,each possessing an ent_fire command that makes them regain full health when hit,and link the being hit of one of them to the setrelationship

rambler said:
yes, but it causes the game to crash. having said this i think there is one already spawned in 'dark energy'. breen sits in a little box for the breencasts so it's probably the same for the advisor.

also something which i thought was quite neat, there is a replica of the black mesa test chamber from half life 1 which you can walk around in in 'point insertion', there is also a little train carriage, and a section of nova prospect just floating in space.

i know this is probably old news but i just like the way they build the game, with things floating everywhere that they link video's to rather than just making a floating giff.

come to think of it, does anyone know how to make those video things? it's hard to explain what i mean.

I've seen that, and it's kinda freaky. I shot it and it kinda hovered foward, swiped a claw, then hovered back

UltimaApocalyspe said:
I've seen that, and it's kinda freaky. I shot it and it kinda hovered foward, swiped a claw, then hovered back
isn't that it's attack animation or something?

the ichtyosaur does attack and deal damage for real,at least if you go in front of it...it just has not enough animations and moves too fast...maybe it would be acceptable if spawned in a tank of water as big as a whole level,though,someone should try and see how's in there

xdiesp said:
the ichtyosaur does attack and deal damage for real,at least if you go in front of it...it just has not enough animations and moves too fast...maybe it would be acceptable if spawned in a tank of water as big as a whole level,though,someone should try and see how's in there
Nope, tried in Gmod, and the Coast areas. It just floats there if it doesn't spawn underground halfway, just bobbing up and down in the same spot.

TollBooth Willie said:
Nope, tried in Gmod, and the Coast areas. It just floats there if it doesn't spawn underground halfway, just bobbing up and down in the same spot.
Probably needs some nodes

TollBooth Willie said:
if you use the give command instead of npc_create they don't appear bellow ground and if you walk up to their mouths they will kill you.

I don't think it really has any AI though. Yeah they just bite, and it moves from its spot when it does.

TollBooth Willie said:
I don't think it really has any AI though. Yeah they just bite, and it moves from its spot when it does.
I think they move forward when they attack and then drift back again.

It's funny when you spawn someone with the gravgun. They have it between their legs and they don't even have their hands on it.

It'd be even funnier if they grabbed an apple with it heheh.

okidoki said:
It's funny when you spawn someone with the gravgun. They have it between their legs and they don't even have their hands on it.

It'd be even funnier if they grabbed an apple with it heheh.
That's because they have no code/animations to use it. The same happens with the crossbow.

Magicalmonkey where u said npc_create_equipment weapon_shotgun; wait; npc_create npc_alyx". is it just npc_create_equipment weapon_shotgun npc_create npc_alyx

right forget that when i type in npc_create_equipment smg1 (i ahve to do that because when i type in npc_create_equipment_smg1 it says unkown command) so once i typed in npc_create_equipment smg1 i type in npc_create npc_citizen and then the citizen spawns but has no gun and it says
Attempted to create unknown entity type SMG1!
sombody help plz

where to find gcf.?

MagicalMonkey said:
There are a hell of a lot of scenes. They're all located in the half-life 2 content gcf.

where do you find the content gcf. for hl 2? please tell me!

clockwherk: check the programfiles\valve\steam\steamapps\ folder and open those big gcf files with GCFscape

I think there us no explosive barrel spawn it is probly a normal barrel set on explosive mode

Please Help!

Hi, i cant get any of this enting studfff to work... is it a diff mod of gmod 9? cause i mean, cant spawn srtriders or asnything, what i do?

killman said:
I think there us no explosive barrel spawn it is probly a normal barrel set on explosive mode
Not sure, try typing in console, thats what i do, cant think of how many times its crahsed tho... wait, dont do that, its stupid..... or is it?

MagicalMonkey said:
Here's some info on how to spawn different NPCs and how to have fun with them. I'm pretty much certain it's incomplete so contribute anything I've missed and I'll edit it into this post with credit.

The Basics

To spawn an npc (with a few exceptions), look at the area of ground where you want it to spawn, then open up the console (~ key for most, below esc for all) and type "npc_create [npc name]". You can also spawn them aimed away from you using npc_create_aimed, but I haven't been able to make this command work without having an npc of the same type spawned normally first.

