The First Ever G-Man Theory.

Matt

Space Core
Reaction score
The theory's that the G-Man works for an organisation that wants access to all portal technology, and is hellbent on destroying all teleportation equipment which it does not own.

In the Aperture Science Enrichment Center, portal technology is nearly perfected, meaning that it must be destroyed. First, an AI system malfunctions, going insane and killing all scientists with knowledge of portal technology.

After the AI's usefulness has expired, a test subject will destroy both it and the facility, putting both out of action for approximately 50,000 years.

The Black Mesa Incident, which, as we know from Half-Life 2: Episode Two, was orchestrated by the G-Man, not only caused the eventual destruction of the Black Mesa Research Facility (a place with lots of research into teleportation technology going on), but also allowed Gordon Freeman to enter Xen and kill the Nihilanth, the last surviving being of a species able to create portals at will. This, in turn, allowed the G-Man's employers to seize control of the Border-world, a place filled with portals.

Not only did the Black Mesa Incident do this, it also left scars in the barriers between Earth and other dimensions.

This would lead the Combine, a Universal Empire with the ability to control portals, to come to our planet, where their destruction could be brought on by one of the G-Man's clients and the client's followers.

Before this, the Combine may have been seen as a help to the G-Man's cause, enslaving races on the brink of controlling portal technology, but their usefulness has now ended, and it is time for them to be destroyed.

First, they must be cut off from the worlds they have conquered, leaving them unable to use the armies they have created on said worlds against the army of the G-Man's employers.

To cut off the Combine from the Earth, the rebellion must use teleportation technology, which is created by resistance scientists Eli Vance and Isaac Kleiner. Eventually, they must of course die, possessing portal technology, but now, they are still useful to the G-Man and his employers.

After destroying the Combine Superportal, and cutting off the Combine from Earth (for now), Eli Vance is killed, no longer useful. Isaac Kleiner can still do things to help the G-Man's cause, so he is left alive for now.

The only hope of the Combine ever regaining their control over Earth is in the Aperture Science Borealis, a ship containing technology which could potentially create a rift between to worlds. It is vital to the G-Man's cause that the resistance destroys the Borealis, to leave the Combine with no hope of returning to Earth, and to leave nobody on Earth with the power to open portals.

The job is not completed yet, and the Combine must be cut off from all of the worlds they have conquered, before eventually being destroyed on their home-world.

so yeah

Silly Matt, we all know that the G-Man is actually Gordon from the future - G(ordon Free)man.

In all seriousness though, this is a great theory! It provides G-Man with some actual motives.

Yep. Still stirs the hate, even after all these years, even knowing it's in jest.

I'd say about 70-85% here is what I wrote a long time ago in the unified theory, then renamed it to the Instance Zero, then wiped out it after all. Anyway, I came to a simple conclusion that making theories about the HL plot in order to explain it is absolutely useless, because it is not a plot in full sense of the word as you may think, it's not like any other video games. The reason for this is because the whole HL storyline and it's continuation depends on what VALVe is working on and then introducing it into the HL Universe by making it as a part of plot (I'd rather call it as the Foundations or Stepping Stones), VALVe by itself depends on what kind of new technologies the game industry has now, how and in a what way game industry is developing. For now there are 2 biggest steps made by VALVe (or foundations in terms of the plot), the third one is coming and it's gonna be about Steam Universe, steam machines and what's source engine v2.0 gonna offer the industry. Maybe I'll explain this later in a new thread.

Last edited:
I'd say about 70-85% here is what I wrote a long time ago in the unified theory, then renamed it to the Instance Zero, then wiped out it after all.

Well... oh.

Anyway, I came to a simple conclusion that making theories about the HL plot in order to explain it is absolutely useless, because it is not a plot in full sense of the word as you may think, it's not like any other video games.

I believe that the Half-Life series most certainly does have a plot, in the full sense of the word, and analyzing it, although not really useful, is fun, and get's our brain juices flowin'.

The reason for this is because the whole HL storyline and it's continuation depends on what VALVe is working on and then introducing it into the HL Universe by making it as a plot things (I'd rather call it as the Foundations or Stepping Stones), VALVe by itself depends on what kind of new technologies the game industry has now, how and in a what way game industry is developing.

Yes, games tell and continue stories with the newest technological advancements, and this is nothing new. What had to be explained by a simple text scroll in the past can now be shown with astounding visuals. How does this make the Half-Life storyline not, in the full sense of the word, a plot?

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Yes, games tell and continue stories with the newest technological advancements, and this is nothing new. What had to be explained by a simple text scroll in the past can now be shown with astounding visuals. How does this make the Half-Life storyline not, in the full sense of the word, a plot?

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Yes you're right, but what I meant is, for example, on the one side the World Opponent Network (WON online gaming environment) and on the other side the Border World in Half-Life (XEN, a dimensional transit, a bottleneck where all other universes are interconnected for teleportation). Every video game has a plot set in a fictional universe, back in the day while there was WON some games were working through that environment gaming service, so VALVe began to develop the Half-Life universe where Gordon Freeman (the character who expresses the players will and choice in the game, so the character's name has a very specific point for that matter) helps G-Man employers (VALVe by itself) to get the border world XEN in their control, from the point of the storyline. As you know later VALVe purchased WON as they were planning to do.
G-Man brought the crystal so Gordon Freeman can begin the experiment and VALVe brought us Half-Life game so we can begin our experience. Gordon Freeman puts the crystal into Anti-mass Spectrometer to start the Resonance Cascade, we the players put CD into CD-Drive to play and witness a revolution in the video game industry, the protagonist and we all together made the first contact between two worlds, on the one side XEN and the Half-Life universe, on the other side WON and the video game. It was so much important for VALVe, the developers saw the critical importance in WON for the corporate development for years ahead. The thing is, We the players, WON service and VALVe all together were the one helluva stepping stone in the plot to start and finish the first Half-Life installment, and all this was an opportunity that led to another bigger and better things achieved by VALVe since the release of Half-Life 2, the second stepping stone.

The line between the Half-Life universe, VALVe and us are getting blurred, interconnected. VALVe doesn't want money, they got enough already, they want your mind, your addiction to everything what VALVe develops, in order to achieve that there is going to be a place for everything and everybody, thousands of games in digital store with their fictional universes parallelly coexisting, inside of one big universe, Steam Universe.

Last edited:
Back