Thoughts: Half-Life 3 Won't Come Out?

HalidYusein

Headcrab
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Everything in this article is its author’s speculation. This is only my opinion – nothing more, nothing less.

Half-Life 3, or Half-Life 2: Episode Three, is the ultimate joke when it comes to games stuck in development hell. People from all over the world have been expecting Valves vapourware to be released since its announcement in 2006. It has been delayed multiple times and today we are not even sure if it exists.

It was supposed to end Half-Life 2′s episodic trilogy, but now, six years later it has a very sensitive fan-base, whose reaction to the slightest suggestion of the games alleged existence raises huge amounts of controversy.

Throttle
Valve, like every other developer, over the years of its existence, has delayed games from its catalogue. In fact several times, which is completely acceptable, and one of them is Team Fortress 2. It was supposed to come out well before HL2 (2004), but for various reasons, some obvious and some less so, it came after it – 2007.

One obvious reason for the delay of TF2 and other games from Valve is, I’m assuming, the leak of Half-Life 2 in 2003. But if we want to answer why TF2 was delayed for so long, just like HL3 now, we have to look at Valves internal development system, which is quite different, compared to other companies.

People at Valve are, if you like, communists: they decide together what to do, when to do and how to do it. This method of production gives power to everybody, which means that good ideas are encouraged and bad ones are abandoned. Employees develop ideas and pitch them to their colleagues.

More manpower means faster development for the given project and perhaps with Team Fortress 2 we’ve seen what happens when the lead designers of a particular game do other stuff. While people were expecting TF2, its main creators were trying to achieve different objectives with Half-Life 2: EpOne, Steam itself and Gabe knows what else.

Perhaps this is exactly what is going on with Half-Life 3 – Valve is working on other projects. A few years ago there were rumours that they were getting into hardware too (after being renowned as “the saints of the PC platform” by their fans), and today Valve is actually charging ahead with their OS, Controller and Machines.

This clearly shows us that they are much more than a software company now. Judging by Valve’s recent history, they release one game per year. So, is it fair to expect HL3 in the coming year or two? The answer, of course, depends on what stage in development the game is.

Vapour
The biggest question I have about Half-Life 3 is its state. Is it still in design stage? Did it ever get to some sort of alpha? Because the secrecy surrounding its existence creates unnecessary and unhealthy anxiety. I hope that one day it will be released. But I’m afraid it won’t be what we are all hoping for, which I will talk about later.

And what do we want? A next-gen (PC side), Source 2 FPS with amazing gameplay, which concludes the story started in Half-Life 2, but does not end the interesting universe the franchise is set in. The problem is that we want too much, we want the long wait to pay off. Which may lead to a big disappointment, of the level of Duke Nukem Forever. Many of you would disagree with me, because the comparison of the two games to you is perhaps unfair, but do you actually know what HL3 is? Last time I checked it was a phantom wet dream of nostalgic people. Contrary to that, we actually do exactly know what DNF is: garbage, a sunken ship, which was only made to fulfill the desire of a long-forgotten promise, in a bad way.

This is exactly what happened with Battlefield 3 in 2011 too. It was supposed to be a sequel to the (arguably) best of DICE’s MMFPS series – Battlefield 2. And that hope was shattered like a mirror, dropped from the roof of Eiffel Tower. The veterans of the series wanted something very simple: an improved Battlefield 2 with the Frostbite engine. The same game, revamped for the current technology, similar to HL’s fans. But DICE failed to live up to this simple promise.

In these three cases nostalgia is an issue and it should be handled with caution. Publishers and developers should let people know exactly what they are offering, otherwise demands exceed the delivery and everything crumbles down.

Origin
For the longest time people’s hopes have been supported by their belief that Valve is smart and can deliver on the promise of a kick-ass sequel to the beloved Half-Life 2.

But can they? If they knew what to do, they would’ve given us something already. It has been so long now, that all the silence at this point means that they don’t care. I think they’ve chosen the easy path, which is not to try, because trying is very risky. Over the years Valve has developed only a handful of games. Their biggest and most expansive singleplayer franchise to date is indeed Half-Life. And the high expectations and constant pressure of the audience is very challenging to deal with, to say the least.

So many fan based campaigns have been done in the name of getting answers, but the only reaction people have gotten is the lack of any, really. Up to this point Valve’s franchise management process is something on these lines: They either have a concept for a cool and fun game, they develop what I call a “proof of success” and release it. OR they flesh out a mod, developed with their Source Engine.

