The O.C.

madacian

Reaction score
Do any of you guys watch it? I'm a big fan personally. I was a bit disappointed with the first episode of the second season though. They "cleaned" things up too quickly. They could have easily played out the situation longer. But who knows, I'm sure Josh has some tricks up his sleeve. Looking forward to another great season.

I was forced to watch that show once on a school trip in the bus. During it, I was debating wether to hit the bus driver with a case that was under my seat to make him go unconsious. That way the bus would careen of the road and we would all die. Happily ever after.

Yeah, it's too mushy for me (even though I haven't seen it). Then again, I don't watch a lot of TV anymore -thanks to the god-awful reality shows that are everywhere.

LOST is the only weekly primetime show I watch.

Kiddie drama? I didn't think so. In fact I used to make fun of a good friend of mine about watching it, until I actually watched it myself. There's something about the characters that draws you into the show. Especially the main character Ryan. The writers do an excellent job developing the characters and really drawing the viewer into their current situation. You just want to keep watching and see how they deal with things, and what's going to happen next.

I saw one episode and thought it was funny, but not in a good way. It was full of random conversations, including one where they just sat there talking about how good Playstation was. I don't really see how anybody could watch more than 1 episode of it.

Kiddie Drama is correct, no different than...

-Dawson's Creek
-Smallville (althought smallville has superman, so that is win)
-Beverly Hills, 90210
-7th Heaven
-The whole ABC Family network
-Melrose's Place
-ect

It's just a garbage network show that makes the network money.

Hate all of the above.
Those TV shows are just a time filler between ads.

madacian said:
Do any of you guys watch it? I'm a big fan personally. I was a bit disappointed with the first episode of the second season though. They "cleaned" things up too quickly. They could have easily played out the situation longer. But who knows, I'm sure Josh has some tricks up his sleeve. Looking forward to another great season.

I've seen previews. It's coming here. Seems to me like another plastic drama series about plastic people living plastic lives. We've got plenty of those in here, along with "reality" shows. No wonder I don't watch TV anymore.

I guess I have a different take on it than you guys. I just view it as entertainment. Of course it's "plastic people, in plastic lives" that's what every show is. They over exaggerate real world conflicts and situations to make them entertaining. A real arguement between a guy and his girlfriend won't keep you glued to the TV. But you throw in some outrageous situations, situations that seem impossible to overcome and you get something interesting to watch. The characters on the show would never behave the way they do in real life, or come into situations as complicated and as often as they do on TV. That's why it is entertaining. If I wanted basic everyday drama, I could video tape my own life and watch it, but it wouldn't be interesting in the least.

Only shows worth watching are Third Watch and Comedy Central Presents.

madacian said:
I guess I have a different take on it than you guys. I just view it as entertainment. Of course it's "plastic people, in plastic lives" that's what every show is. They over exaggerate real world conflicts and situations to make them entertaining. A real arguement between a guy and his girlfriend won't keep you glued to the TV. But you throw in some outrageous situations, situations that seem impossible to overcome and you get something interesting to watch. The characters on the show would never behave the way they do in real life, or come into situations as complicated and as often as they do on TV. That's why it is entertaining. If I wanted basic everyday drama, I could video tape my own life and watch it, but it wouldn't be interesting in the least.
Plastic doesn't mean the people aren't real (I would hope everyone knows that)... it's the kind of people and events that take place in the show. I know exactly what he means (though I'm not going to be much better at articulating it)... and I can't stand shows like that. It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad... they just don't usually target the more intelligent audience. The only shows that I dislike more are shows like CSI that just fake stuff you could see on real shows like "Cold Case Files" or "FBI Files" or some other forensics/investigation show... but with some fluff thrown in for good measure.

Dalamari said:
Only shows worth watching are Third Watch and Comedy Central Presents.
What? No Scrubs? No Family Guy? No re-runs of older shows like Seinfeld, MASH, etc? I'm sure there are plenty of other shows worth watching, but I haven't been watching much TV lately... so I'm having trouble recalling shows I watched frequently. What about funny talk/news shows like Late Night with Conan O'Brien or the Daily Show with Jon Stewart?

madacian said:
Kiddie drama? I didn't think so. In fact I used to make fun of a good friend of mine about watching it, until I actually watched it myself. There's something about the characters that draws you into the show. Especially the main character Ryan. The writers do an excellent job developing the characters and really drawing the viewer into their current situation. You just want to keep watching and see how they deal with things, and what's going to happen next.

oh come on it's sooo unrealistic ..where's the fat people? where's the ugly people? Why is everyone is the show down to the adults uneasitically good looking? seriously look at your own group of friend ..I bet the majority dont look like they just walked out of Seventeen magazine. Everyone is successful (or on their way there) no one ever has any real problems like paying the mortgage or taking out the trash. It's just soo contrived it's a prime time soap opera for young adults/teens ..I bet very few adults over 25 watch it, I bet their largest demographic is 15-20

sorry dont mean to rain on your parade but as a drama it's very mediocre. That said I spend most of tv time watching documentaries and news programs ..tv is teh shit ..as someone's already stated, the reality shows killed tv

Dalamari said:
Kiddie Drama is correct, no different than...

