The Artist

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Kind of surprised there isn't a thread about this movie. Just saw it in the theater, and was impressed. It came out sometime last year, its black and white, and a silent film. Its gotten excellent reviews, and people are speculating that it might be the first silent film in about 80 years to win an Oscar, if that means anything to you.

I've heard very different things from different people who've seen it. some think it's god's gift to cinema, others that it's an overrated film industry love-in/oscar-bait.
From the trailer it looked to me more like the latter.

Its neither of the two honestly. But it is one of the better movies that came out in 2011. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm off to see this tonight. I'm quite excited about it. I don't suspect it's either of the two; I think it's probably just a ****ing good film.

I saw this on Wednesday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was entertaining, funny, didn't take itself too terribly seriously but still had an emotional edge, and I was impressed with how effectively it held my attention while being a completely silent film. It was interesting to see the reuse of such old shots and methods to really capture the 1920s film feeling, while not being hokey and obnoxious about it.

Anyone who calls it "Oscar bait" is just being a dick. Oscar bait films are emotionally-charged historical quasi-non-fiction, most likely involving the Holocaust or some goddamn ranch in the middle of nowhere, appealing to some Hollywood actor's recent comeback or some other bullshit. Not every movie that takes a unique angle of filmmaking is f*cking Oscar bait.

Anyone who calls it "Oscar bait" is just being a dick. Oscar bait films are emotionally-charged historical quasi-non-fiction, most likely involving the Holocaust or some goddamn ranch in the middle of nowhere, appealing to some Hollywood actor's recent comeback or some other bullshit.
You mean like Cart Hauling Battle Equus?

what is that Google isn't helping me

Not quite pastiche, certainly not parody, but most definitely wonderful. I loved it, and I'd happily see it again. Soon. Right now, even.

Back