the combine logo...

Basically vik you need to check everything you think about the HL series because from what we can tell most of your beliefs are wrong.

No no no, i meant why did he try to colonise Earth after the cascade (by sending his troops), not himself, sorry for the misunderstanding guys :) Because my guess was that the cascade in Black Mesa reveals Earth's location to the Combine. But that was a bad guess, as i can tell from the post you just hit me with :D
Whatever, i am retiring from HL knowledge... i'm just a regular player now ^^
TOOO MUCH INFO MAAAN LOLZ

The Combine have never been to Xen.

Nihilanth hasn't never been to earth.

How do you know that?

Nihilanth was running from the Combine, in Laidlaw's own words they had thier "back to the wall" so it's all but certain that the Combine have access to Xen (a place of "continual contention"). From there it isn't a big leap to suppose that they could have been there in the past even if they aren't there now (and it's possible that they are).

The Roman Empire was an international empire. It had peoples speaking a mix of different languages. Yet they had a common language and alphabet.
That's the thing though - the Human population aren't part of the Combine, just under thier control analogous to how Humans control Sheep or Cattle.
Even the Metrocops, I'd argue, aren't really part of the Combine but of the local Earth Breen-administrated government.
The larger Combine force doesn't really care about either until they become Combine Soldiers that have had Combine biological and technological modifications (that include loyalty programming IIRC), who spend a lot of time in the Citadel and are threatened with being transferred to an offworld assignments.
The full poster has the Combine logo paired with a Dove, an Earth symbol for peace - propaganda designed for subduing the Human population and encourage recruitment into Civil Protection and from there the real goal of Transhuman Combine Soldiers.

Combine's portal technology doesn't allow them to go on borderworlds.

The full poster has the Combine logo paired with a Dove, an Earth symbol for peace - propaganda designed for subduing the Human population and encourage recruitment into Civil Protection and from there the real goal of Transhuman Combine Soldiers.
So you think the Combine did carry out that evil 1960's Batman villain plot and decided to make posters in English but in a new, completely intelligible font of their own design.
Subduing the population by distracting them with posters in their own language that humans have trouble trying to understand?

Using a symbol of the defeated human race doesn't mean they'll use the written language too - besides, are they going to have different posters in Cities which may have inhabitants of other nationalities?

Combine's portal technology doesn't allow them to go on borderworlds.
Source please. It's been a while since I've read the "info from Valve"/Laidlaw vault threads but I don't recall this particular piece of info and it doesn't make much sense to me. It's confirmed that Nihilanth was running from the Combine, if Xen was safe from the Combine why would he try to escape to Earth? And how could the Combine use the Xen->Earth portal storms as an "opening which they were able to force ever wider" if they can't even get to Xen?

that humans have trouble trying to understand?
Speak for yourself.

Using a symbol of the defeated human race doesn't mean they'll use the written language too
Doesn't mean that they won't either, what use is an alien language on a poster when the intended audiance can't understand it.

besides, are they going to have different posters in Cities which may have inhabitants of other nationalities?
I don't see why an advanced inter-dimentional empire can't print several versions of the same poster.

Speak for yourself.

If you had paid attention you would realise that this whole thread is about different interpretations of what latin letters that represents. Just because you think you know what it is doesn't make you right.

Doesn't mean that they won't either, what use is an alien language on a poster when the intended audiance can't understand it.

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean the people living for 10 years under Combine rule don't.

I don't see why an advanced inter-dimentional empire can't print several versions of the same poster.

Because they have no respect for the languages and cultures of their member races? They're an all-conquering expansionist inter-dimensional empire...

If you had paid attention you would realise that this whole thread is about different interpretations of what latin letters that represents. Just because you think you know what it is doesn't make you right.
By my count your the only one that thinks the characters are a Combine Alphabet, a large chunk of this thread is about Nihilanth and the OP was only after a hi-res Combine logo.

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean the people living for 10 years under Combine rule don't.
I don't know of any other times this Combine Language is seen and you would think people like the Combine Announcer would be speaking it rather than English.

Because they have no respect for the languages and cultures of their member races? They're an all-conquering expansionist inter-dimensional empire...
They have no respect for all of Humanity. They don't care if we learn their language or not (if they even have a language). The only reason there are any humans left alive at all is the hope that we can be useful in the Combine Overwatch.

By my count your the only one that thinks the characters are a Combine Alphabet, a large chunk of this thread is about Nihilanth and the OP was only after a hi-res Combine logo.

And Mech Man. Anyway I was more referring to the fact that people were arguing about which latin characters they were.

I don't know of any other times this Combine Language is seen and you would think people like the Combine Announcer would be speaking it rather than English.
How about computer terminals in the Citadel?

They have no respect for all of Humanity. They don't care if we learn their language or not (if they even have a language). The only reason there are any humans left alive at all is the hope that we can be useful in the Combine Overwatch.
Same with the rest of the Combine enslaved species...

How about computer terminals in the Citadel?

Actually im going to have to dis-agree there , if I remember right it was too low res to make out. I seem to remember it as random squiggles that resembled neither languages/font. I might load it up later to check it out.

They had mirror images of european numerals, and some other writing where some characters resembled latin characters and others didn't.

ep1_citadel_030001.jpg

ep1_citadel_030000.jpg

You can see the Combine logo in Half Life Episode 1 in the chapter Exit 17.

Back