These are short games, demoes for potential, fully featured and AAA quality games. If people like it, they develop a more sophisticated sequel to it. That’s what happened with Portal for example: the first game was definite proof that people wanted more and Valve delivered.

You might say that Counter-Strike doesn’t hold up to this theory, but hear me out. The first CS (1.6) was more of a robust version of what became CS: Source. And today we have Counter-Strike: Global Offensive – an excellent sequel.

Looking back, Half-Life 1 is something of a starting point for Valve, the further development of the franchise and its expansions helping fuel the fan’s hunger for more. HL2 was exactly the next gen sequel (at that time), the franchise needed.

Unfortunately, it was never finished, even with its small episodic continuations. Earlier in the article I played the blame game, but that doesn’t change the fact that there is more to this story, which we have no control over – Valve itself.

Charmless tree
This leads me to the conclusion that sometime in the future we will see the end of Gordon Freeman’s story, but as I said before, it probably won’t be the way we are imagining it to be: a sequel in the form of a video game.

My speculation is that Valve is probably going to the end the story in one way or another. They might explain it in some other franchise or just release a short novel, which will, hopefully, fulfill the need.

Or perhaps they will manage to live up to the expectations of delivering after so long. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter. It is pointless to make a fuss about a game we know nothing about, when there are a dozen others we can enjoy.

My theory is that the United Nations won't allow Valve to release Half-Life 3 because the mere possibility of its existence is keeping the population of a small third world country alive on link baiting headlines alone. An actual release would kill their ad revenue, send them hurtling back into starving poverty, and be classified as a crime against human decency.

Either that or they just find it really difficult to work on a game when their desks are sliding around on a pile of money so large it makes Smaug's lair look like a bowl of soggy peanuts, and Gabe Newell keeps swimming past shouting at people to call him Scrooge McDuck or they are fired.

I didnt read the whole thing, actually just the first part. But I really dont understand how people can think stuff like this...

Half-Life 2 came out 2004, 6 years after Half-Life 1. It was exactly the same, they didnt said anything about the game and then suddenly revealed it. Half-Life 3 is obviously supposed to be better than Half-Life 2, so they take their time. And episode 3 is canceled, thats a fact.

My theory is that the United Nations won't allow Valve to release Half-Life 3 because the mere possibility of its existence is keeping the population of a small third world country alive on link baiting headlines alone. An actual release would kill their ad revenue, send them hurtling back into starving poverty, and be classified as a crime against human decency.

Either that or they just find it really difficult to work on a game when their desks are sliding around on a pile of money so large it makes Smaug's lair look like a bowl of soggy peanuts, and Gabe Newell keeps swimming past shouting at people to call him Scrooge McDuck or they are fired.

Hmmmmmm. Seems legit.

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/gabe-newell-weve-moved-beyond-the-episodic-model.177430/
and although the shortened development cycles of the episodic model seemed initially better for the Half-life series, it isn't going to be sticking around.
It seems like we should start thinking about a Half-life 3 rather than an episode 3 from now on?

also: "games stuck in development hell"? Really? You dont know if its stuck in something, they just dont talk about it... And only because they dont talk about it, doesnt mean they dont work on it.

I didnt read the whole thing, actually just the first part. But I really dont understand how people can think stuff like this...

Half-Life 2 came out 2004, 6 years after Half-Life 1. It was exactly the same, they didnt said anything about the game and then suddenly revealed it. Half-Life 3 is obviously supposed to be better than Half-Life 2, so they take their time. And episode 3 is canceled, thats a fact.

I think Valve said they aren't working on 6+ year long projects anymore, or how they put it "we were dumb then" to waste money and resources on those types.

http://www.develop-online.net/interview/valve-on-source-and-studio-culture/0117030

I didnt read the whole thing, but that doesnt mean that thats now the strategy for all their games. Half-Life 3 is in development, that is almost 100% sure (all the leaks in the past, small hints by Gabe) and obviously it takes longer than 6 years.
Also in my source Gabe is talking, and his words have obviously more ... uh weight ...

I think Valve said they aren't working on 6+ year long projects anymore, or how they put it "we were dumb then" to waste money and resources on those types.

Don't pull quotes out of context. The actual quote from the article:

RW: "I think the thing is, Half-Life 2 didn’t really take us five years. It took us two and a half years, and another two and a half not really knowing what the hell we were doing."

EJ: "We were dumb then."