To give your npcs weapons, you have to use the npc_create_equipment command. If you wanted to spawn alyx with a shotgun for instance, you'd type "npc_create_equipment weapon_shotgun; wait; npc_create npc_alyx".

To bind a spawning command to a key, type "bind "[key]" "[command]"".

Now you can create some huge zombies vs antlions vs combine vs alyx clones battles. When positioning troops for battle, type "ai_disable" to stop them fighting until you're done positioning. Type it again to turn ai back on.

Fun

NPCs all have inputs which you can activate using the ent_fire command. Some inputs are common to all NPCs, some are unique to one or two NPCs. To list all the inputs (and outputs, although I don't know if they're much use) of an NPC, type "ent_info [npc name]". As far as I can see, all the inputs listed above setrelationships are specific to certain NPCs.

If you want to actually input something to an NPC, you have to name it first. To do this, type "ent_setname [name]". Once you've named an npc, you can then type "ent_fire [name] [input]" and do cool stuff like set them on fire.

To set things on fire, type "ent_setname [name]; wait; ent_fire [name] ignite". I found that code posted by somebody on another forum and it made me want to find out other similar things I could do, and find out I did.

A couple of other useful global inputs are kill and sethealth. There's also a skin input which I'm guessing changes the model or textures but I have no idea how to use it, so if anybody can help with that it'd be much appreciated.

NPC List

Where inputs are blank I've found nothing useful, but I might have missed something (or I might have omitted something you would have found useful).

Combine

Footsoldiers

Combine Soldier: npc_combine_s

Metrocop: npc_metropolice ____ Inputs: enablemanhacktoss - I haven't been able to get this to work. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Sniper: npc_sniper

Vehicles
All of these remain stationary
For these use give rather than npc_create. They will spawn above you, rather than underground/inside the ground.

Strider: npc_strider ____ Inputs: setcannontarget - kills things - usage "ent_fire [name of strider] setcannontarget [name of target]" | setminiguntarget - useless, aims at feet of target ____ Notes: Targets must be named using ent_setname. On some levels you have to noclip upwards a little to spawn a strider because it will sink into the ground otherwise. If a strider impales an antlion guard it will fly away.

Dropship: npc_combinedropship ____ Notes: Lots of inputs, the ones I tried didn't work. Test out more if you can be bothered.

Gunship: npc_combinegunship ____ Inputs: dogroundattack - shoots a laser at the ground directly beneath it. Will continue to do so as long as enemies of the combine are beneath it.

Helicopter: npc_helicopter ____ Inputs: dropbomb ____ Notes: Lots of inputs, lots crashed the game. Test out more if you can be bothered.

Misc
Scanners and manhacks are spawned on the near side of the wall pointed at

Scanner: npc_cscanner ____ Inputs: equipmine | deploymine | disablespotlight | inspecttargetspotlight - usage "ent_fire [name of scanner] inspecttargetspotlight [name of target] | inspecttargetphoto | <set/clear>followtarget | setflightspeed ____ Notes: Targets must be named using ent_setname.

Manhack: npc_manhack

Rollermine: npc_rollermine ____ Inputs: respondtoexplodechirp - makes it explode

Stalker: npc_stalker ____ Notes: Does nothing but waddle around a bit. Shot me with a laser once in the three times I spawned one. Crashes game when killed. Not recommended.

Wildlife

Antlions

Antlion: npc_antlion ____ Inputs: <hear/ignore>bugbait - buggy. will alternately attack you and love you. | burrow | unburrow

Antlion Guard: npc_antlionguard ____ Inputs: setchargetarget - usage "ent_fire [antlion guard name] setchargetarget [target name]" | clearchargetarget | setshovetarget | ragdoll - makes it die ____ Notes: Targets must be named using ent_setname.

Zombies and Headcrabs

Zombie: npc_zombie

Fast Zombie: npc_fastzombie

Poison Zombie: npc_poisonzombie

Headcrab: npc_headcrab ____ Inputs: burrowimmediate | unburrow

Fast Headcrab: npc_headcrab_fast

Poison Headcrab: npc_headcrab_poison

Allies

Vortigaunt: npc_vortigaunt

Citizen: npc_citizen ____ Inputs: giveweapon - usage "ent_fire [name of citizen] [weapon {eg weapon_shotgun}]" | setmedic<on/off> | setammoresupplier<on/off> | setreadiness<low/medium/high>

Characters
setexpressionoverride is an input which allows you to make a character enact any scene. The usage is "ent_fire [character name] setexpressionoverride [file path of scene]". For example, to make alyx perform the gman's closing speech, you would name alyx alyx and type "ent_fire alyx setexpressionoverride scenes\citadel\gman_out".

