The teleport screwup

Rupertvdb

Reaction score
That little section has to be one of the most awesome bits of the game, it was such a flashback to HL but also had it's own unique twist with the Breen stuff, the itchyosaur coming at you was also a freakishly amazing addition.

Don't really know why i'm posting this but yeah, that bit was teh pwnage.

I agree. They did a good job of making you feel confused and in the middle of a malfunction It's all the little details that make it so believable.

I agree, I like the part where Breen says "Gordon Freeman" in a very serious tone. The itchyosaur was amazing but that was the only time I saw it in the game, anyone know where to find them?

Crowbar 15 said:
I agree, I like the part where Breen says "Gordon Freeman" in a very serious tone. The itchyosaur was amazing but that was the only time I saw it in the game, anyone know where to find them?
Oh but every time I wen't into the water I was scared shitless because of it, they didn't need to show it again!

the live in the deeper parts of the ocean, i got eaten by one once. here is what you do if you want to be eaten by that monster:
1. open up highway 17
2. drive you buggy (or jump) off on of the cliffs into the ocean
3. you never see the thing, but you hear some really horrible sounds .(the sound of something eating you, i always assumed it was the same monster you saw in the beginning.

AJ Rimmer said:
Oh but every time I wen't into the water I was scared shitless because of it, they didn't need to show it again!

Same thing here :cheers:

Rupertvdb said:
That little section has to be one of the most awesome bits of the game, it was such a flashback to HL
hehe... I liked the way that you were given the honours of flipping the switch for Alyx's teleport - It gave you a flashback to the last time you flipped a switch ^^. I also loved Barney's Sarcastic comment: "Glad to see that MIT education really paid off" :D

So anyone know if the itchyosaur is in the game as an enemy? I haven't seen one, if it is you must have to go looking for it.

I didn't see it another time than during the teleport experiment.

"conditions could be hardly more ideal"
-dr.kliener.

*shudders*

I think someone said they got into to the Icthysaur's area and tried to fight it. Sounded like the AI was incomplete, hence why you don't see it anywhere else in the game.

kupoartist said:
I think someone said they got into to the Icthysaur's area and tried to fight it. Sounded like the AI was incomplete, hence why you don't see it anywhere else in the game.
Hmmm, more likely you don't see it anywhere in the game, hence the AI was not completed.

I got into it's area, but couldn't actually find it...

Start a new game on Red Letter day, and noclip straight up. You should find both the desert and the ocean, quite high up. The water is too murky to see very far, and I couldn't see that bloody Ichy anywhere.

I think, if HL2 is the same as CS Source , that you are entering the sky/terrain boxes. On CS source if you die and clip out of the levels you can see a small version of the terrain and various objects used in the level. Another possibility (of which im not to sure about) is that when the Ichy is not following its animation it is not visible. It clearly does not attack because it sees you, so it almost certainly a scripted model which means it could quite possibly not be there until it is needed.

AJ Rimmer said:
Hmmm, more likely you don't see it anywhere in the game, hence the AI was not completed.
This is equally true of course... I can't think of a single other place in the game that could have contained an Icthysaur, and if they were only going to use it for the Oceans, they probably figured that it was a waste of time a resources to complete.

Revenge said:
I got into it's area, but couldn't actually find it...

Start a new game on Red Letter day, and noclip straight up. You should find both the desert and the ocean, quite high up. The water is too murky to see very far, and I couldn't see that bloody Ichy anywhere.
I found it!

Merrr said:
I found it!
Nice, good work!

kupoartist said:
This is equally true of course... I can't think of a single other place in the game that could have contained an Icthysaur, and if they were only going to use it for the Oceans, they probably figured that it was a waste of time a resources to complete.
They could have used it in the boatlevel.

lmao. it looks retarded, look at its eyes, and the way it open's its mouth

The bit where Breen says Freeman's name I thought was perfect. Very well done.

When i was going threw thes sequence... All i was thinking was "HOLY $#!%" That was sweet. Then I was glued to my chair for 5 more hours :)

BGSURooDOG said:
When i was going threw thes sequence... All i was thinking was "HOLY $#!%" That was sweet. Then I was glued to my chair for 5 more hours :)
Yeh, same here. I cudnt stop playing afte that.

yeah, i love the fact that they have it in first person...in any other game that sequence would be a cutscene, and wouldn't be half as engaging as it was in hl2.

Fliko said:
lmao. it looks retarded, look at its eyes, and the way it open's its mouth
I was mukin around spawning the model of it and the eyes actually look incredible from the right angle.
Open the console and type npc_create npc_ichthyosaur to spawn it, in case anyone wants a good look at the model, it will lunge at you and turn but thats about it, I cant seem to get it to swim.

Aye. I think the icthyosaur was going to be in there...then they couldn't find a place for it and decided to give it a small part and leave the rest to the modders.

Vinnie_NL said:
They could have used it in the boatlevel.
They could have, but it would be somewhat pointless given that you'd most likely whizz straight past it. Heh... for all I know, I may have done just that!

Look at my first screenshot and how amazin the flashlight shinin on it looks, I can't stop looking at it to admire this.

Merrr said:
I was mukin around spawning the model of it and the eyes actually look incredible from the right angle.
Open the console and type npc_create npc_ichthyosaur to spawn it, in case anyone wants a good look at the model, it will lunge at you and turn but thats about it, I cant seem to get it to swim.

That is easily the best model in the game if you can count it as in the game.

Merrr said:
Look at my first screenshot and how amazin the flashlight shinin on it looks, I can't stop looking at it to admire this.
It is real evil-looking...

The horror! The horror! Man, they look damn cool in the Source engine. I wish Valve had used them in HL2.

Back