The Great Tower!

BlazeKun

Spy
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that in the big video, the tower itself moves?! A huge slab of it moves up like an elevator! What this means is that the tower most likely is constantly changing.

My theory on this is that the last levels... much like xen... will be different from the rest of the game IF it takes place in the tower *hopes* and that the levels themselves will use the displacement maps *seen in the very beggining of the tech demo* to move around the entire map a lot. If my theory proves true it should be a VERY cool level! :afro:

you mean the wall? what is that thing called.... hmm can't think of it at the moment, but it's kind of an alien device that eats up part of the city.

nope

I mean the actual tower itself. A huge slab of the tower is moving up.:cool:

If im reading the thread right, The walls are slowly moveing out wards slowly consuming City 17. You can hear the huge metal structures moveing. Not sure about the tower though ill take another look.:)

There is clearly something moving up the tower. I haven't looked closely, I figured it was some sort of exterior elevator. The tower does move. It seems to work similar to a spider. The legs pick up, move out, drop, then it pulls itself forward, consuming whatever is in it's path. I imagine being inside the fortress will be part of the end levels. I'm anxious to see some large outdoor settings. HL was so claustrophobic, everything was in Black Mesa. Hopefully we get outside alot more.

Yes, the walls are moving, and so is the tower. It is a dynamic structure, and for me is one of the most intriguing things about the game. The Combine is eating the city! Too cool....

It is a dynamic structure, and for me is one of the most intriguing things about the game. The Combine is eating the city! Too cool....

this game JESUS .. Some times im calm when posting stuff other times im hyped up because of what ive just seen on Vid or read or been told.

Acctualy if you think about it were going to be left Open mouthed Drooling at what is going to be unleashed to us in September.
But what gets me is whats going on in the minds of the Artists the Desighners behind the sences in ValVe. Just imagine been in a Team meeting, Bounceing ideas of each other and what the other members come up with.

It's awsome. But I wonder how destructive the enviroment (especially the houses) will be, because I want to see non-scripted buildings collapse!

Yah, the more you can destroy, the better. I hope there is some locational damage. Like you can shoot a zombies leg off and he crawls, or you can blow his arm off etc. That would be really cool.

That thing is to complicated for me :(, ill just wait for it when i'm playin the game :D

I had read somewhere that the building at the centre of the Combine citadel is a space elevator -- which will lead right up to a low-orbit platform. Thus the final few levels could take place in zero-gee aboard a spacestation? Yum, zero-gee with the HL2 physics... :)

Hmm... Chilling words in the last scene before it fades to black and the credits roll (setting the scene for HL3);

"Wel-welcome t-to Citadel Staaa-tion. Thereee i-is a sixxxtyfive point point point fivvvve-sevennn chance you knooow of m-me... My-my n-name is Shodan..." ;)

I think the wall is eating the city to gather material for the construction of this tower that is clealy not finished yet.

In the first screenshots I thought the tower was a background image. but when I saw it rize that giant steel slab all the way to the top I was amazed.

infinity: actually, in one of the E3 vids they did blow a zombies legs off, and he did infact crawl towards the user. it was great :)

I saw that.. but it was more then a legg.. 2 legs and his "organ"

Anyway. I read somewehere that hl2 uses a similar damagemodel system as sof2 uses

2 legs is different than 1 leg. Much cooler if you can target a specific part. ie shooting one of his legs off below the knee, and the other above it, both seperately. Or shooting his hand off if he has a gun so he can't shoot back, that kind of stuff.

It would be cool if you where able to shoot the gun out of a combine soldiers hand and he would immediatly duck away and try to get his gun back etc.

I hope they will try to get ammo from thier dead maties when they are low on ammo :)

i also noticed the slab moving the first time i watched the video.. it looks very interesting.. i aslo think that the combine is eating the city to build more robots.. and more of the tower.. this is going to be extremely fun to play out.

"Wel-welcome t-to Citadel Staaa-tion. Thereee i-is a sixxxtyfive point point point fivvvve-sevennn chance you knooow of m-me... My-my n-name is Shodan..."

A System Shock fan. The average IQ of this board just went up.

ehh.. does this mean that my IQ is higher now? w00t.. now everybody can ph33r me for my intulectically knoledg :p

To me it looked like the walls that are chewing the city are near the edge of the map, and the "Tower" might be a video on the skybox. It seems a bit out of focus and blurry, like a skybox image.

The Punisher

myeah.. i think it is a background vid also.. cuz when you are near dah wall the tower is big.. but when the strider is running after your buddies, you look at the tower again and it is even bigger!

Originally posted by EVIL
myeah.. i think it is a background vid also.. cuz when you are near dah wall the tower is big.. but when the strider is running after your buddies, you look at the tower again and it is even bigger!
... when you are close.. the wall is blocking it.. but i'm almost 100% sure this is really in the level and not part of the background.. you can clearly see when the part moves that it's not a 2-dimensional object.

they didn't say that...

they said that the tall tower might be an animation on the skybox, which seems quite possible...can't really figure it out myself...but it would be cool if it's an actual 3D model

Could be a space elevator. The thing looks like it's at least 200 stories tall.

methinks the tower will be an integral part of the storyline

yea i think so.....it eats the city, hmmmm. my guess is world domination.

Originally posted by GOoch
If im reading the thread right, The walls are slowly moveing out wards slowly consuming City 17. You can hear the huge metal structures moveing. Not sure about the tower though ill take another look.:)

ive said this before in the hl2 story thread. Its not an alien baracade crusher, its a combine one. Those SWAT lookin foos with the mask, its their fortress eating through the city.

You're all getting way ahead of yourself, it's probably just a substitute for an invisible wall or a barracade you can't jump over, to stop you from getting out of the city.
Maybe i'm wrong, you'll just have to wait :p

Well it says the tower is at the centre of the city which suggest you could leave when ever you like although in some ways you rae right like it will act as part of the edge of a level. But you cant go into the middle of the city which probably where all the answers are.

Posted by EVIL I saw that.. but it was more then a legg.. 2 legs and his "organ"

Im not sure a zombie would really need that anymore. I could be wrong "Thinks of Zombie'ss F******"

AHHH!

Back