The Winterfell Huis Clos, and other mind-blowing ASOIAF/GOT theories

Reaction score
EXTREME SPOILERS AHEAD - DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE READ ADWD AND WANT ASOIAF ENDGAME SPECULATION

http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Contents.html

I stumbled on this guy's site a few weeks ago, and it's haunted me ever since.

It started out as a treatise on the Winterfell chapters in ADwD to attempt to explain what was really going on, but it exploded into a 15,000 word deep reading into the series. He goes deep, very deep into ASoIaF; further than I've ever seen a fan dig into fiction. If you're a fan of close reading, it's amazing. He teases out little details that build a grand--I will say epic--picture, and gave me a bigger insight into GRRM's universe that I didn't know was there. There are several "holy shit, how did I not notice that" moments. This site has made me realise that ASOIAF's world rivals Tolkien's, which isn't something to put lightly. He proposes believable hypotheses for many topics, including the intricate history of houses barely mentioned, magic, and Martin's goals for the series.

Here are my favourite reads:

Super spoiler theory (imo):
Horns. - Notice what the cover of TWoW is?

So, what's the difference between this and the ever-speculative ASOIAF forum? It's only one person's opinion, and it's not just a handful of quotes, but deep digging into each topic. You can tell this guy was obsessed by the "non-events" of Winterfell, and his meticulousness shows. It's also very comprehensive, which a lot of one-off theories can't boast to be.

That's not to say the ASOIAF forum hasn't come up with its own amazing theories, so I'll give two that have gained a lot of traction:

So, ASOIAF theory discussion. Any that seem plausible? Your favourites? Your own?

Obviously, spoilers therein and ahead.

Thanks for the links! I will have a read of this later, it sounds like good stuff.

I am sure it's very well known and boring, but my favorite theory is the idea that Manderly may have fed the Freys their own kin, as in the rat cook myth.

Yeah, you want Freys with that?

Obvious ones that should be mentioned: R+L=J, Sandor Gravedigger, the black tomcat of the Red Keep is Balerion - Rhaenys' kitten who is warged by Bloodraven.

Back