The "F.E.A.R. Rocks!" Thread

f|uke

Reaction score
Another FEAR thread? f--- yah!

This has been a slow year for gaming so far.. and the past three to four months especially so. So when something this good comes along,. well, its worth taking about, thats for sure.

I just played the demo, and this game is the best thing to hit since HL2, hands down!

The special effects during slo-mo rock my nads. The AI behavior (jumping through windows, acting so agressive) rocks my nads. The gfx, the lighting, the volumetic fog... Christ. On top of that, they have good voice acting and a truely intense and compelling storyline.

I cant wait 'till this hits the shelves! Finally some proper competition for Valve. And who would have thought it would come from the once utterly crappy lithtech engine?

There are bugs, yes. Primarily, the pausing/stuttering bug during gameplay. As most here should remember, HL2 was plauged with the exact same problem when it first hit market. I have confidence that it will be fixed, just as Valve fixed HL2.

Does anyone know of any quality FEAR fansite, similar to our beloved hl2.net?

God you're sooo right. It HAS been a slow year for gaming.

Beyond World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Resident Evil 4.....well I liked those but not much else.

Don't know any good FEAR sites though sorry.

well from the videos and screens i got the feeling like it was a doom3 clone ...what distinguishes it from such titles ? ...like resident evil and doom3 ?

DarkStar said:

Beyond World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Resident Evil 4.....
I'm not sure if youre being sarcastic or not. o_O
mindless_moder said:
well from the videos and screens i got the feeling like it was a doom3 clone ...what distinguishes it from such titles ? ...like resident evil and doom3 ?
I suppose some may see it as a Doom3 clone. But D3 was so.. cliche. Fear feels fresh and sophisticated compared to D3, and the effects and ai really seem to set it apart.

DarkStar said:

Beyond World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Resident Evil 4.....well I liked those but not much else.

Don't know any good FEAR sites though sorry.

Let's see.. World of Warcraft, released mid-november of 2004. Splinter Cell and Resident Evil aren't heavy hitters anymore. The only big game for 2005 on that list is BF2. Yes, it has been a ridiculously slow year.

I'd say RE4 is the only big game of the year. BF2 and SC3 were good but not as good as RE 4.

Sparta said:
I'd say RE4 is the only big game of the year. BF2 and SC3 were good but not as good as RE 4.

Good != Big

World of Warcraft is a disgrace to MMORPG's and any real MMO'er knows it. But all the hype around it makes it a huge title.

Delta Force Black Hawk Down was an awesome FPS, but didn't have the starting fan base or advertising, and thus was not big.

Ah, so thats what you mean.

Psychonauts was a fantastic game, better then both BF2 and SC3 combined, but that wasn't big. Shame how that is

I think HL2 is a much better game than FEAR. Hell, I fail to see how you see FEAR as an oasis in the drought for PC gaming. There are a ton of other great games on the way, and you seem to have forgotten that FEAR isn't out just yet.

And BTW, HL2 has much better graphics than FEAR.

sinkoman said:
I think HL2 is a much better game than FEAR. Hell, I fail to see how you see FEAR as an oasis in the drought for PC gaming. There are a ton of other great games on the way, and you seem to have forgotten that FEAR isn't out just yet.

And BTW, HL2 has much better graphics than FEAR.

Just from the demo I feel that FEAR has better combat than HL2, a more intriguing storyline (it won't take much to beat HL2 in story department if you ask me), and so far it's harder.

As for graphics...I don't care. Graphics are the last thing I judge in a game. Sure they draw you to a game but they have almost no effect on the game itself in my eyes (as long as it's not horrible or buggy). Sure they can make characters feel very real but that means next to nothing if you don't get in-depth with the characters.

Sure not EVERY object is affected by physics or isn't as breakable as most objects in HL2...but physics isn't a main aspect of a game. It's more of a plus in my eyes and most of the physics "puzzles" (more like physics work) in HL2 were tedious or boring.

I'll reserve final judgement until I complete the full version of FEAR of course, but I think FEAR has the elements of an awesome shooter so far.

In terms of not being repetitive, I guarantee HL2 will win. Each level played like a different game.

