TF2 Error

Sheepo

The Freeman
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already.

Problem: I turn on TF2. It get's to loading screen. It closes the game. An error message says "You need atleast Directx 8.0 to run this game" (paraphrased). I stare at screen. I have Directx 9.0. I turn on TFC. I kill EVERYBODY. TF2 still doesn't work. I scream, "How much more blood must you see spilt before you see reason and run the game!". My computer remains silent.

Further taunting by my computer: I've tried many different variations of many different solutions I've found on the internet. All have failed.

My next solution: Reinstalling Directx tomorrow.

My question: Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem if reinstalling Directx doesn't work?

Many thanks.

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Problem: I turn on TF2. It get's to loading screen. It closes the game. An error message says "You need atleast Directx 8.0 to run this game" (paraphrased). I stare at screen. I have Directx 9.0. I turn on TFC. I kill EVERYBODY. TF2 still doesn't work. I scream, "How much more blood must you see spilt before you see reason and run the game!". My computer remains silent.

Further taunting by my computer: I've tried many different variations of many different solutions I've found on the internet. All have failed.

My next solution: Reinstalling Directx tomorrow.

My question: Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem if reinstalling Directx doesn't work?

Many thanks.

What graphics card do you have?

Means it needs a DirectX 8.0 video card to play it, you probably don't have a 8.0 compatible video card.

Means it needs a DirectX 8.0 video card to play it, you probably don't have a 8.0 compatible video card.
Shouldn't Directx 9.0 be compatible with a Directx 8.0 video card though?

Sorry for sounding stupid, I'm a total n00b for computer/technical stuff.

You can have DX 9 (or 8) installed, but that doesn't mean your graphics card supports it (them). It'll fall back to previous versions.

You can have DX 9 (or 8) installed, but that doesn't mean your graphics card supports it (them). It'll fall back to previous versions.
Do you know how I can make my graphics cards support DX 9?
...er, please:bounce::cheese::O:angel::angel:

thanks.

Do you know how I can make my graphics cards support DX 9?
...er, please:bounce::cheese::O:angel::angel:

thanks.

there is a hardware part to each DX version. You can have the software part and not have the hardware part. This is something that most people do not understand. If you don't like it then you will have to talk to mr.gates.

Thanks for the info, this thread has pretty much served it's purpose. Now I know that this is either a beta problem or I need a better computer.

I actually don't think it is my computer's problem. I've looked it over a couple times and my computer definitely should run DirectX 8.0. Hardware and software both.

Try this.

1. Right click the TF2 beta option in your steam games list.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click "Set launch options"
4. Type "-dxlevel 70" into the field (without the quotation marks).

This forces the game to run in dx 7 mode. So those people with geforce4mx/radeon 7000 cards can still play. (even though they should've spent those 44 dollars on a new videocard)

I have a similiar problem to the OP's in that I can't actually play the game. It seems to freeze after the loading of the title screen finishes. Argghh

Back