The "We Won't Sell Out To Valve" pact?

Hell, I know that if Valve wanted to buy my mod, I'd sell it in a shot. Even better would to be offered a job. As long as I'd still have creative control, I'd be happy. Still, if they didn't want to buy it, I wouldn't mind either. I like making things.

Am I a sellout? Yeah, but I'm a Lawyer, no?

-Angry Lawyer

Aren't you now contradicting yourself? If Valve buys a mod, it's gonna be because they like the content already, no real need to hawk over the mod team, I don't think that will be an issue that gamers are really gonna care about if the mod/game turns out sweet... Besides, is not Halflife 2 a grand game? It's not like Valve ruins games. they make them, and they are masterpiece's of the state of the art.....!!!!!

StardogChampion said:
I mean, how would you guys like it if MS came in and hired the entire Firefox team, renamed it to Firefox 2.0 and started charging you for it? This is kind of how I see it.

Bad Analogy. It's not like these people don't have a choice in the matter. And since mozilla is an open source project, your scenario is just not realistic.

If some dev company or publisher wanted to take a mod retail, other than valve, they would still have to pay $$$ to use the source engine.

I say good luck to all those future game developers out there who are hoping to getting there foot in the door with this stuff. I had no problem buying the silver steam package. They earned the money.

StardogChampion said:
There are going to be some A+ mods coming out for HL2, and i'm afraid Valve will pull a DoD or a CS on us and buy out the most popular mods then sell them to us.

Has anyone been thinking of making anything like this? It could take the form of a simple button somewhere on a mod's site.

Something tells me that you have not spent years making anything even remotely interesting to the hl-community, or anyone for that matter.

.bog.

umm, doods...

you CAN still download the original CS, for free. you DID know that, right?

All you need is Half Life 1 installed to play it.
Same will go for HL2.

Back