Yes..FEAR was an awesome demo. And I definately can't wait for the real game!

I love HL2 more than alot of people can ever guess. But I'm not going to let that triffle with my feelings for FEAR :)

Can't wait to buy it.

CyberPitz said:
Yes..FEAR was an awesome demo. And I definately can't wait for the real game!

I love HL2 more than alot of people can ever guess. But I'm not going to let that triffle with my feelings for FEAR :)

Can't wait to buy it.
I'd never thought i'd agree with a necropedabeastialitist but, I Agree!

AmishSlayer said:
Just from the demo I feel that FEAR has better combat than HL2, a more intriguing storyline (it won't take much to beat HL2 in story department if you ask me), and so far it's harder.

As for graphics...I don't care. Graphics are the last thing I judge in a game. Sure they draw you to a game but they have almost no effect on the game itself in my eyes (as long as it's not horrible or buggy). Sure they can make characters feel very real but that means next to nothing if you don't get in-depth with the characters.

Sure not EVERY object is affected by physics or isn't as breakable as most objects in HL2...but physics isn't a main aspect of a game. It's more of a plus in my eyes and most of the physics "puzzles" (more like physics work) in HL2 were tedious or boring.

I'll reserve final judgement until I complete the full version of FEAR of course, but I think FEAR has the elements of an awesome shooter so far.

Don't get me wrong, from what I/We have played of it, FEAR is a kickass game. It's got some insanely fun combat, with some of the best WORKING ai (not best, I think that the AI in every game has to be tailored to the experience, and they did it well in FEAR. HL2 has good open all out war AI, but you play more constrained than trench) and overall, the combat is insanely fun. You can't believe how entertaining it is to pelt a room full of lead and watch the smoke settle.

Just IMHO, HL2 is a better overall game than FEAR. We haven't even played all of FEAR yet, so there isn't much judging we can do between the two, but from what I/We have played of the game, I think HL2 is much better.

And yes, GFX have little to do with the experience, but I think that the GFX can make or break a game. A game that pulls the graphics off well, not a game that has uber boto realistic graphics, but pulls them off well, is a good game. The graphics don't have to be boto realistic to immerse you, but it sure does help.

Dunno. Guess till the game is out, not much can be made comparison wise.

sinkoman said:
Don't get me wrong, from what I/We have played of it, FEAR is a kickass game. It's got some insanely fun combat, with some of the best WORKING ai (not best, I think that the AI in every game has to be tailored to the experience, and they did it well in FEAR. HL2 has good open all out war AI, but you play more constrained than trench) and overall, the combat is insanely fun. You can't believe how entertaining it is to pelt a room full of lead and watch the smoke settle.

Just IMHO, HL2 is a better overall game than FEAR. We haven't even played all of FEAR yet, so there isn't much judging we can do between the two, but from what I/We have played of the game, I think HL2 is much better.

And yes, GFX have little to do with the experience, but I think that the GFX can make or break a game. A game that pulls the graphics off well, not a game that has uber boto realistic graphics, but pulls them off well, is a good game. The graphics don't have to be boto realistic to immerse you, but it sure does help.

Dunno. Guess till the game is out, not much can be made comparison wise.

Agreed...

ps get on xfire/aim or something.

CyberPitz said:
Agreed...

ps get on xfire/aim or something.

My secondary HDD is going dead, and it decided to delete my music and my xfire/trillian .exe's :(

hopefully i'll have a new one by the end of the week.

*sinkoman feels amishslayers pain*

I really enjoyed the demo, once i got the graphics settings just right for my system, it played really smooth and didn't look terrible. The gameplay is excellent, once you get used to the style of the game (which reminded me alot of far cry) then its great. Some of the bits creeped me out alittle, first time a game has done that to me. Definetly going to buy this when it comes out, might need a new gfx card though.

FEAR looks nice but I want a fscking modern-day open-ended "RPG" ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R :hmph:

I finally tested the demo today ... I've never seen such a kick ass game before, and those graphics ... HOLY SH IT!!!

sinkoman said:
My secondary HDD is going dead, and it decided to delete my music and my xfire/trillian .exe's :(

hopefully i'll have a new one by the end of the week.

