The Fallout 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Didn't Get Temp-Banned
Reaction score
I'd just like to share something I found while wandering in the Capitol Wastelands.

ScreenShot3.jpg

Gasp! A door! What could possibly lie behind this door in a random rock wall in the wasteland? Yet another dungeon full of easily killable mutants, or raiders, or freakshows?

ScreenShot5.jpg

Alas, no.

As much as Fallout 3 has its faults, I can't deny that finding something simple like this brings a smile to my face.

What the hell is that for real?

Man.. Fallout 3 really is THE best RPG out there, and surelly is a true sequel to the previous fallout games

/waits for Mikael

what the hell is that for real?

Man.. Fallout 3 really is the best rpg out there, and surelly is a true sequel to the previous fallout games

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mikael's bant for a week.

What's that written with? Radiated mutant feces?

Haha, how frustrating for him.

For some reason, his Fallout 3 hate reminded me of this comic strip:

rock_band.png

Mikael got bannned?!

HAHAHAHA! HOHOHOHOHO! HEHEHEHE.
Ooohhh... Mercy.

Anyway, anyone can recommend any good side quests, ones that aren't fetch missions (bloody nuka cola woman!!!)

I've already done the return to the vault sidequest and still currently on the android but lost track of that.

Anyway, anyone can recommend any good side quests, ones that aren't fetch missions (bloody nuka cola woman!!!)

I've already done the return to the vault sidequest and still currently on the android but lost track of that.
If you haven't yet done it, head to Grayditch (or similar name) and have a go at the quest Those!.

I managed it last night at level 6, but it was pretty tough.

Yeah Those!! is a good quest, though ensure you have some distance firearms like an assault rifle or a hunting rifle.

Mikael got banned for trolling anyone and everyone who disagreed with his opinions about Fallout 3 Vs the other fallout games repeatedly (U R all Morons!!!). Given his uncompromising opinions on this topic, and his inability to recognise and acknowledge other peoples opinions in a fair and balanced manner I fully suspect that he'll do the long walk permanently not long after this temp ban ends.

either that or hold the rage of every good comment about fallout 3 and then go an quest to hack the forum to purge every last one of fallout 3 threads

Aha! I've only just recently started playing Fallout3...I love it so far :)

I'd buy it, if I didn't have so many things I needed to buy right now. It's pretty damned good.

I heard Vault 112 had some spoilers for the main quest. I came across the Vault yesterday but did'nt enter just in case. Would it be better for me to leave it alone for now?

If i remember correct it's part of the main quest. If you enter you skip the quests that lead up to it.

If i remember correct it's part of the main quest. If you enter you skip the quests that lead up to it.

Thanks for the infos. I'll leave it then.

I'll just finish cleaning up Dunwich house then i'm heading up towards the GNR building. No doubt i'll be tempted into every building on the way though. I just can't help investigating every location I stumble upon.
I just met and killed my first Deathclaw too.
This game is doing a good job of keeping my interest.

there is a crazy guy whit a nuclear bomb in a buidling near the reillys camp

is chanting things and detonate the nuke if anyone get close

what I have to do?

there is a crazy guy whit a nuclear bomb in a buidling near the reillys camp

is chanting things and detonate the nuke if anyone get close

what I have to do?

Snipe him from a distance, or keep a save file and throw a grenade into his minefield/convince the nearby wastelander to walk into the mines.

If you have dogmeat you can pick up the mini-nukes he's planted all around the ally.

There's no quest associated with him, which blows.

Kupo, don't be a dick. Fallout 1 and 2 were actually good games.

Haha, I stumbled into that and died, but then just navigated around and forgot about it. :D

Kupo, don't be a dick. Fallout 1 and 2 were actually good games.
Good, I have your attention, though apparently not Laivasse's good humour (Fallout is such serious business around here, isn't it? :p). First time I 'trolled' this one, I merely asked for someone to give me some vague indication of what I was missing by getting frustrated by finger breaking mouse clicking (translation: regardless of graphics, the interface sucks) and 2 hours of nothing happening (rat, click, dead. person, click, tedious dialogue, go kill scorpians, die, reload, die etc.) with view of giving the game a second try. No one defended the game, I presume because on those counts, it's indefensible. Still interested, I asked again (with less pleading and more emphasis on how too much clicking really hurts my fingers), I was basically told 'it's not for you' down the nose and over the top of the glasses. So why isn't it for me?

