The Thing.

DannyC.

Reaction score
Has anybody ever played "The Thing" for Xbox? I rented it a long time ago, and I rented it again the day before yesterday. I loved the movie and I love the game :)

Anybody who has seen or heard of the movie (Kurt Russel), it's the same thing, except now you need to weaken them with bullets and then incinerate them.

Probably the most underrated game of all-time. I loved it to no end, honestly. Get it, yeah, it's worth it.

Had some kind of scare system didn't it, where your team mates would go insane or something if you didn't stop them from going crazy, seemed good.

Oh and The Thing = Shens

True story.

Hectic Glenn said:
Had some kind of scare system didn't it, where your team mates would go insane or something if you didn't stop them from going crazy, seemed good.

Oh and The Thing = Shens

True story.

That can be solved with adrenaline hypos, or simply getting them out of the area that's making them freak.

I was just playing it, a part where you need to get out of this room where a fire is spreading. I pulled the extinguisher and began to spray the small flame. It spread, so I moved, and kept spraying. It spread again, so I started running to the door, it was locked, then a barrel explded and I died. Now I have to start all the way from that recorder in the operations room. I hate fighting things in narrow corridors.

Blake = 7eh 2h1z :E

Yeah, great game. Never brought it, just played it at my mates house. Big Thing fans, me and him.

I found it a bit wierd how they started using the games front cover for the movie DVD's front cover. :\ The game front cover shows the main character, who is holding a machine gun, and a couple more guys behind him. Why they put this on the movie box, which isn't anything to do with the games character or machine guns for that matter is beyond me... Well, it may look snazzier... but still.

My movie DVD must have a newer case then, because it's a guy screaming, but his mouth looks wider than usual and he's encased in ice. I've never actually beaten the game. I know you start fighting troops later, earlier on I was like "Why the hell do I have a sniper rifle?" I suppose I could shoot at some Things from up on a roof or something, then when I come down all I have to do is torch em'. But I like making a little flame barrier, then shooting them with the shotgun or machine gun.

You know how the first level is at the U.S. outpost from the movie? Remember when Blake reported finding one body, that was Chiles with the bottle of alcohol!

(^ For anyone who hasn't seen the movie)

I was going to rent it 2 or 3 times before, but I had never heard of it so I decided to rent games I heard good things about. Now we use netflix, so I don't realy go to the rental place any more.

Now you have heard good things about it, so do yourself a favor, go to the rental place, and rent... The Thing! OooOOoOoOOoo!

Own the movie and the game. Great movie, very good game

DannyC. said:
You know how the first level is at the U.S. outpost from the movie? Remember when Blake reported finding one body, that was Chiles with the bottle of alcohol!

(^ For anyone who hasn't seen the movie)

Then it won't make any difference for them, because they won't know who Childs is.

Yup, the games totally awesome.

The game was fun, albeit monotonous at times.

I also didn't really care for the whole human conspiracy aspect that was introduced later. It just seemed to water down what The Thing was all about: a freakish deadly alien that scares the shit out of you.

I never beat it.

So damn cool. Oh I wubs The Thing.

And the game/film franchise, too.

DannyC. said:
I was just playing it, a part where you need to get out of this room where a fire is spreading. I pulled the extinguisher and began to spray the small flame. It spread, so I moved, and kept spraying. It spread again, so I started running to the door, it was locked, then a barrel explded and I died.
:eek: you found teh super secret extinguisher that was filled with petrol :imu::eek:

My DVD front looks like this.

27769.jpg

Great movie btw, one of my favourite horror movies ever. The game looks cool, but I never got around playing it though.

The_Monkey said:
WHat ever happened to "The Thing" (the user)?
the_thing = Shens. He changed his name, his avatar, and started acting a lot differently.

Samon said:
Then it won't make any difference for them, because they won't know who Childs is.

Yup, the games totally awesome.

Once they begin watching the movie they'll find out who he is.