-Dawson's Creek
-Smallville (althought smallville has superman, so that is win)
-Beverly Hills, 90210
-7th Heaven
-The whole ABC Family network
-Melrose's Place
-ect

It's just a garbage network show that makes the network money.

7th Heaven!!!! arggghhhhhh! a religious show masquerading as a kiddie-drama ..seriously I wish they would take that crap off the air ...who watches those types of shows? Ned flanders?

CptStern said:
oh come on it's sooo unrealistic ..where's the fat people? where's the ugly people? Why is everyone is the show down to the adults uneasitically good looking? seriously look at your own group of friend ..I bet the majority dont look like they just walked out of Seventeen magazine. Everyone is successful (or on their way there) no one ever has any real problems like paying the mortgage or taking out the trash. It's just soo contrived it's a prime time soap opera for young adults/teens ..I bet very few adults over 25 watch it, I bet their largest demographic is 15-20

sorry dont mean to rain on your parade but as a drama it's very mediocre. That said I spend most of tv time watching documentaries and news programs ..tv is teh shit ..as someone's already stated, the reality shows killed tv

I guess you didn't read my next post. Of course there's no ugly people, of course they look like they just stepped out of Seventeen magazine, it's a TV show. A piece of fiction meant to entertain. Like I said, if I wanted to be bored by drama I'd video tape my life, ugly people and all. Anyway, their demographic is much higher than you think. I'm 25 myself, and most of the people I know are my age or a few years younger. Have you actually watched the show?

madacian said:
I guess you didn't read my next post. Of course there's no ugly people, of course they look like they just stepped out of Seventeen magazine, it's a TV show. A piece of fiction meant to entertain. Like I said, if I wanted to be bored by drama I'd video tape my life, ugly people and all. Anyway, their demographic is much higher than you think. I'm 25 myself, and most of the people I know are my age or a few years younger. Have you actually watched the show?

Admittedly I've only watched bits and pieces. I cant get into it much in the same way I could nver like BH 90125 or Melrose place or any of the other teen tv shows ...even when I was a teen I didnt like those kind of shows. I'm sure it has some merits but I just cant get into it as it's pretty low brow

Dalamari said:
Any teen drama show ever made with a new name
Ahh, and I would reply why the hell would I want to see that? I can get enough of that in real life. And then you would respond, well they are all good looking. And then I would reply, I can just get drunk. End of conversation, no more OC talk. I thought the OC might be somthing significant but it obviously isn't now.

This is the worst show i've ever seen. It's almost the same episode EVERYTIME I see it. That Ryan guy and his "girlfriend" are together at the start, then they split up and the end because of some random pretentious thing. The guy that plays Ryan has that "miffed" look down to a tee considering he has to use it EVERY episode when his girlfriend runs off in a huff. But it's never his fault, because it was the other girl that kissed HIM, he didn't kiss her, and she's his sister/old friend/ex girlfriend that just happens to be a stripper anyway.

Then there's Ryan's friend who I just saw kissing another girl. Now he has to master the "miffed" look when his girlfriend runs off in a huff, but it was her that kissed HIM, he didn't kiss her!!1111

StardogChampion said:
This is the worst show i've ever seen. It's almost the same episode EVERYTIME I see it. That Ryan guy and his "girlfriend" are together at the start, then they split up and the end because of some random pretentious thing. The guy that plays Ryan has that "miffed" look down to a tee considering he has to use it EVERY episode when his girlfriend runs off in a huff. But it's never his fault, because it was the other girl that kissed HIM, he didn't kiss her, and she's his sister/old friend/ex girlfriend that just happens to be a stripper anyway.

Then there's Ryan's friend who I just saw kissing another girl. Now he has to master the "miffed" look when his girlfriend runs off in a huff, but it was her that kissed HIM, he didn't kiss her!!1111

Someone watches it an aweful lot considering it's the "worst show you've ever seen."

Back