Reaction score
erm i just started playing tf2
anyone have any survival tips
every server i have like 10 kills to 30deaths
usually use scout
no unlocked weapons
so again i say any tips?
thanks in advance

Dont use scout. That is a very hard class to play if you dont know the maps.

Soldier is a pretty forgiving class.

However I would recommend making the demoman your primary class. The demoman is arguably the most powerful class in the game, but not as noob friendly as the soldier or the camping engineer.

any scout tips?
if not then give some tips maybe about pyro
thats a pretty good class
in 2fort my strategy when heavies go on the bridge shooting,i usually go to the roof of the bridge and bonk them from behind not that i have the sandman or anything but just hit them with my baseball bat

I would say the best way to learn how to play TF2 is just to play all the classes and get a feel for what you're good at - improve on that then start switching across to other classes when you feel like it.

If you're bent on starting as the scout, master the dodge or the 'get out of' dodge. You figured out how to double jump I take it? Double jump as in fully change direction in mid air with the second jump? If not, when you're in the air look in a different direction and press jump again and you'll just turn mid-air. Get that down pat, and you should be able to get around soldiers, snipers and demomen, and at least get away from pyros if they don't catch you off guard. Without a lot of practice (and arguably some of the alternate weapons), the Scout isn't a killing machine so focus on how to stay alive (and capture flags/points, which is the Scout's intended function).

Seriously though, playing every class to see what their weaknesses and strengths are is probably the most valueable advice a TF2 player will get, even if they're focusing on how to play a single class.

Back when my computer still worked, scout was my main class.

Staying alive:
Don't get hit. The scout doesn't have health to spare so dodge, run away, whatever it takes.

Don't take enemies head-on if you can avoid it. Flank and use your mobility advantage to get to places fast.

The map is you're best friend. There's usually cover and things to jump on all the time.

If you do get hit, you're fast so you can get to healthpacks quick. Know where they're located on each map.

Again with dodging, just think fast and be clever. Jump one way and quickly double-jump to switch direction. Do NOT stop moving. Ever.

Getting Kills:
Getting kills involves similar skills to surviving.

Flank. Like a said before, there are altenate routes on every (good) map, You'll almost always be able to find a way to get behind or above the enemy.

After you flank them, a good strategy is usually to close in a bit while dodging. Your weapon does it's best in close range. Also, you should be moving so fast they won't be able to shoot back. Get in. Jump around while shooting. Kill 'em quick and get out.

Working fast is critical. Don't give your target's buddies time to help him out. Get your one or two kills and run away to reload.

Your pistol isn't useless. Sometimes you need a bigger gap between you and your target (esp. with soldiers) and you pistol makes up for the scattergun's range weakness.

The bat also has it's place. I often use it when I have an empty clip and no time to reload, or if I need a quick, unexpected finishing move in a fight.

Also, keep in mind that in some cases scout is just not a good choice. I've found that if the enemy is keeping your team from progressing with sentry guns or a strong defense that scout is all but useless (BONK! may help you with that when you get it but I haven't tried it). So if you're in this situation and want to stick to the same hit and run style, spy is a good choice.

Here's a couple videos for you if you want more tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSW0Y1SgoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j59kujK004o&feature=related

Make sure you watch those videos posted above, I was about to link to EvilDaedalus' videos too, they should help you a lot.

For me, I detest the scout since it feels like a dodge & keep your x hair on your enemy game while chipping away at their health. Never stop moving, randomise your directions and use your double jump!

now i think i like the soldier better
yesterday jus played tf2 and with soldier i got more kills than i ever gotten in cp_orange_x4
i like the scout becos of the force a nature and the bonk o drink and u get points from captures and get more points

erm i just started playing tf2
anyone have any survival tips
every server i have like 10 kills to 30deaths
usually use scout
no unlocked weapons
so again i say any tips?
thanks in advance

Go demo or soldier, and be a massive pussy. If you think your going to lose a fight then retreat, flank, basically don't run at the enemy exposing yourself to all sorts of counter-fire.

Play defensive even if your playing a ctf/defend game. avoid running right into the middle of parts of the map that are heavily contested, float around the edges, "snipe" into the main battle, or if you feel more confident in one on one fights just flat around the edge waiting for people with the same idea.

Oh and avoid the scout until you know the maps better and you know the game better.

Try all the classes, even if you prefer the scout and end up going back to him its infinitely useful to have first hand experience of how the other classes operate, for example, guessing where spies are lurking, knowing when a soldier/demo is vulnerable, how to flank a heavy, so on.

It helps put you into the mnid of your opponent and let your understanding of how they are going to play to help them defeat themselves and give you the kill.

Most of all just find what works for you and have fun. :)

Edit: Scout specific advice here but as scout you move fast enough that if you've taken time to learn the maps you can basically get round behind the enemy who will (for some reason) take your running away as exactly that. Use that to your advantage, always try and get behind or to the side of an enemy, preferably preoccupied with someone else, get close, blast his face off (both primary weps are good for this but FaN is probably better for it) then retreat, don't stick around, pull back, find health if you need it, repeat.

Also don't be afraid to use your pistol, just double-tap your mouse (or hold it down since they altered the firing mechanics) and rapid fire at an enemy. You'd be surpsised how often you get a kill with the pistol. Either way the enemy still takes damage and likely retreats. Basically your very soft, your advantage is speed and positioning. Your team acts as a distraction for you to get in fast and close, blow a face away, and then bail, as well as capturing and all that.

TF2 is fun and easy enough to get into though so just keep playing and observing, try and watch out for falling into routines. If you think something isn't working try something else, even switch class if your chosen class isn;t getting anywhere.

aqil02, playing scout in any case is very demanding on the players skill and knowledge of the maps, but playing it at 10fps (your still on your integrated graphics card right) would make things twice as hard!