There's an interesting article on the exact subject, though I'm still none the wiser. From the outside, Fallout just looks like the emperor's new clothes. Well, as new as a 10 year old game can be, but then that's my point. 10 years isn't that old for a computer game. I've tried many an older game of similar reputation and been gripped soon enough, why not Fallout?

Becouse fallout 2 might just be the best ****ing game ever.

Period.

Well it looks like some mysterious disapproving powers have vanished our two posts that you're referring to, so we'd do well not to turn this into an enormous tangent. Anyway, suffice to say if people can't answer your criticisms about Fallout, maybe it's because they genuinely can't figure out what you expect to get from it, or what you're missing that's not making it fun for you...? Not because the people who like it are masochistic mentally deficient elitists - an implication which tends to turn any game thread into srsbsns...

For a start, I don't get the clicking thing; I spend far more time 'breaking my fingers' by frequent clicking in, say, TF2, or any other game that isn't slow-paced or turn-based, than I do in FO. Then, as I said in this thread, I really don't get what's so unintuitive about the interface either; all the buttons are big and clear, you right-click to get different cursor functions and you click your weapon to go into combat mode. Without a manual, I had no trouble grasping what was going on in the interface after the first 30 minutes to an hour - maybe only slightly longer than the Sims 2 took for me, certainly quicker than I could have got to grips with eg. Civ without a manual or guide. Maybe your problem is really the difficulty curve (combat-wise)? I would say that that's a bit too steep at first, though I don't really get why that becomes a big drawback for most people when so many of today's games get criticised for being too easy. You say the dialogue is tedious, which I don't understand, since I find it to be very cleverly written and I like the fact that loads of the choices are derived from your character's attributes. 'Nothing happens' because like in most any non-linear RPG, nothing happens until you go and find something to make happen. The other mechanics you seem to be unhappy with - like extermination/fetch quest dynamics, for example - are staples of any RPG, particularly non-linear ones, and while they're not the entire point of playing, they're a modestly enjoyable way of padding out the game hours and sending combat/dialogue the player's way.

So maybe it really is just not for you...? That is, unless your negatives - some of which I really can't comprehend because my personal experience is so different - are balanced out for you by the idea of a big immersive world, great dialogue, and meaningful consequences to your choices. I know, for example, that I tend not to enjoy RTSes, but I don't ask fans to explain the good points of RA2 and then call them elitists when they suggest it might not be for me. Just generally speaking, if FO 1&2 are not great RPGs I then don't know what are.

I came into Fallout 1 and 2 as a total 'modern' gamer having grown up on a formula of FPSs and RTSs and Japanese RPGs and I understood it in one go, without a manual, without nothing. The interface is fine. I don't get why people call it awkward because I found it extremely easy to use. Really Laivasse has pretty much said what I was going to say but better, so...

It might not just be the type of game you'd enjoy. I found it incredibly fun and immersive because of the amount the world reacted to you, the feeling of making meaningful choices, and the sound effects and sheer joy as you roll a critical hit and the super mutant's head explodes in glorious 64-bit colour.

Maybe daft, but is it possibly better to start with Fallout 2 and work backwards? I am still intrigued by the games...
I know, for example, that I tend not to enjoy RTSes, but I don't ask fans to explain the good points of RA2 and then call them elitists when they suggest it might not be for me. Just generally speaking, if FO 1&2 are not great RPGs I then don't know what are.
That's the thing though. I'm no RTS fanatic either, partial as I am to Homeworld say. But when dabbling in a popular RTS, as alienated as I am by the game's difficulty and genre quirks, I can completely see why people like them. Fallout seems to be completely different beast. Before I attempted playing it, I probably would have listed the RPG as among my favourite genres (as Jintor says, on the back of FPS RPGs and JRPGs and Strategy RPGs), and jumped on Fallout 3 with very little prior interest... but the more I see Fallout 3 being discussed, the more apparent it is that for some people there's 'RPGs for us and for them' which just seems ridiculous to me.

