.: The Matrix BETA 1: available! :.

MoonQuake

Reaction score
REMEMBER: this is an opportunity for you to BETA TEST a new map. IT IS NOT final. You don't like playing buggy maps? Then, play official ones.

If you do want to help perfect this map, please read on.

Thanks

The Matrix map beta1 for CS:S
by MoonQuake

Original thread and screenshots:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84427&page=5
--PLEASE READ ALL--

----------------------
INSTALLATION:
----------------------

Extract the content of the ZIP file directly into your "cstrike" folder.

".../steam/steamapps/username/counter-strike source/cstrike"

Having trouble Unzipping the ZIP? DO NOT use the windows ZIP utility, USE Winrar or Winzip.

------------------------------
Major known issues with beta1:

-Connecting to a matrix server directly crashes CS:S. FIX: Some users reported having to start CS:S, load the map first before joining a server running the map.

-No cubemaps, that means no reflections on reflective objects. Will be added on a later build.

-LIMITED bot support. They simply can't use the elevator properly so they play on either side of the map but not on both. They get stuck in some places.

-Some walls aren't properly lit with the flashlight.

-Some walls have low res lightmaps (shadow/lighting) and improper lighting.

----------------------------
Server IPs and mirrors:
----------------------------

The Matrix beta 1 just got released.
The list will grow as people update their servers to the new beta 1 and email me:

The Waste Lands - Los Angeles -
8.3.37.75:27015
FF server - 20 man
Map mirror: http://www.wastelandsgaming.com/viewtopic.php?t=915
They helped me troubleshoot the texture problem! Thanks folks!

digitalAnarchy[FF ON] --Fast Downloads
146.82.151.75:27015
Map Mirror:www.benadamski.com/shock/cs/de_thematrix_beta1.zip
Thanks Shock

----------------------
Additional mirrors:
----------------------

Fragthe.net
http://www.fragthe.net/dload.php?action=file&file_id=225
Thanks Timo!

http://www.rayjacobsen.com/css/de_thematrix_beta1.zip
Thanks Splinter (Ray)!

Enjoy The Matrix universe for Counter-Strike Source and thanks again for testing/hosting the map!

MoonQuake

Bug report or suggestions?
hl2_moonquake(at)hotmail.com
----------------------------------------------------------

Just installed, about to play it. Will let you know if I find any bugs, and what works and what not for me and the people im going to play with.

you sir are a genious!!! great map, i love it.

everything runs smoothly so far..

the only things i've noticed:

the elevator in the lobby something is "gone" leaving just an empty white space, when you walk into it, it still acts like the elevator but obviously it's really wacky.
some of the textures don't show shadow or light, obviously you know this.

I love how you did the phones to hack into another part of the map, also, the lobby will be a blast with a lot of people playing in it, all in all, damn professional map to be a beta, mad props to you MQ

Thanks guys, I'll come back tomorrow and take note of all your bug reports.

For now, I'm just too tired!

It's been fun playing with you guys!

MQ

I've seen two servers with this map on, but both say that my map differs from the servers. I dled it from the link from this topic. What the...?

Very nice map! :) I like the "free your mind" jumps. The cat is a nice touch too :)

Other servers might be in the Europe or admins still sleeping so they didn't had the time to update to the new version.

Tomorrow it will be all fixed.

Sleep.

MQ

Why aren't all the materials and media bspzipped in? Also why no cubemaps?

Part of the texture problem was exactly that. BSPZIP didn't embed the files, but CS:S wouldn't find all the references to all textures from HL2 or HL2DM. The next beta 2 should have all the stuff embeded in the BSP.

Aright, took note of your bug reports. Play it more, report more bugs so as much shit is fixed in beta 2.

Rafa:
Some walls have improper lighting when using the flashlight. Itll be corrected for beta 2...hopefully! :)

See you in-game tonight as I will be playing on the Wasteland server, you guys are welcome come come and try me, I won't be as tired as yesterday so I won't be easy on you this time! ;p

MQ

didnt find this :-(

de_thematrix15.jpg

I haven't seen the cat deal yet, is it like the movie?

