Thinking of overclocking my card

spitcodfry

Reaction score
I have an All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro and want to overclock it, but don't know jack about the precautions and dangers involved. I know that I can tweak my settings using ATI control center, but is that the best way to overcock? Do I need additional cooling? My current power supply is 300 w, which is the minimum required for the card. Any and all info would be appreciated on how I can overclock successfully.

If you have some good fans, than go for it. Only go like 5-10Mhz at a time.

Though, friend we are talking about a 9800pro....YOU DONT NEED TO.

I have a 9800pro and i get like...75-200+fps in all my games...

The stock drivers will not do overclocking, you will need to get something like the rage3d tweak, and you would overclock core/mem a little bit at a time and test stability (run 3dMark 03, for instance, and watch for artifacts, or other graphical problems)...But, in any case, why in god's name are you overclocking what is already the fastest card out there? The risk of it dying aren't large, but it is still there...I wouldn't do it until games force you to as far as performance.

Originally posted by Ridic
If you have some good fans, than go for it. Only go like 5-10Mhz at a time.

Though, friend we are talking about a 9800pro....YOU DONT NEED TO.

I have a 9800pro and i get like...75-200+fps in all my games...

Well I have an Athlon XP 1700, which sort of acts as a bottleneck in some respects. Don't get me wrong, there hasn't been a game yet that I've been disappointed with in terms of performance with it, I just want to get all that I can out of it. A short while ago there was a thread about a benchmark program that ran high range dynamic lighting in real time...and I got between 30-40 fps in windowed, 640x480 mode. One guy posted shots that he ran off an overclocked 9800 Pro and his fps was like 110!

yes and im sure that he had a > 3 Ghz system. upgrade your cpu and u will find a new world that awaits u.

I'd try OC'ing the CPU instead.

It's re-goddamn-diculous to OC a 9800 Pro right now.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Well I have an Athlon XP 1700, which sort of acts as a bottleneck in some respects. Don't get me wrong, there hasn't been a game yet that I've been disappointed with in terms of performance with it, I just want to get all that I can out of it. A short while ago there was a thread about a benchmark program that ran high range dynamic lighting in real time...and I got between 30-40 fps in windowed, 640x480 mode. One guy posted shots that he ran off an overclocked 9800 Pro and his fps was like 110!

Well, if the CPU is a bottleneck then for sure OCing the card wont help. But anyways the 1700+ is an excellent OCer, its like the 2.4c. You can get that pretty damn far im sure, so id try that.

How would you go about ocing a processor? (I'm a complete n00b when it comes to ocing)

Originally posted by Sushi
How would you go about ocing a processor? (I'm a complete n00b when it comes to ocing)
Start here
Then if you need a step-by-step go here
If thats to much for ya then go back to the OC fourms and read anything and everything about similar systems....

Its fun, but it can bite you in the arse if your not wise. gl

fRAg'n j00 ALL soon...

Back