That ****** Gonarch

IronicBob

Reaction score
I'm coming up to Xen on Half-Life, and am remembering how hard it was facing the Gonarch, probably because I needed to waste my good ammo on those loads of Alien Controllers that come out of the portal at the end of Lambda Core.

Does anybody have any good strategies for Alien Controllers/Gonarchs/Both?

I haven't exactly played that sequence of events in a while, but first off, you need to load up on explosives before you encounter the Gonarch. Find some rockets, grenades, anything that will explode on impact. You should be able to easily take down the Gonarch without too much difficulty, but those annoying baby Headcrabs it sends can distract you, so be careful.

Now, the Alien Controllers aren't much of a problem either. Usually about two or three hits with the shotgun should take them down. Now, if they're too far away, you might want to take out your crossbow or another long-range weapon and try to shoot them from a distance, if you need to.

The bees from the hive hand will dispatch the Gonarch seeds probably the best (one hit kill, and they home in). The valuable ammunition that you've been saving is for the controllers - don't be shy with the Tau cannon or anything that can kill them quickly while you're safely under cover. The gonarch? Target practice - like Shem said, your slow, otherwise clunky explosive ammo is good to use on it.

Now, the Alien Controllers aren't much of a problem either. Usually about two or three hits with the shotgun should take them down. Now, if they're too far away, you might want to take out your crossbow or another long-range weapon and try to shoot them from a distance, if you need to.

Hivehand will solve all of your problems.

Revolver on controllers, gluon gun, rocket launcher and hivehand on gonarch

The biggest problem with the Gonarch is how heavily scripted the encounter is. I'm pretty sure there are certain parts of the sequence where damage dealt simply isn't registered, so you can end up pissing away ammunition for the big guns for nothing. To be on the safe-side, don't shoot it when it's running between the arena-like areas it stops in.

I managed to blow a hole through to the teleporter, but the Gonarch fell through with it. I managed to make a run for the teleporter, but the Gonarch came through with it and gave me a sound kicking to death at the start of Interloper - at least I know I can do it now, but has this happened to anybody else?

P.S Crossbow - would that work?

Back