Darn, I was too late. None of the servers have it in their list. Oh well, I'll create my own server and test it out ;)

I cannot play it.. It tells me I have to download a de_matrix_beta1.ain?

Ra7: the duel crater was taken out because it was using too many resources. :(

Right now, I see 6 servers running the map.

I'll randomly play on these servers from time to time when I'm not working on beta 2! :)

Where's the cat?

Where's the cat?

Deja-vu impression! :)

MQ

anyone else getting kicked to the destop with this map?
if so any fix?

I just downloaded... going to play it right now... I've waited so long for this!

Some things I found a bit weird....

dethematrixbeta100009dp.jpg

The wooden thing next to the stairs looks a bit off...

dethematrixbeta100014ea.jpg

I dunno if the half brick - half door was done on purpose but it seems a bit off...

dethematrixbeta100023ra.jpg

I suggest vertex editing the stair peices so their bottoms are slanted.

dethematrixbeta100033bz.jpg

Flashlight looks really ugly on alot of surfaces, dunno if that's because of the lack of cubemaps or what.

Great map otherwise, although it is a bit hard to jump from roof to roof.

Edit - By the way, I suggest playing with mat_wireframe 1 on, it's crazy o_O

Yea, AWESOME map, although a few bugs.

1) People can get stuck in the "phone-matrix" thing.
2) People can die in the elevator, because they get stuck in the side... the elevator moves side-to-side and so do you. Enough force and you can be pushed through the elevator and die.
3) The low-grav parts of the map is a little jaggy-jumping.

Heh, one funny funny thing happened: I was running for the elevator as it was about to take off soon, so I take out my knife and RUN! Well, I got there but the elevator door shut on me and killed me. OMFG, IT WAS SO FUNNY!

absolutely awesome map, i love how everything fits together. A few things though: The sound at the start of the round in the dojo gets really annoying after a while, maybe have it only play if players enter the dojo after 30 seconds have passed or something?
Also there are couple of lighting glitches, should be simple enough to fix.
And the elevator: Make it shake less, if possible, and also, at one point the elevator doors were left open and i could see out into this very bright whiteness, and i realized that the elevator moves sideways :p its a bit illusion breaking, so if you can fix the bug so that players cant see into the elevator 'shaft' it would be much cooler.
Finally, those 'matrix doorways' with the light distortion at the edges.. i dunno.. it looks sortof cool, but the distortion is really pixelated from a distance (and im running on a pretty high end machine), maybe you should try a different material/effect on it.
I hosted it on my server for a bit, but people downloading lagged the server like hell, so i took it off, thought i might put it back up later.
Keep working on this great map! :)
cheers
blinking halo

[RIC]Splinter said:
anyone else getting kicked to the destop with this map?
if so any fix?
I keep getting that too.. I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone help us?

Shamrock said:
I keep getting that too.. I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone help us?
the only "fix" for that at the moment is to load the map in your own server first, then go play it online, MQ knows about it.

Hate to ask it again but I'm curious what's this talk about the "cat".

arial said:
Hate to ask it again but I'm curious what's this talk about the "cat".

At the bottom of the damaged stairway there is an armchair. You can hear a cat meowing from what seems to be under or behind the armchair.

Awesome

This is incredible work MoonQuake. Thanks so mich for the time and effort.

Each of the areas is done almost to perfection, stunning for Beta1.

I love the office, the lifts, the phones (woah), the lobby...

<-- takes three red pills and swallows hard -->

I'm glad you like the map, even if it's beta 1 only.

PEOPLE! Please go take 30 sec. and READ all my first post. Please.

KICKED TO THE DESKTOP? Read:
"------------------------------
Major known issues with beta1:

-Connecting to a matrix server directly crashes CS:S. FIX: Some users reported having to start CS:S, load the map first before joining a server running the map.
"

Pesmerga: thanks for providing screens!

