TF2 and High Pings?

Monique

Reaction score
This is a longshot, but I keep searching the internet for threads and nothing's worked. When I called my tech support for the modem, they acted like I was an idiot: "Are you sure it's turned on, miss? The green light is on...?"

Anyway, so I just got brand new 8 meg DSL. When I download things through my browser or mIRC, it's great. We're talking like 800kbps uploads and downloads, no lag, smooth sailing. In other games, it connects well too. I've ran a few bandwidth tests, and my pings average 40-50 on those.

Whenever I play TF2, however, all bets are off. I can't find servers. This is the initial problem. When I hit refresh, it frequently disconnects Steam. Finally, when they do refresh, about thirty servers show up and all of them are around 200 ping according to the Steam server finder.

When I join, sometimes my ping is only 100, but it's never really "low." I live in Seattle, and my friend from New York gets the same ping as me on a Seattle server. Back when I had DSL from the same people a year or so back, I had like 2 meg and I had pings of about 20 on Counter-strike 1.6.

Suffice to say I'm really confused. The modem comes with a built in firewall, called 2WIRE. It REALLY ****ing sucks, and I've managed to open ports 27000-27070 which some sites recommended, but it seems to do nothing.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. If it's a problem you think the company could fix, let me know what I should say to the tech support so they actually listen...

Also one more weird thing: my IP traces to Denver sometimes, but I live in Seattle. I've asked the tech about it, and they always reset my IP, but it goes back to CO sometimes. Othertimes it says Seattle. It's really weird--could this be a part of the problem?

Back