The CD

hakojo

Spy
Reaction score
In one of the Act 1 test chambers (I forget which number, although I'm positive it's the second chamber with Aerial Faith Plates), GLaDOS clears some garbage out of a cube vent and ends up flinging it across the room at you with said Faith Plates. One of the pieces of trash is a CD, and when you pick it up, she tells you there's no need to play with the garbage. It fizzles if you try to take it out of the test chamber with you, but I've found a video in the .bik media files that's an 'insert disk' animation showing a CD being put into a drive.

I'm assuming there's a place to use this disk somewhere...has anyone found it yet?

You have to sometimes insert CD's into drives in co-op. That animation is used during those sequences.

^ yep. I think they just put it in there as random junk and it has no significance.

You need the radio and the turret in that chamber ;)

I haven't finished co-op yet, but the two CD's I encountered...
... had launch/missile destination coordinates and schematics for some device. Also, there was a whiteboard in one of the rooms clearly stating to not insert the CDs. It should also be mentioned that there is probably a reason that GlaDOS destroys you almost instantly after inserting them into the drives (probably so you couldn't stick around and investigate).

There's a rat man den in that same room too and if you take the radio up (which is part of the junk) you get an achievement for it :)

Once you get further into the co-op, it's obvious what the data discs are for.

Back