• Haven't had any :D

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Just the one or two.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Every now and then.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Very frequently.

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • It's so bad I can't really play at all.

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Operational

Reaction score
I didn't have any problems for the first couple of days but now I'm getting the classic Source looping sounds crash all the time. While it is annoying I can't really complain because it is a Beta so you expect these sorts of things to happen - I just hope it's fixed by the real release date.

Hm I always end game by crash. Most frequently near turret...

I get'em whenever I set the DX level over 8.1, or play at Textures or Models above Medium.

Don't count on Valve fixing it...Ep. 1 has had this problem for over a year and they've done nothing about it.

I get'em whenever I set the DX level over 8.1.
Same here.

I have a DirectX 9.0c card (SM3) but I get the looping sound crash within a few minutes, if I try to play above 8.1 in either TF2 or Ep1. :angry:

I get'em whenever I set the DX level over 8.1, or play at Textures or Models above Medium.

Don't count on Valve fixing it...Ep. 1 has had this problem for over a year and they've done nothing about it.

Ever wonder if maybe it's your system?

I've had two crashes, both when changing video modes. The latest patch might have fixed it. No issues in game yet. Running dxlevel 95 (I think, it says 9.0+) on an 8800GTX w/ quad core.

Ever wonder if maybe it's your system?

Naturally. However, since I've got all the latest XP/DirectX/driver updates and it is such a well-known problem, it's far more likely to be a problem with their software.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500297

Note: It never crashes on HL2, CS:S. It always crashes on EP1 or TF2 (although it didn't crash in EP1 for the first few months - just the same as every other person with this bug.) :(

Forgot to try lowering the DirectX level - I'll give it a try.

I've never had it in HL2 or Ep1 although I did have it in CSS for a while.

I just had the crash at the main loading screen before the game start. Since they've disabled that, no crashes so far w00t! *knocks on wood*

I am getting the looping sound crash and also a crash when the game is changing maps between levels...It seems completely random, but does seem to happen (or threaten to happen with the dreaded stuttering) when entering a level for the fist time and in more outdoor areas especially when there is a lot of firing going on around me.

I had to run in windowed mode before the update of yesterday.

I had one crash. It was when I first opened the game, and was first joining a map. None afterwards.

I usually crash ingame for no reason.

I really dont mind these at all.

But losing my stats = OH MY ****ING GOD ARHHHHH

Yeah, losing your stats after an hour or so of gaming is kind of annoying...They should definately save the stats each time you die or something, rather than each time a map is loaded or new game starts...

Haven't had any

Not one crash so far!!!

Wow, I didn't know it's such a common bug!

I was sure i'm the only one :eek:

I had the stutter bug/looping sound crash when hovering my mouse over "Find Servers" - its that bad!

I guess I'm gonna do the directx 8.1 trick, see if it makes a difference.

It won't even start for me; I always get a "steam servers busy" error. :(

The 8.1 trick worked for me. Any word on Valve fixing the DX9 issue?

I haven't had a single crash or any lag yet *knocks on wood*

I am getting the looping sound crash and also a crash when the game is changing maps between levels...It seems completely random, but does seem to happen (or threaten to happen with the dreaded stuttering) when entering a level for the fist time and in more outdoor areas especially when there is a lot of firing going on around me.
Exactly the same problem. I crash 50% of the time when switching maps and I get random crashes about 10% of the time. I also can't even boot up TF2 with a Steam chatroom open without a crash to windows D3D error.

I had them.

Go to Dxdiag and turn Hardware Accelleration for DirectSound off.

That fixed it for me.

I've only been playing for 1 day... Played on my 2 different systems and probably have experienced 5 crashes total. Not sure what is causing them as there is no regular pattern.

first two days were perfect, then i started crashing when i would load the game, after a few tries, my whole computer crashed while loading. havent been able to load my OS since, no computer for me, god i hate typing on a psp...

It seems to be a trend that administrative staff and high post #'s seem to avoid the bugs... not that I suspect you guys at all...

I managed to get the looping sound crash in HL2, Ep1, and TF2 so far. In addition, there also seems to be a problem with the games refusing to load the maps past a certain point a lot (still).

The most annoying thing that happens to me is random frame loss. I blame my PC though, since it likes to randomly beep at me saying, "I'M OVERHEATING...FOR NO REASON!"

The most annoying thing that happens to me is random frame loss.
Yea same, it will go from ~50fps to 10 for no apparent reason stay there for a few minutes and then go back to normal. I've been assuming that it has something to do with being on a laptop.

if this is any help, i managed to find out that all of my hangs come from steam.exe, not hl2.exe.

game freezes on map load, or in game, and steam.exe is celebrating with 99% cpu usage.

I set the priority on both processes to low so i can alt tab out when it happens.

Worked fine first few days but got problems last night, sound looping and everything frozen =/

Yea same, it will go from ~50fps to 10 for no apparent reason stay there for a few minutes and then go back to normal. I've been assuming that it has something to do with being on a laptop.

I'm actually sure it's the overheating, since it's fine until it beeps.

Damn, seems I am in the minority of people who gets a system lock-up without fail every time I play the game... It is usually when the server changes levels I get the infinite 'Retrieving server info' then my system becomes completely unresponsive...
Less frequent is the 'looping sound of doom crash', but I still do get it occasionally...
sigh

Mine crashes if I alt+tab. Just get a black screen when I try to go back in.

Damn, seems I am in the minority of people who gets a system lock-up without fail every time I play the game... It is usually when the server changes levels I get the infinite 'Retrieving server info' then my system becomes completely unresponsive...
Less frequent is the 'looping sound of doom crash', but I still do get it occasionally...
sigh

What antivirus do you have?

I had the same thing with AVG, and all problems gone when I uninstalled it - I could even bring it back to directx level 9 and see the game as it was meant to be seen!

Mine just crashes in the middle of a game, for some reason when I'm doing really good, like yesterday when I got 19points as a sniper in one life with 7headshots nd 10kills then it crashes...How annoying, anyone know why it is doing this?

Back