TF2 "Tomb Contest 2014" Competition Announced

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
In their seemingly never ending efforts to experiment with Team Fortress 2, Valve have today revealed a collaboration with publisher Square Enix for the "Tomb Contest 2014", a new competition allowing the community to create and submit promotional cosmetic items for the upcoming Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris Tomb Raider title.

tf_tomb_web.jpg

This will mark the first time Valve have challenged the community for ideas regarding promotional items for third party games, something they usually deal with themselves. By creating and submitting Tomb Raider inspired items to the Team Fortress 2 Steam Workshop using the soon to be introduced "Tomb Raider" tag, contributors can be in with a chance of winning a huge number of prizes. These include almost the entire back catalog of Tomb Raider games, a free copy of the upcoming Temple of Osiris game, and the majority of Square Enix's game library, such as a number of titles from the Final Fantasy, Deus Ex, Hitman, Legacy of Kain, Just Cause, and Thief franchises.

Once the competition deadline is reached on November 20th, Valve will select "up to three winning entries" to add to the game as rewards for pre-purchasing Temple of Osiris on Steam, or for simply purchasing from the Mann Co. Store. It's an unexpected collaboration that we're sure nobody saw coming, but it's definitely a good chance for budding community artists to try and get their creations added into the game while also receiving a load of different games. More details regarding how to take part in the competition can be found in a dedicated page over on the Team Fortress 2 blog. Good luck to anyone who plans on entering!

really interesting! Im also really excited for temple of osiris! Guardian of Light was great!

edit: wait. Couldnt this mean something? This years Halloween event for team fortress 2 wasnt THAT big as previous years, and now Valve also doesnt make the items themselves for pre orders. TF2 is really old, maybe now they slowly start to give the game completely to the community because they want to focus on other projects or so.

Last edited:
I'm interested in ToO, its a nice little homage to classic Lara Croft than that Uncharted Creed with boobs 2: Electric Boogaloo . I liked Kelley Hawes voice so that's a plus.

Not gonna make up for you making Rise of the TR Xbox One exclusive. Go away Squenix.

...alright it's kinda neat I guess. Should be a decent game, I'm just bitter :\

Not gonna make up for you making Rise of the TR Xbox One exclusive. Go away Squenix.

...alright it's kinda neat I guess. Should be a decent game, I'm just bitter :\

its only timed exclusive, you didnt knew? The way they said it sounded like its forever exclusive, and Square Enix themselves did that, but Phil Spencer later corrected himself that its only timed exclusive.

Thats what Microsoft did for every game. They make their announcement in a way to trick everyone, they also did that with Titanfall. And even if, Dead Rising 3, Ryse and probably even Sunset Overdrive are or will be on PC later.

Desperate Microsoft...

its only timed exclusive, you didnt knew? The way they said it sounded like its forever exclusive, and Square Enix themselves did that, but Phil Spencer later corrected himself that its only timed exclusive.

Thats what Microsoft did for every game. They make their announcement in a way to trick everyone, they also did that with Titanfall. And even if, Dead Rising 3, Ryse and probably even Sunset Overdrive are or will be on PC later.

Desperate Microsoft...

The game will come to Steam, there is no doubt about it considering Crystal Dynamics are business partners with AMD. Just more time to polish the game.

The reboot was enjoyable, but it had its share of flaws. With so many great games coming out next year I'm not going to lose sleep over ROTR not being on PC on release.

Back