Lincoln Repeater is the only gun you'll ever need in the game, and you can repair it with hunting rifles which you can find everywhere. Whatever you do, don't ever sell this gun to those artifact collectors, it's really the greatest weapon I've found so far.

Once you have AR-21 or 31 plasma rifle, every single enemies will die from at least 2 to 3 hits from it, excluding Death claws and Mutant master.

That's the thing though. I'm no RTS fanatic either, partial as I am to Homeworld say. But when dabbling in a popular RTS, as alienated as I am by the game's difficulty and genre quirks, I can completely see why people like them. Fallout seems to be completely different beast. Before I attempted playing it, I probably would have listed the RPG as among my favourite genres (as Jintor says, on the back of FPS RPGs and JRPGs and Strategy RPGs), and jumped on Fallout 3 with very little prior interest... but the more I see Fallout 3 being discussed, the more apparent it is that for some people there's 'RPGs for us and for them' which just seems ridiculous to me.
Truth be told I never completed FO1 because my HD crapped out and I lost the disc, then never got back around to replaying it :eek: So most of what I'm saying is based on FO2 anyway... I played that one first.

But as elitist as it may sound it kind of does seem to be the case that there's 'RPGs for us and for them.' To illustrate, those three things that I tossed off as a list of the things which are a reason to play FO - 'big immersive world, great dialogue, and meaningful consequences to your choices' - those were the first things that came to mind, but thinking about it, those things are pretty much the essence of what I look for in an RPG; believable world, believable characters, and a sense that the player's choices, or their character's attributes, can really have an impact on events. I don't think they're unrealistic criteria to look for, either. Old infinity engine stuff delivered these things beautifully. Even as recently as The Witcher we've seen an RPG which did a great job of meeting the grade - the 'big immersive world' was compromised/streamlined to a more JRPG-like map style that only gave the impression of being huge, and the dialogue was perhaps more good than great, but it did deliver on all fronts and as such I rate it as a great RPG. What disappointed me about Oblivion is that it only really delivered 1 out of 3 on that score, even if it took me quite a few hours of play to realise that what I sought was absent. Fears of the same disappointment are what dampened any interest I had in FO3.

Now I can't comment on why, for many people, just the 'big immersive world' (tm) is enough to sell them on an RPG, especially because for me the immersion doesn't work unless I get the full package including the other stuff. Nevertheless some people are happy with it, so I figure it's not worth questioning since those people must just be predisposed not to like the same type of RPGs as I do. I guess that, to some, the sandbox freedom is worth the sacrifice. Obviously even if you're someone who seeks believable character interaction then the difference is subjective, too - ie. if you think the writing falls down then the game immediately becomes deficient to you. That's something most 'old-breed' RPGers should be able to accept pretty philosophically, but they'll all respond with varying degrees of upset when a game that they might have loved turns out not to have been developed with them in mind. That's where the whole 'RPGs for us and them' thing comes in... I don't find it particularly hard to swallow. After all, despite loving HL2 and it's spawn there are lots of FPSes that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole; there are lots of FPS fans who play those same ones then come to HL2 et al and say 'the combat's not good enough!' or 'so wtf was going on with the story???' or whatever. RPG fans just have far fewer games to sink their teeth into overall, so I think personal preferances and disappointments get much more of a spotlight when it comes to discussion.

I KILLED THE ROACH KING!

BOW BEFORE ME!

Is he a random encounter or something? Found him around the minefield I think, had about 10 radroaches with him and a minigun, was a bastard to take down.

Yeah, I've never seen any of the stuff anyone is talking about on this page.

I KILLED THE ROACH KING!

BOW BEFORE ME!

Is he a random encounter or something? Found him around the minefield I think, had about 10 radroaches with him and a minigun, was a bastard to take down.

Yeah i also killed him.

I think I am to the fina quest

if I pass the final quest I cant continue whit the others quests right?

also when the enclave captured me in the refugee whit the geck,I have cross as a partner,does something happened to her?

I think I am to the fina quest

if I pass the final quest I cant continue whit the others quests right?

also when the enclave captured me in the refugee whit the geck,I have cross as a partner,does something happened to her?

Yeaeh she goes back to the Citadel. Stupid *****.
Was hoping she'd be in the rescue party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back