The Boy Who Stole Half-Life 2

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"You are my favorite developer, and I will always buy your games", he says after leaking the source code for Valve's then unreleased Half-Life 2 onto the internet. Little consolation to Valve, I'm sure, after Axel Gembe allegedly causes damages in excess of $250 million.
[br]
This, however, is the amazing story of how one young man infiltrates the internal network of one of the world's favourite game developers which subsequently leads to Half-Life 2's source code being leaked on to the internet.
[br]
Being quite active in the community at the time this article brought back many memories. I can hardly believe it was nearly 8 years ago...
[br]
You can get the full story from Eurogamer, here.

And your point is?

This has now been posted on the front page.

Oh, didn't know this was front page news, since I never go to the front page...

Either way, it's an interesting read.

Everything in this part of the forum is front page news. This forum powers the comments system! :)

That time was quite a rollercoaster of emotions.

I always imagined the guy who did this to be a douche bag, but the way the article is written he seems like a pretty nice guy.

Holy cripples, eight years, really?
I remember when it was four, but where did the extra four come from?

I <3 Vegeta897 and Samon

:D

I was disgusted that such a brilliant old-school story hadn't been covered so I thought the most appropriate way for it to be posted was by some seriously old-school ex Lead Editor!

I will now disappear back into the shadows and <strike>perve on</strike> watch you all from afar.....

Cops pointed at him with automatic weapons? Because he leaked HL2? Lol.

This what happens when you mess with Valve.

Pay attention: they thought he was working in conjunction with the guy who wrote the Sasser worm.

Back