Put simply - "We know we spent too much time ****ing around while making Half-Life 2, we won't make those mistakes again." (See the Half-Life 2 Beta and how much content was cut)

Portal 2 was made in three years, and it's my personal favourite Valve title to date. If we're going to bring in what we know about Half-Life 3, it's been in development for about as long thus far, since we have reason to believe development started in 2011.

yeah thats SpotEnemyBoats. Always exxagerating and saying negative about Valve whereever he can

Don't pull quotes out of context. The actual quote from the article:

I didn't.

Put simply - "We know we spent too much time ****ing around while making Half-Life 2, we won't make those mistakes again." (See the Half-Life 2 Beta and how much content was cut)

Portal 2 was made in three years, and it's my personal favourite Valve title to date. If we're going to bring in what we know about Half-Life 3, it's been in development for about as long thus far, since we have reason to believe development started in 2011.

3 years is hardly the development hell that HL2 or TF2 had, and that was a different Valve then. Source 2's development (tom leonard's profile) started 2011, but that says nothing on when HL3 development started. "we were dumb then" probably means they don't waste time like they used to, they are more efficient. In fact since they've grown as a company since 2004, they can work quicker on certain projects.

I doubt it's been in development the last 6 years, because what the actual **** has the HL team been doing since then? Hanging out at the snack bar? yeahhh

portal 1 was better

first you say they dont work on so long projects anymore. Then you say that HL3 could be longer in development than 2011. Then you say Valve is bigger than in HL2 times. Then you say "what he actual **** has the HL team been doing".
Well. Valve is bigger, lets say 300 people. Do all these 300 people work on HL3? no. How do I know that? L4D1, L4D2, Portal 2, CSGO, Dota 2, Source 2, SteamOS, Steam, the Hardware team and more

so that means the HL3 team could be really small (as we have seen in the leaks) which means it could be about the same size, or even smaller than HL2´s team, so its the same thing. And they dont have to rush anything. When they worked on Half-Life 2, they had nothing else, but the Addons, so they couldnt take as much time as they wanted. But for HL3 they can experiment until they find the best way, cause there is enough other games and money. And btw we know almost nothing about HL3 so discussing stuff like this is pointless imo. Its only gives the mad Half-Life fans, who cant wait anymore (like me), an opportunity to talk about it.

What I also wanted to point is that you are like jumping around all the time with your statements, like posting always the opposite of what the other people say.

first you say they dont work on so long projects anymore. Then you say that HL3 could be longer in development than 2011. Then you say Valve is bigger than in HL2 times. Then you say "what he actual **** has the HL team been doing".

I did say that they likely don't work on 6+ year projects, also I was talking about Source 2 in regards to 2011 not HL3.

Well. Valve is bigger, lets say 300 people. Do all these 300 people work on HL3? no. How do I know that? L4D1, L4D2, Portal 2, CSGO, Dota 2, Source 2, SteamOS, Steam, the Hardware team and more

this just in, valve does more than game development in 2014, stop the presses!

so that means the HL3 team could be really small (as we have seen in the leaks) which means it could be about the same size, or even smaller than HL2´s team, so its the same thing. And they dont have to rush anything. When they worked on Half-Life 2, they had nothing else, but the Addons, so they couldnt take as much time as they wanted. But for HL3 they can experiment until they find the best way, cause there is enough other games and money. And btw we know almost nothing about HL3 so discussing stuff like this is pointless imo. Its only gives the mad Half-Life fans, who cant wait anymore (like me), an opportunity to talk about it.

That seems like alot of speculation, at this point HL3 is nothing more than a meme or something the internet jokes about. Even Gabe joked about it on reddit, Half-Life is the joke.

Also long development is not guarentee of a game being better, after all Aliens Colonial Marines, DNF, Diablo 3 and others all say hello.

What I also wanted to point is that you are like jumping around all the time with your statements, like posting always the opposite of what the other people say.

So I should join in the circle jerk?

Half-Life 3 may not come out, but Half-Life as a games franchise is far from over. It's a valuable IP. It's an invaluable IP. We'll see it again within the next few years.

That seems like alot of speculation, at this point HL3 is nothing more than a meme or something the internet jokes about.

No, it's actually a game which is in development.

Well, we don't actually know the title or working title. We just know that there's a Half-Life related title being made. The Jira leak just specifies very generic task force names that are quite obviously subject to change.

No, it's actually a game which is in development.

It could just be some experiments with Source 2 before they make a game to ship with.

Just remember with not announcing it they are not obliged to release a sequel, after all Gabe said in the Nerdist podcast the series is perfect as it is.

Just remember with not announcing it they are not obliged to release a sequel, after all Gabe said in the Nerdist podcast the series is perfect as it is.

