This HAS to be said regarding TF2 and CS2!

[Matt]

Reaction score
I get the sense from reading several comments in these forums and what several people are saying in IRC that there are still some of you out there who believe that both Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike 2 will be free modifications to be given away once half-Life 2 is released. This will NOT be the case!!! Both games will be standalone games that you will HAVE to buy at your local game store, or by purchasing the game through Valve's steam platform. You can already pre-order Team Fortress 2 on several sites. What valve has in store for HL2 multiplayer only they themselves know but it certainly WONT be TF2 Valve have ALWAYS intended for TF2 to be a standalone game going back as far as when Valve purchased the rights to the original TF quake modification so they could release a sequel to it.

Neither will Counter-Strike 2 be a free modification. The financial opportunity that valve has in releasing a sequel to the most played online game ever is simply too good to miss! Half-Life 2 will sell by the truckload. But Counter-Strike 2 will sell outsell Half-Life 2 by a considerable margin and make Valve one hell of a rich company so why give it away for free!?

Just getting this off my chest! :)

I remember being excited for TF2 release in 1998 and pre-ordering it....I have since lost all hope and crawled into the fetal position where i remain to this day

Anyway, I dont know about the people you speak of but it seemed pretty common knowledge to me.

i did no know this issue was in argument, but this is true tehy will be sold separetly, wish we could have em for free(like counteristrike and dod) but hey if i have to buy them then i will

glad to see some people know the truth but im getting the messege across to those who stil insist they will be free...

!!??!

I have never had the pleasure of talking with someone who INSISTED they were free. But then again you dont meet many people while in the fetal position.

Originally posted by |MaTT|
I get the sense from reading several comments in these forums and what several people are saying in IRC that there are still some of you out there who believe that both Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike 2 will be free modifications to be given away once half-Life 2 is released. This will NOT be the case!!! Both games will be standalone games that you will HAVE to buy at your local game store, or by purchasing the game through Valve's steam platform. You can already pre-order Team Fortress 2 on several sites. What valve has in store for HL2 multiplayer only they themselves know but it certainly WONT be TF2 Valve have ALWAYS intended for TF2 to be a standalone game going back as far as when Valve purchased the rights to the original TF quake modification so they could release a sequel to it.

Neither will Counter-Strike 2 be a free modification. The financial opportunity that valve has in releasing a sequel to the most played online game ever is simply too good to miss! Half-Life 2 will sell by the truckload. But Counter-Strike 2 will sell outsell Half-Life 2 by a considerable margin and make Valve one hell of a rich company so why give it away for free!?

Just getting this off my chest! :)

dude, what the **** do you know. First off, HL2 itself will sell so much copies they could make themselves a new ****ing company division off of that. Half-Life 1 was famous for it's mods. And the only reason CS was so popular is cuz it was free. No one would ever pay for that shit. Few did only to buy it along with HL itself that they didnt have. You arent thinking straight. It's like this. Half-Life 1 only survived this long and was this successful because of it's mods. If CS2 and TF2 isn't released as mods for HL2, HL2 will die out because the best mods will be stand-alone. They will promote stand-alones, while leaving HL2 to die out. They will NEED CS2 and TF2 as mods to keep HL2 alive for as long as HL1 was.

The could be commercial mods, a'la Opposing Force.

Thugstein, TF2 isnt going to be released for HL2 for free, tons of people have had it preordered for like 4 years now. They have planned to release it as a stand-alone game after they were in development because originally it was going to become a mod but then the thing became very deep so they decided to release it as a retail product. And if you dont get his reasoning behind CS2 then you are a moron. That would be the mother-load of cash. I mean if i was teh head of Valve and had control over CS2, i sure as hell wouldn't be releasing the sequel to the most played multiplayer game (yeah and not jus that, it has like more people playing it then all other mp games combined) for free. It wont happen unless they are really whacked out of there head. And how the hell do you know who many people have bought CS and have bought HL for CS? I know tons of people who play CS and dont even know what HL is! So i have no idea where you pulled that from. Possibly the ass.

Back