The thing prequel - leaked trailer + screenies

didn't the thing flop really badly on release though, and only really become succesful as a cult movie? if that were so, i can't see how this being made is generally to cash in on that, because lucking out on a cult following over a major financial grossing is probably considered bad industry-side. it seems like quite an odd thing to get on the bandwagon with.

Because there's adaptation of both Hawkes' movie and Campbell's novel 'Who Goes There?' in Carpenter's 'The Thing', there's room enough to allow for a 'remake' because you'd loosely (or heavily) be drawing on a range of different material, each its own respective Antarctican tale of paranoia in an isolated environment, resulting from a polymorphic alien. In a sense, then, it's hard to get too pissy about anything entitled 'The Thing', but at the same time, this prequel we're getting has established itself as existing within the canonicity of Carpenter's story and this is where my problem is gestating. There's no Norwegian base in Campbell's novel or Hawkes' movie. So the emphasis here should be on the good name of John Carpenter and his movie, and the irreparable damage being done to its narrative and the legacy therein. "Irreparable damage" - oh, the alarmism!

Sure, you can watch it over and over again and act like this prequel never happened, but they're still taking a key element from that film and weaving a hackneyed mess out of it. Not knowing the exact details of what happened at that base is one of the elements of mystery I constantly find myself coming back to when I see the film for the umpteenth time, and I realise I never actually want to know what happened there or how it occured. The movie doesn't want me to know, either. It's a blot - a corner intentionally darkened. I don't appreciate a torch being flashed in its general direction, even if I don't have to personally watch this prequel.

Correction, you will walk out, I will stay and sit and watch 'til the credits, for better or worse, I will watch it. I will judge it on its merits and weaknesses.

Well, bra-****ing-vo to you. What a noble man.

I never actually want to know what happened there or how it occured. The movie doesn't want me to know, either. It's a blot - a corner intentionally darkened. I don't appreciate a torch being flashed in its general direction, even if I don't have to personally watch this prequel.

Except you do, because the videos they found pretty much explicitly show what happened. They found the UFO, they found the occupant, who then defrosted. What happened after that was obviously akin to what happened to the US station.
Either way, it still doesn't affect my enjoyment of Carpenter's film.

that's not exactly what i meant, but on the contrary helps argue my point re: kick ass and scott pilgrim in that they had successful films made out of them based on their cult following. as far as i'm aware they both went down very well, here's hoping for the same regarding this film.
Actually Scott Pilgrim was a bit of a flop, which is a damn shame. :(

Wasn't really trying to contest your point so much as point out that these movies can and do get funded regardless of cult appeal, often drawing in big bucks and big name actors/directors, as with Pilgrim or (perhaps to a lesser extent) Kick Ass. Actually, it seems as though the source material is often largely ignored in the marketing for these films, as I honestly can't remember hearing it referenced much in the promotional material for the examples I used, and in fact wasn't even aware some of them were based on comics until I saw them mentioned elsewhere. So whether this is more of a creative enterprise than a fiscal one can't really be determined by it's existing appeal, as really I'd say Hollywood is game to milk just about anything these days.

In any case I'm not really convinced of The Thing's cult status. It's pretty synonymous with classic horror, as far as I've seen. Might not have a massive fanbase as compared to other horror movies, but I'd say it had pretty good name recognition at least.

I would be willing to bet some loose change that they may involve a lame government plot in this one. Like, you know, the Government knew what was out there, but wanted to see what would happen to a team of explorers as a test in an isolated area, and like one of the guys will be in on it, and he'll be a mean government guy because he just wants money.

I would be willing to bet some loose change that they may involve a lame government plot in this one. Like, you know, the Government knew what was out there, but wanted to see what would happen to a team of explorers as a test in an isolated area, and like one of the guys will be in on it, and he'll be a mean government guy because he just wants money.
Pretty much the plot of the video game sequel.

Back