love_nutz2

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9jp_l9qMY&feature=player_embedded

the_thing_03-535x356.jpg

the_thing_08-535x356.jpg

the_thing_02-535x356.jpg

the_thing_09.jpg

the_thing_07.jpg

Universal Studios have debuted the first official photos from their upcoming prequel to John Carpenter classic movie, The Thing. The movie has had many incarnations in the past with the most notable being the 1982 version that starred Kurt Russell.

Antarctica: an extraordinary continent of awesome beauty. It is also home to an isolated outpost where a discovery full of scientific possibility becomes a mission of survival when an alien is unearthed by a crew of international scientists. The shape-shifting creature, accidentally unleashed at this marooned colony, has the ability to turn itself into a perfect replica of any living being. It can look just like you or me, but inside, it remains inhuman. In the thriller The Thing, paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers as they’re infected, one by one, by a mystery from another planet.

Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) has traveled to the desolate region for the expedition of her lifetime. Joining a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across an extraterrestrial ship buried in the ice, she discovers an organism that seems to have died in the crash eons ago. But it is about to wake up.

When a simple experiment frees the alien from its frozen prison, Kate must join the crew’s pilot, Carter (Joel Edgerton), to keep it from killing them off one at a time. And in this vast, intense land, a parasite that can mimic anything it touches will pit human against human as it tries to survive and flourish.

The Thing

Ah jesus, ah jesus! jesus! I've waited years for this. :eek: DON'T **** THIS UP!

So, the scientists that were there are international now? Lame, was somewhat hoping the entire film would be in Norwegian.
Also, I wish movie studios would actually rename the ****ing sequels/prequels/remakes/whatever the **** instead of just calling it the same thing.

for the record, i believe that the thing requires no such prequel or any sort of renewal that may be related, but i cannot lie that i'm very much looking forward to this simply because it's something related to the thing, the idea that they are going to be using prosthetics and as little CG as possible plus adewale akinnuoye-agbaje of simon adebisi/mr eko fame.

i don't have high hopes for it, but i'm excited all the same. i'm going to treat it the same way i trat die hard 4.0, which i find to be a good action flick, but not a die hard.

Are they going to release an equally terrible game?

What exactly have they ****ed up? its still a Norwegian team with two English speaking guests to the team? it was said in an interviews around the start of summer.
I was just going by Lucid's comment. I was in too much of a fangirl rage to really think about it. THANK YOU FOR calirfiCFICA clarification.

Great, a shitty prequel to one of my favorite films. so excited

What is it with these prequels/reboots and picking really weak looking leads? Look at those baby faced mother****ers. Kurt Russell would eat these chumps for breakfast.

Speaking of unnecessary, can somebody explain what the point of writing "You Tube" in the title of a YouTube video is?

I don't want this to happen. There's still time for them to cancel the project and send everyone home.

I'd rather have a prequel that compliments the original, than a straight remake that shits all over it.

Compliments it by comparison, you mean. HEH.
attachment.php

Man I can't get all fan wanky about the Thing, I only saw it like a year ago.

It don't want this to happen. There's still time for them to cancel the project and send everyone home.

The movie will be made, then kids will have no idea the original or the Carpenter version ever existed. Whenever you'll mention the Thing they will think you mean this one.

Muahahahah

I'd rather have a prequel that compliments the original, than a straight remake that shits all over it.

My thoughts as well. Though keeping the same name kinda smudges that point a bit.

I wonder how their going to end it? are they even going to give a hint that the John Carpenter movie even exist, or is the reason their planning to call it 'the thing', is they do plan to remake the 'the thing' after all...

I presume they'll end it with the dog running off, and the helicopter giving chase.

That will be the original ending, but then they'll change it in the theatrical release to have the dog leaping at the camera for a cheap jump scare.

this is actually going to be the remake of the thing from 1951. the norwegian team in the thing (1982) was a homage to the original (remember the videotape scene, it was the film scenes taken from the original).

But we walk out before that happens.

This :flame:

That will be the original ending, but then they'll change it in the theatrical release to have the dog leaping at the camera for a cheap jump scare.

Oh god this ;(

and then they remake the original cos idiotic audiences will think:

"oh cool now we'll get a sequel!"

images

It's not an attitude that I can understand. Even if they were to remake it, so what? You can still watch the original in all its unadulterated glory anytime you wish.

Why be so bothered about what the idiotic audiences think?

One of my favourite movies ever is The Day The Earth Stood Still. The original one. The remake from 2008 wasn't even fit to squat near its shadow, and I doubt that the general populace even knows about the original, yet I can happily watch it again any time I want.

The original scared you? Are you serious? or are you talking bout the 80's version?

Carpenter's movie is more true to the book. 1951 version, on the other hand, is a politicial movie - not my thing, but I got to admit, it's a pretty solid movie.

Mary Elizabeth is probably going to ruin the movie, because she can't act for shit.

I don't think The Thing should have a woman in it anyways. Sorry ladies, The Thing just worked well as a cocks only club.

Partially because it didn't involve any "Is this hot chick really an alien?" cliches.

It's not an attitude that I can understand. Even if they were to remake it, so what? You can still watch the original in all its unadulterated glory anytime you wish.

Why be so bothered about what the idiotic audiences think?

One of my favourite movies ever is The Day The Earth Stood Still. The original one. The remake from 2008 wasn't even fit to squat near its shadow, and I doubt that the general populace even knows about the original, yet I can happily watch it again any time I want.

I loved both The Thing from Another Planet and The Thing (for very different reasons), and while I'm somewhat excited about the idea of another movie in the same vein, I'm also anxious about it.

The thing is (no pun), the classics are classics for a reason. They don't need to be remade. And people take it personally when the things they loved about the original don't carry over to the newer incarnation. Most of these "remakes" aren't done because they are (generally) wanted, but because it's a way to make money, and in a lot of cases that shits all over the original.

Take I, Robot for instance. It was a successful movie - enough so that they're making a sequel. The reviews were mixed. But the thing about it is, anyone who has read Asimov's work knows that the movie's storyline shits all over his books. It's nothing like anything he would have ever done.

Yeah you can go back to the originals and ignore the shoddy remakes, but the existence of them is still an injustice. The original The Thing and Carpenter's were very different, but he respected the source material, and that's something we may not get with this remake.

Back