Alyx: npc_alyx ____ Inputs: setreadiness<low/medium/high> | outsidetransition - places her in front of you | setexpressionoverride

Barney: npc_barney ____ Inputs: setreadiness<low/medium/high> | outsidetransition - places him in front of you | setexpressionoverride

Breen: npc_breen ____ Inputs: ____ setexpressionoverride

Dog: npc_dog ____ Inputs: setexpressionoverride ____ Notes: There are lots of inputs to do with playing catch that I couldn't get to work properly. Dog's AI without
scripting is "run away".

Eli: npc_eli ____ Inputs: setexpressionoverride ____

Gman: npc_gman ____ Inputs: setexpressionoverride

Kleiner: npc_kleiner ____ Inputs: setexpressionoverride

Father Grigori: npc_monk ____ Inputs: setexpressionoverride | perfectaccuracy<on/off>

Mossman: npc_mossman ____ Inputs: setexpressionoverride

Those are all the npcs I currently know of. To find the name of an npc while playing you can type "ent_show_response_criteria" and it'll come up with their name (along with some other stuff if developer is set to verbose).

There are more things to input to than NPCs. Type "ent_fire " and a list of non-NPC entities with inputs will appear under the console. I think these differ from level to level, and they let you do things like stopping the antlions spawning at the beginning of Highway 17.

I have no idea how to spawn explosive barrels etc or whether it's even possible, but hopefully someone will find a way.

I think that's about it. Hope it's of some use.
Yea, thats great... how i get it to work? i mean.... i just cant

ríomhaire said:
That's because they have no code/animations to use it. The same happens with the crossbow.
yea, i tried that, its funny as its like in the midddl legs aye? and, i got it to hit a antlion and it disspaeared? whats up with that?

Luke0086 said:
i dont know about the ones with the blue lasers but to spawn one of the turrets that are in the ceiling type "npc_create npc_turret_ceiling" :eek:
Thanks, ill try that :D i have not yet gotten any commands to work, please tell me how to spawn striders, i mean , tried it but... IR DOENST WORK FOR ME!!!!!:flame:

Advice Please!

:frog:
Jaesiff The Only said:
Thanks, ill try that :D i have not yet gotten any commands to work, please tell me how to spawn striders, i mean , tried it but... IR DOENST WORK FOR ME!!!!!:flame:
anywayz, i spawned the ceiling one, but... how i get it toi work, i can not gert it too shoot, some advice please. :D i would really liek that, im a bit depressed :( that i cannot get much to work :( :( :( it makes the game really borring, :*( but, ill keep trying!

Edcrab said:
I'm yet to find a way to rotate the snipers... they're rather cheap, they're just like the "cardboard cutouts" that Valve used in the first game. Totally invulnerable to everything except explosives- it'd have been far better to have had snipers as differently-equipped Combine soldiers, in my book.

There's apparently a way to force friendlies to drop their current weapon, as well as making them switch to a different one- anyone shed a little light on that?

We're all still to find the options that make a Combine Elite a Combine Elite, and what makes a turret friendly (although turret_buddy and setrelationship obviously have something to do with it)...
I might be the only one who knows how tro make a sniiper move around, like on a roof in gm_construct! its cool as/. they liek move aorund, i can never kill them though, they get me first! no matter how far away i am!!!!!! :D

vegeta897 said:
That is impossible. What you saw was a vortigaunt standing in the skybox. (Located in some remote aread of the map)
No not really, I can make a vortigaunt reallllllly tall, its simplse comms, like adj_height and stuff like that, type it in and it may come up with diff comms

bloody hell - the carnage of spamming :|
why are you answering questions peopled asked months ago
ridiculous

john3571000 said:
bloody hell - the carnage of spamming :|
why are you answering questions peopled asked months ago
ridiculous
Well now thats not very nice, next time just call him a n00b.

Sparda said:
Well now thats not very nice, next time just call him a n00b.
I must be ina diff time thingy, when i posted this it was 5:42PM 17th May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back