If you want to learn to play scout, try and play on maps with many levels and lots of space. Learn them well and use the scouts agility to sneak up on your oppenents and ideally kill them with 1-2 point blank scattergun shots. Also EvilDaedalus' scout tutorial is a masterpiece so make sure you watch it a few times.

The scout takes alot of skill to play and noob scouts tend to die an awful alot but that didn't stop me from using mostly scouts when I was learning TF2. One up side is that playing as the scout allows you to find areas unreachable by other classes and so you learn the maps quicker.

As for which class you SHOULD learn with, I would recommend that instead of concentrating on one class, you choose you class depending on the particular situation that you find yourself in.

Example? Your team is getting killed by loads of snipers on 2fort - so go spy and sneak behind and backstab them all OR go solider and spam rockets at the snipers.

Another? Your team has no medic - go medic OR go engi and build a dispenser to heal people

Another? Your team can't get past a couple of well placed sentries on Goldrush - go medic, build an uber and team upi with a pyro or demo and destroy them OR go spy and sap/stab the engi's and their sentries OR go demo or soldier and find an angle to destroy them from OR go scout and use bonk to distract all the sentries while your team destroy them

Etc. Etc. you get the idea, this way you not only learn how to play each class, but more importantly you will learn how to play agianst them.

Play all the maps. Play all the classes. Just get accustomed to the game and see what feels like the right way to play.

now i think i like the soldier better
yesterday jus played tf2 and with soldier i got more kills than i ever gotten in cp_orange_x4
i like the scout becos of the force a nature and the bonk o drink and u get points from captures and get more points
Also play better maps that than.

Goldrush / Dustbowl / Gravelpit / Badwater

If you want to have a good time as scout, Gravelpit defense is the way to go.

I only play official maps, and some very few user made.

If you play Scout, your focus should be on NEVER STOPPING! As long as you keep moving and bouncing around the enemy in random directions, the only hit's you'll take will be luckshots. Of course this means you yourself will have to get a pretty good aim.

He means that he plays maps that are better than orangetowerx or whatever, such as Goldrush, dustbowl, gravelpit or badwater basin.

thx for the help guys and i think ive improved!
yesterday i got 50kills to 49 deaths with a few dominations and revenges
and those were my first dominations i ever got!
that video reali helped now i have 1 more problem
some stupid sniper keeps attacking with with arrows
everytime i zig zag him he gets me!!!
any help with the huntsman?
and btw is the FAN good?

Well what level are you on? Hunstman snipers can be tough, but I usually find a quick attack followed by fire punch to be pretty effective on them.

Um. Don't play scout on non-arena pubs. Just don't.

If you insist though, make sure you use the broken Fan.

Um. Don't play scout on non-arena pubs. Just don't.

If you insist though, make sure you use the broken Fan.

Are you some kinda stupid? Why wouldn't you play on non-arena pubs? I've been doing fine since the game came out.

Are you some kinda stupid? Why wouldn't you play on non-arena pubs? I've been doing fine since the game came out.
Because most pubs are 24+ players? Because Scout is not effective after more than 8 to a side? Because competent heavies, soldiers and pyros decimate scouts? Because engineer farming on CTF and most of the popular CP maps makes Scout useless?

News to me.
Valve admitted it. There's two bugs I know of:

a) It does more overall damage if you click, pause, click, instead of letting it shoot twice quickly by itself.

b) (the worst) When hit by it, it will consistently knock you down, into the ground, even if the Scout shooting you isn't physically above you. And when it does that, it freezes you in place for a second, thus making you an easy target for the second, killing, hit. I think the reason it does this is because a lot of the time Scouts are, even if just a little, in the air. So the server calculates most hits as 'above targeted player'--even if the Scout firing is only a foot off the ground. So the hit presses the targeted player at a downward angle, which, if it's a flat surface he's standing on, ends up being straight down.

a) Well I always shoot one right after the other. I can't really imagine doing it another way, because usually they kind of fly off making it hard to hit them again.

b) I've actually heard others complaining about that sort of sensation, but never really felt it myself. That's pretty damn bad though.

Oh, and BONK > Sentry farm

If you want to have a good time as scout, Gravelpit defense is the way to go.

Agreed. I got my record of 36 consecutive kills on a gravelpit defense as a scout. Yes I was playing a team of noobs but hey 34 kills XD

EDIT: Oh and when dealing with huntsmen snipers don't both zig-zaging as much as you do with conventional snipers, instead focus on dealing damage while ciicle-strafing/jumping over there head - as you would when dealing with a heavy. Try and be as direct as you can and not allow them to reload after there first shot... of course sometimes they still just get lucky and fluke hit you with there first shot. That's why I don't really like the huntsman, it too easy to fluke headshot people.

As for the choice between the FAN and the scattergun.... I prefer the scattergun for its much greater damag dealing capacity, also I find the FAN knockback interferes with my dodging. That said, if you're having alot of trouble with accuracy and getting quich kills, the FAN might be a better choice since the reload is much faster and so you're not left so vunerable once you've fired your first "clip". All in all though I would recommend the old school scattergun and thats coming from a player with 150+ hours clocked as a scout and a high score of 36.

hmm new problem demomans keep killing me
dun know how the heck they do it
hmm and also i HATE the force-a-nature now
dam it suks
but the sandman is a definite must with its stun
bonk-o-drink well reali useless too

I still don't get why the FAN has damage reduction...makes no sense considering the description on release...or even combined with the other drawbacks of the gun...it's a really odd design choice.

Back