Things I didn't like about HL2.

This is the kind of guy that will bash Bioshock: "I SAID THAT THERE IS NO CITY UNDER THE WATER AND THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD IT OMG"

:|

But we can build a city underwater...

Actually the MP7 gren. Launcher IS dumb.
I mean the looks not the function.

When i look at the MP/ i see 2 barrels with the same size.
And the grenade seems thicker then the weapon itself...and where does it go in?

But that doesn?t really matter...the gameplay is what is worth it.

Bioshock: whoever said that about the game was really dumb.

And Half-Life takes place in 2005, but was produced in 1998-1998.

Yup. I've also heard it's updating stuff in the engine as well? Something about being able to support larger maps.

Yeah Episode 2 will have a new Render so it can render more stuff and bigger maps with the same performance. Plus Flashlights and and I also heard that certain map lights (Up to the mapper I think) will cast dynamic shadows.

Does this mean less loading points/more loading time? D:

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THE MOTHERF**KING QUESTION?!

Actually the MP7 gren. Launcher IS dumb.
I mean the looks not the function.

When i look at the MP/ i see 2 barrels with the same size.
And the grenade seems thicker then the weapon itself...and where does it go in?

But that doesn?t really matter...the gameplay is what is worth it.

Bioshock: whoever said that about the game was really dumb.

And Half-Life takes place in 2005, but was produced in 1998-1998.

I agree, the gameplay SOO made up for it. Suspention of disbelief I guess.

Really, the only one I agree is a semi-big thing is the HEV suit running/air/flashlight thing. Cause that shit is just weird.

Wow what a coincidence, the one thing they actually repair in Episode 2, how ballsy of you to take that position.:D

I agree with a lot of the points made here, but i would add that it is more of a glaring error because the game is so conceptually brilliant, probably the best game story and setting i have ever seen. This makes their lack of effort on the basics that much more annoying.

And the city of Rapstah, errrr, Rapture(quit it with the name game) is not that deep under water, maybe 20 floors to the midway point of the buildings which is in the good area

Cant see why using the oxygen takes batteries, unless it pulls the oxygen out of the water, which is cool

I think the city is pretty deep underwater...

...VERY DEEP...

I agree with a lot of the points made here, but i would add that it is more of a glaring error because the game is so conceptually brilliant, probably the best game story and setting i have ever seen. This makes their lack of effort on the basics that much more annoying.

You clearly did not read the thread. Your sig is a load of shit, too. ^^

The tops of the Rapture buildings are fifty fathoms underwater.

The grenades in HL1 were not a problem, since 9 times out of 10 the marines would throw them into their own shoe.

In Half-Life one you could almost always see them throwing the things in the first place, because the soldiers were almost always. In HL2 soldiers attack from different angles and elevation alot more so you won't always see them throwing the grenades. You also fight some of them in areas that are darker than those you would have fought them in in HL1 (eg, Entanglement underground tunnel).

Actually the grenades in HL1 were not a problem because:

1.Most of the game(with the marines in it) was well lit.

2.The grenades flew very slow when thrown.

3.They're just so damn big you can't miss them.

I think the city is pretty deep underwater...

...VERY DEEP...

Got done playing it and saw the markings on the elevator clearly, only had a low res video of the demo to go on before and it looked like it said floors not fathoms, but it is deep.

That game was win, simply amazing

It does extract breathable oxygen from the water.

Than it would be better if it lasted longer. That could be one of the most valuable parts of the suit if they had it operate for a useful amount

It probably could if you re-routed the main power supply from the armour (Where most of the power seems to be) or added a large power-pack to the suit.

It'd probably be more useful if the suit didn't use one battery for everything.

Actually, I'd say the cone-of-fire thing was the only legitimate grip the guy had. It's pretty much the only thing that really annoyed me in HL1 (charge at marine; fire entire clip; reload; find medkit; repaeat), and they didn't even think to fix it for HL2.

It affects gameplay, like he said. You just waste ammo firing at something far away from you waiting for one of your shots to hit.

