The International 2015 Tournament Concludes

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
After 6 days of intense competition and months of preparation, The International 2015 Dota 2 tournament has finally concluded following a closely fought final between Evil Geniuses and CDEC Gaming. The Grand Finals came to a close on Saturday evening with Evil Geniuses securing victory over CDEC Gaming 3-1 in the Best of Five, making them the first North American team to ever claim first place at an International event. As you probably know, the first place prize brings over $6.6M in prize money and the honour of having their names carved on the rear of the Aegis of Champions alongside the previous 4 winning teams.

75145.jpg
Despite missing out on first place, runner-ups CDEC Gaming can still be extremely pleased with their efforts, taking second place against the best Dota 2 teams in the world and securing over $2.8M in prize money. Their runner-up position is especially surprising given their spot in The International 2015 wasn't even finalised until July 26th during the Wild Card event after last appeared as runner-ups in the Regional Qualifiers.

With just under $18.4M in prize money, extremely balanced match-ups across 16 different teams, and millions of unique viewers across more platforms than ever before, we're confident few will deny that TI5 has been one of the biggest and best tournaments in the history of both Dota and eSporting in general. Congratulations to Evil Geniuses, CDEC Gaming, and all the other participating teams on their successes. gg wp!

Last edited:
Great competition, much more entertaining to watch than last year's. Lots of upsets (especially CDEC, holy crap did they play well), and an amazing all-star match to boot.

you said the name of some countries but i only know the of the usa the best nation there is k

Is pakistan in china?

3/5ths is more than a majority

the winner's were kinda boring. They were just like "yeah good job guys" and "we feel great". Last year's winners were even more boring, the asians was it vici or ig or whatever team it was.
They won ****ing 6 million, even if you are exhausted I expect a bit more enthusiasm. Or maybe that is so much money that they can`t grasp it I don't know.

I really doubt after taxes and various expenses and dividends they really make that much. Plus they're just drained out of their minds and probably crashing off amphetamines.

I really doubt after taxes and various expenses and dividends they really make that much.
Ehm, even if you take away 1 million from that 6 million, which is a lot, it's still 5 million. Even if every player just gets 500.000 it is A LOT of money. They can live off that for a very long time (unless they waste it on drugs and whores)

Plus they're just drained out of their minds and probably crashing off amphetamines.
This argument makes sense, but still, that little bit extra enthusiasm at the last 5 minutes is not too much to ask for is it? I would freak out if I won 1000$, they not only won 6M$, they are now the best dota 2 team in the world and very famous. It is disrespectful to fans, they just stand there in the middle of the arena, everyone is cheering for them and their faces are just like "can you please shut up now I want to go home I don`t care about you"

"very" famous? haha. fame is no enviable thing by the way, not that anyone really knows who these guys are.

"very" famous? haha. fame is no enviable thing by the way, not that anyone really knows who these guys are
1. I didn`t say that fame is enviable (even if I did: you can't simply say it isn`t)
2. there are about 8 Million unique Dota players or so, probably over a million watched TI5, even if only half of those are regular watchers, they know every pro player
3. I'm talking from the pro player`s perspective, not from mine or fans
4. I don't really care about Dota anyway, only CS:GO and Starcraft 2

I think I now understand what the problem is though. It's the tournament itself. Non-stop Dota 2 over 6 days (and that's just the main event) without any gap. Because I didn't watch the whole thing, only finals and some matches here and there, it didn't feel that huge for me.
Also I just found out that some pro players even train for 10 hours per day, so I guess at the end it's just relief what they feel that it's finally over, that it finally payed off.

It probably hadn't sunk in for them yet. You spend countless hours, days, weeks, months, practicing to get it this far, it must feel pretty surreal to finally make it. Also you're right that they were exhausted at the end. They said they were probably going to take at least a month break from playing Dota before preparing for the Majors later in the year.

Back