There is no Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
psycho is right...

actually everything he said was right. theres not a lot of point in denying facts just to make yourself feel better.

well sadly, every thing that pyscho said is true. i won't deny it because i can verify it.

although its great fun, its nowhere near what hl2 will be when its released so i would stay clear. very very early copy if you didnt know by now.

no hdrl, enemies are very dumb, and very buggy.

no sense of denying it, but i would refrain from attemping to get it. just wait however long it will be until its out. :) it wont disappoint you.

I wouldn't consider what was released a "beta". I don't think many people would.

If you care to look up the definition of a beta, you'll find that a beta is a mostly working build, but still under test. Considering this is far from a mostly working build of Half-Life 2 (you cannot play multiplayer at an acceptable standard, you cannot play the single player campaign through etc.), the best you could technically do is call it a Valve Source engine beta.

As I've stated in numerous posts since, this shouldn't be treated as a Half-Life 2 beta, perhaps an alpha, but I wouldn't even go that far. I've simply referred to it as pre-release content.

*Insta-Ban* Lol, just kiddin' :p

Also, rec, I agree with your post ^above^ 100%. Very well said... err, typed I should say :).

It seems to me that most peoples believe that the beta is very far from completed. I have to disagree, the sp engine seems to be around 99% done, error handling should be on valve's list (at least when it crashes it tells you why, makes since in a lot of cases). Game content is probably around 80-90% completed. If you have not heard there is an hl2 map pack with so many maps (all un-compiled, but so easy to compile). Mainly there are just some easy to fix glitches all over the levels, textures/models missing, also to me the ai seems intelligent but still lacks a few things. Most levels are not set up properly to load one to the next but SOME are. It seems that without a dx9 or dx8 card that shaders (water, wires, and eyes) will not work but the game will still function. There are many guns completed, over 21 with around 13 wip ones. Playing this release however has not ruined hl2 for me and I will still buy it ASAP. There are some amazing things that go on while playing, that shows unscripted ai in many parts, (cannot really say because people will whine about *spoilers*). All in all there are about 17 *almost* completed levels (a good couple of hours of completed game play) with mapping groups finishing around 1 a day, not including over 5-10 un-compiled levels. Scripted sequences are now becoming functional, slowly but surely; also lip syncing works in many cases, just a matter of time till all of the voices have lip sync files written for them. Hl2 runs exceptionally good, better then battlefield 1942 with maps close to the same size, all on my 64 mb radeon 9700. Also, ALL of the hl1 levels have been converted with hammer/worldcraft over to the hl2 engine. Online play is not so good, actually it is terribly laggy, might just be map problems, could be a server issue, or that hl2 mp is not yet optimized. Also word on the street is that dedicated servers are now functioning. Worldcraft, hell to set up but SO easy to use, I would buy hl2 just to get this editor. If you say the beta is terrifically incomplete you have not used ingenuity to transverse the levels. Anyone who gets the beta should be prepared to buy the *real* deal when it comes out, hell this is almost like free publicity.

I don't want to download the beta or find anything out about the actual game. But when you say that the editor is SO easy to use do you mean it is much easier to use than the HL version? Because if so all I can say is "wow".

Well I have never used the first editor, but in a good hour I managed to create a map (textured) with a few enemies. Simple to use application, with extensive features and a nice help guide. All of the level editing can be seen in 3d and you can create ai waypoints and much, much more. You can essentually create levels with official level quality, including talking characters and scripted sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back