Not that anyone needs it, but here's a primer on recoil and accuracy:

The recoil from a round leaving the barrel moves the muzzle away from the point originally aimed at. Firing several rounds in quick succession (e.g. full-automatic) creates a cumulative recoil effect that makes each successive shot less likely to hit your original target (think the expanding reticule in CS or, even better, the realistic muzzle-rise modeled in DoD). So, yes, overall a full-auto assault rifle is less accurate at long range than, say, a semi-auto sniper rifle. HOWEVER: the main factor affecting the accuracy of the first round fired is the length of the barrel, so short bursts from an assault rifle are going to be more accurate than anything fired from a pistol. SO, the optimum mid-long range weapon should have been the pulse rifle, with the SMG better for close-quarters room clearing (higher rate of fire), and the crossbow for extreme range sniping. Instead I have to "spray-and-pray" wither the OSI or the SMG, which kind of makes one of them redundant.

An ex-military acquaintance recently explained "Kentucky Windage" to me, and ever since I've been disappointed that lazy ballistics modeling doesn't let me use it in most FPS games.

Get on that, Valve.

I find the OSIPR much more accurate then the SMG. As long as you shoot in short controlled bursts like your enemies, you should have little difficulty. It gets very inaccurate with prolonged fire, so just make sure you don't empty your clip all at once, 5 or 6 individual bursts are optimal, as far as I can tell.

Actually, I'd say the cone-of-fire thing was the only legitimate grip the guy had. It's pretty much the only thing that really annoyed me in HL1 (charge at marine; fire entire clip; reload; find medkit; repaeat), and they didn't even think to fix it for HL2.

It affects gameplay, like he said. You just waste ammo firing at something far away from you waiting for one of your shots to hit.

Not that anyone needs it, but here's a primer on recoil and accuracy:

The recoil from a round leaving the barrel moves the muzzle away from the point originally aimed at. Firing several rounds in quick succession (e.g. full-automatic) creates a cumulative recoil effect that makes each successive shot less likely to hit your original target (think the expanding reticule in CS or, even better, the realistic muzzle-rise modeled in DoD). So, yes, overall a full-auto assault rifle is less accurate at long range than, say, a semi-auto sniper rifle. HOWEVER: the main factor affecting the accuracy of the first round fired is the length of the barrel, so short bursts from an assault rifle are going to be more accurate than anything fired from a pistol. SO, the optimum mid-long range weapon should have been the pulse rifle, with the SMG better for close-quarters room clearing (higher rate of fire), and the crossbow for extreme range sniping. Instead I have to "spray-and-pray" wither the OSI or the SMG, which kind of makes one of them redundant.

An ex-military acquaintance recently explained "Kentucky Windage" to me, and ever since I've been disappointed that lazy ballistics modeling doesn't let me use it in most FPS games.

Get on that, Valve.

Having fired full-auto weapons before (MP5, M4), I can say that they did a pretty good job with the dispersion of fire in prolonged bursts. The SMG could be more accurate with short bursts, but other than that it was fine.

I find the OSIPR much more accurate then the SMG. As long as you shoot in short controlled bursts like your enemies, you should have little difficulty. It gets very inaccurate with prolonged fire, so just make sure you don't empty your clip all at once, 5 or 6 individual bursts are optimal, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, the Pulse rifle is awesome on accuracy if you just calm down with your trigger finger.

It is definately my preferred weapon for sniping (Other than the crossbow of course) Very accurate if you fire conservitavely. I find it a better choice than the pistol honestly, which becomes obselete pretty quick in my books.

I pretty much stopped using the pistol once I got a good supply of SMG ammo going.

HL2 is not set in eastern europe. They have just taken that art direction, one LIKE 'a suppressed eastern europe'.

So talking about guns not being available in different parts of the world makes no difference at all, theres also no place in eastern europe called city 17! :p (I think :O)

I like that it is in Eastern Europe. You don't see that region that often!

I read an article somewhere that stated that the forests would have the forests modeled after Estonian forests.
That's where I live, it fits in with the concept quite well, as it is, I think, the northern most country of Eastern Europe.

Not including Russia, that thing is ****ing huge.

Russia is a space-continent.

It has to be huge.

Back