Ss1: might look odd, but this angled wooden "thing" I don't remember the name of that, is present in many old buildings and schools. It's made like this on purpose. I'll make it look better but it's not priority 1 for beta2.

Ss2: brick wall "extruding" is like the other extruding parts in this corner. Extruding parts found elsewhere in the level do the same if you haven't notice.

Ss3: that's a designer error. Noted. Thanks :)

Ss4: it's the reason why there are no cubemaps. Walls react weirdly for some reason to lighting from the flash light and cubemaps. Many walls are like this. It's under investigation. Thanks for reporting.

Q_onfused: can you describe the "stuck in phone matrix thing" Is it while you teleport?

Elevators: I'm aware of that bug. Fixing it for beta2.

Low grav: yeah, it's not perfect, even offline. "VALVE can you tell why?" :)

Blinking Halo: I'll fix all elevator related issues.

Music at start: people will get to decide if we keep it or kill it. I might remove it for beta 2 just to see because I'll have to cut on the size of the map a lot.

Matrix doorways distorted effect: I tried many shaders effects. But the pixelated effect was kinda chosen on purpose... it's the Matrix after all! Hehe ;)

sv_allowdownload 0 : people downloading lag your server? Set this to 0 and they won't download from the server. Unless you have a http forwarding to a fast DL server then you can set it to 1 and config your server to the direct link to the files and folders. Dunno how this whole http/ftp forwarding thing works, don't ask me for details for it's faster and doesn't lag like direct server download does.

MEOW! :)

MrSiko: you took 3 pills? You're all set. Be ready for beta 2!

MQ

Well, stuck as in 'if there's too many people in there'-stuck. If there's 4 people in there, no one can get out, get it, unless someone goes out... eh, just a one-time thing but annyoing none-the-less. I dunno what you can do to fix it... make them bigger? But then that's mess up everything else... eh, it's fine.

Q_onfused! Ok I get it, it's when you are teleported in the matrixcode rooms. There are already "push" triggers so people can't block other from teleporting there, now if people won't get out of the room or block the exit, it sucks. I'll make them bigger for beta 2 it will surely help you're right.

MQ

Okay, I got something: The texture is undersized on one of the doors.

Attachments

• de_thematrix_beta10000.jpg
    de_thematrix_beta10000.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 292
O.K. the only way I can join my server at 82.165.176.223 is to start the map on my computer locally, then pull down the console (hit ~) type "connect 82.165.176.223"
If I join directly it kicks me to desktop

stinger thats not an undersized texture, thats a door with a block above it with the same texture applied. The top texture does need to be different tho

MrMan said:
stinger thats not an undersized texture, thats a door with a block above it with the same texture applied. The top texture does need to be different tho

Hm, yeah, I guess you're right. Needs to be fixed anyway :)

Working on beta 2 right now.

1- Fix the crash to desktop problem.
2- Fix the rest! :)

MQ

Ss2: brick wall "extruding" is like the other extruding parts in this corner. Extruding parts found elsewhere in the level do the same if you haven't notice.

Yeah I understand the theme, but I'm just saying it looks awfully weird, from an aesthetic point of view. I strongly suggest getting rid of the brick in that door, and just keeping the green door. I love the broken up tiles and the sweet matrix animated texture, though, great work, and great optimization. So great, maybe you could add some more purdy effects, like a window in the cubicle office looking out into the city beyond.

stinger.aim92 said:
Hm, yeah, I guess you're right. Needs to be fixed anyway :)

Fixed. Since it NEEDED to be fixed!! :)

Pesmerga : brick on green door will stay this way unless I got more complaints about it. It's a matter of taste at this point.

BTW, I fixed the stairwell stairs (the holes underneath) like shown on your pics. Not a prioroty but it took me 5 min, so.

I also fixed the @#!@$#@ crash to desktop problem. I'll need to make more intense tests but, I got it figured.
Beleive it or not, it was the telephone sound, the one near the T spawn, that crashed CS! The sound played well in-game... G O F I G U R E!

Beta 2 is coming godly soon...

MQ

Back