Petrol fire extinguisher, heh heh. What I need to do in that room just popped into my mind, so I'll go do that in a bit. But first I'll need to open these chamber doors, thus letting out one of those mutants with the bigass arm, so then I have to keep him at bay while I close up the air ducts that the tiny guys are coming through :x

Without the ability to make little firewalls that game would be near impossible at times.

Loke said:
My DVD front looks like this.

<Photo here, snip>

Great movie btw, one of my favourite horror movies ever. The game looks cool, but I never got around playing it though.

There's about three boxes, then. That one, the old one with a pretty graphic picture of what I think was Blake (I think that was his name) and then the newer one which is the game box cover.

Possible movie spoiler:

Was Blake the guy who transforms on the operating table? God that part owned

TheBleeding said:
Was Blake the guy who transforms on the operating table? God that part owned

Hm, I checked at IMDB and didn't find any guy named Blake in the movie. Only someone in the game.

Movie Spoiler:
I think the guy that gets transformed on the table is named Vance Norris in the movie. And yeah, that part owned. I liked when he's head transformed into a thing that looked like a spider :E

That part was cool. Then the head got away and turned into a little spider.

I think the person you're thinking of is Blair. Blake's the guy you play as in the game.

That part scared the hell out of me. I swear, I must have jumped 5 feet.

Especially when his chest opened... ew. :E

Oh, sorry Loke, you already mentioned the little spider.

I thought the creepiest parts were in the dog kennel, the acidic juice and all.

The game did kind of ruin the feel of the movie, what with the Whidely guy somehow controlling the infection and becoming all-powerful in a way. It's just supposed to be fighting a rabid alien virus that turns living creatures into zombified mutants, not some military conspiricy.

Yeah, Loke, its Norris. My bad. I remember it now because I was considering ordering the 'Norris Mutation' from the Spawn website because it looked so badass.

The part where they're all strapped down to the sofa taking the bloodtests was good, too. :D

No problem. :)

Hehe, I just checked that website, very nice model. :)

I've got the Thing on VHS (new box design) and did have it on DVD until it went missing when I moved back from the dorms (same box as Loke but english). Still haven't found it. :(

I bought it for the PC Summer 2003 and only completed it about 4 months ago. I got about 3/4 the way through and stoped then decided to finish it. I found it scary at times, especially being chased by mutants who come out of no where. Was a good game though.

I remember watching some of the outtakes of the film. There's was one scene where the ginger bloke (don't know his name) was in the kennels walking slowly to the cages but it cuts out before he goes in. Really wanted to know what would've happened.

EDIT: Just found out on some site, seems he gets killed by the Thing.

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/dsbennings.jpg

Sanada said:
I've got the Thing on VHS (new box design) and did have it on DVD until it went missing when I moved back from the dorms (same box as Loke but english). Still haven't found it. :(

I bought it for the PC Summer 2003 and only completed it about 4 months ago. I got about 3/4 the way through and stoped then decided to finish it. I found it scary at times, especially being chased by mutants who come out of no where. Was a good game though.

I remember watching some of the outtakes of the film. There's was one scene where the ginger bloke (don't know his name) was in the kennels walking slowly to the cages but it cuts out before he goes in. Really wanted to know what would've happened.

EDIT: Just found out on some site, seems he gets killed by the Thing.

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/images/dsbennings.jpg

Looks like Fuchs.

I remember The Thing 2 being mentioned in the pipeline somewhere. The picture they had for it was three men, wearing helmets, talking to each other holding a torch-lamp thing to light up their faces. Wonder what happened to it.

I love the movie :D the game was very fun, I never finished it though. I'll have to find it

Wow, reading through on that outpost 31 site, there was alot of cool shit that got cut. The part about Naul bursting through the snow saying 'help' before being torn apart by Blair looked awesome.

EDIT: Dark Horse 'The Thing' graphic novels! Gotta get me some o' them.

Back