*sinkoman feels amishslayers pain*

That sucks that you have to wait like I did for new parts.

I apologize in advance for this

ph33rt3hrox.jpg

Saw the thread title and couldn't resist.

I think the game looks awesome, though. And it looks like it has prettier graphics than hl2. I might actually buy it.

I liked the combat and slow motion effects in FEAR, but don't think it looks or runs that well.

It screams an Edge 7/10 - game of the month, maybe.

DreadLord1337 said:
World of Warcraft is a disgrace to MMORPG's and any real MMO'er knows it. But all the hype around it makes it a huge title.

God forbid they made an MMO that was actually fun to play ( :O ) and appealed to more than just the power gamer. :p

KagePrototype said:
God forbid they made an MMO that was actually fun to play ( :O ) and appealed to more than just the power gamer. :p

It isn't fun at all. There is nothing left to do after about a month of playing. Haven't you ever wondered why there are less than a fourth of the WoW there were 6 months ago? The games going down the hole, it just took people forever to realize hype and advertisements don't make a game good.

I disagree. WoW gets better the longer you play it.

At level 60, in the challenging instances, it's far more enjoyable than at the lower levels. Great game :)

EverQuest and WoW are so far the only MMO games I've been able to stand for more than a week.

I wish I had the resources to create a massively multiplayer online game. It would kick serious ass.

DreadLord1337 said:
It isn't fun at all. There is nothing left to do after about a month of playing. Haven't you ever wondered why there are less than a fourth of the WoW there were 6 months ago? The games going down the hole, it just took people forever to realize hype and advertisements don't make a game good.

Like I said, it appeals to more than power gamers (who are the ones who are going to storm through the game in a few weeks). As for having a waning userbase...it's the single most populous MMO in the world as of July. ;) The only people who are leaving en mass are the ones who complain on the officual forums that Blizzard doesn't release their content quickly enough (and when they do, they complain that it's too buggy...), because new dungeons and battlegrounds every month or two just plain isn't good enough for them. This is a very small percentage of WoW's userbase.

*sigh* /rant

Anyway, FEAR...yeah, I'm a total fanboy. :D

DreadLord1337 said:

Another one who thinks his opinion rules supreme over the entire gaming world's :rolleyes: .

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/534914.asp?q=world of warcraft

You don't get a new 92% average score from a total of 52 media outlets through advertising.

WoW just misses a lot.
I had a mage, and left because all I got was another fireball (level 10). Oh, and I was so exicted to get Teleport, when I figured out they added components when I got it.
It just feels like another Everquest to me. Well... Everquest with quests.
IMO, if you took SWG and gave it to Monolith, and had their event team on it, it would be awesome.
SWG is the only MMORPG for me... but, disapointingly, I am subscribed to Xbox Live, with no way to switch, which, is within other issuses and stories.
Though, I have stopped watching SWG a few month after it came out, and it seem a lot changed in it. Disappointing. Oh, that and people are becoming force sensitive in 4 hours.

lol. I like how this thread has completely turned to WoW...

I like having games that I can pick up and play for like an hour and actually get something accomplished. If I had 1 hour between some classes this fall I wouldn't get much done in WoW but I could squeeze in rounds of BF2 or some FEAR or some Burnout: Revenge (when it comes out...I'm getting it assuming reviews are good).

I just don't have the time for the long haul of WoW or any other MMORPG.

AmishSlayer said:
lol. I like how this thread has completely turned to WoW...

I like having games that I can pick up and play for like an hour and actually get something accomplished. If I had 1 hour between some classes this fall I wouldn't get much done in WoW but I could squeeze in rounds of BF2 or some FEAR or some Burnout: Revenge (when it comes out...I'm getting it assuming reviews are good).

I just don't have the time for the long haul of WoW or any other MMORPG.

Signed !

Ya..just finished the demo myself. Very good. Although it looks like the same graphics engine as doom 3..just improved upon...It's like a ride almost...great feel to the game..great atmosphere...good sound, great slow-mo and very impressive effects in slow motion. But, I will have to read the review first, to see if it's a long game. The longer the better. Hopefully a good story to.

Back