I never said they are obliged to make a sequel, I actually feel like Half-Life 3 should probably be the last in the series. I also believe Portal 2 should be the last in the Portal series to avoid milking the concept while stretching it to its absolute limits.

Just remember there is also no evidence at all to suggest Half-Life 3 is the Source 2 testbed, unlike there is for Left 4 Dead 3.

hi all,

i predict valve are working towards it with source 2 with the enhanced UGC that we can expect, to allow the community to make up their own endings to the half life story. It really is one of those stories that was soo hyped on the ending will be unimaginably great and that has only sat there in our minds to how it will end due its years of media black out over it. So with that impossibly hard to predict ending having to get out there.

We can expect at least a few things that have come straight from gabe:

*Source 2 will provide a bigger sandbox, that sandbox inturn will have more going on in terms of scale

*Motion capture (wasnt exactly confirmed by valve but its definitely something you can expect)

*Virtaul Reality headsets, the date for consumer ready hardware will be available sometime in 2015, but i guess we just have to
wait on Oculus Rift to deliver the goods...so then valve can intergrate that into the latest games. Which will take some time.

* Source 2 again will have a enhanced notion of User Generated Content that i suppose will be more streamlined and easier for anyone to make stuff than ever before.

*This is generally the behavior of valve today, to give us all the tools make it user friendly watch for feedback on how people respond it all, adjust, tweaking this n there. When they got something good enough they release content that is pretty much made by community members that r good at animation n design etc n distribute it on steam.

Hence Half Life 3 n most likely future titles, but for now just hl3 n then see how that works. half life 3 will be crowd sourced. N with barriers like Story/voice actors/composed music, i reckon they get around that by getting voice actors to record alot more, over n over, every tedious thing. composed music whos to say gamers got their own ideas bout wat music they want played, again recording just record it all into shorter lengths, sound mix it up gamers! story......hmmm well im sure there is some gamers out there with their own story telling ideas, let them go nuts! implement their own gaming experience, at least ones that are voted as the best on workshop. wish they test this idea out already with something really small or with a 3rd party to see wat can result as good n bad.

Be a very good idea if they did a competition for the 10 best endings, offering a prize pool. But for now we wait, Johnathan Ross heard this one great qoute from gabe, in the uk receiving his bafta,
Ross: "What i admire about you and others admire about valve generally, is the fact you wont release the game. Even though people get frustrated and get desperate for the new game and lets face we have waited a long time for Half Life 3. Its ready when its ready. And said (gabe replied) "yeah but you know LATE is for a little while, terrible is for LIFE". And that's true ross replied.

N i know what you thinking, well we want first their take on the ending. Ok sure n they will deliver on that, but not until alot of stuff has been sorted......n valve are extremely busy atm with saving pc gaming from not advancing into the living room. esp for free....if steamOS takes over windows they will have everyone bow to them, even though valve are not charging for it n everything on it will sold via steam (software) what a way to dominate your own operating system

that was an actaul qoute n whats funny is gabe said he said, LATE - LIFE lol gabe is a very smart n funny at dropping these nuggets of gold qoutes.

Anything relating to Half-Life 3/Half-Life 2 Episode 3 is ignored by Valve entirely. Maybe someone will create a community made Half-Life 3, maybe using CryEngine3? I mean it's reasonable so people can enjoy something that's Half-Life related.

"This isn't working." No. No it's not, Gabe. The world wants Half-Life 3 and all you're doing is working on Source 2.0 or something.

I am not sure I would trust anyone else to make HL3. You seem to really love the cryengine.

I am not sure I would trust anyone else to make HL3. You seem to really love the cryengine.
Eh. I've just always wanted to make something on it. Never could actually use it is why it seems like that. I mean, it's a good engine for graphical content.

It would be ludicrously stupid if Valve does not make Half-Life 3. So much $$$ for them to earn.

tl:dr summary anyone?

As you wish.

OP thinks that HL3 will never come out, or be a huge dissapointment, because of these reasons:
It's used as an ultimate joke.
Skepticism about the games development, due to how Valve have been focusing on other things.
Dissapointment of other sequels, have happened a lot of times before (i.e BF3)
If Valve could make HL3 better than ever, they could have done it now. If they knew what to do, they would’ve given us something already.

People response with: Valve is propably focusing on the Source 2 engine more.
The game is propably under development, as it is an important IP for the company.
Valve is trying to make the community help in the production of Half-Life 3, using Source 2.
The game is taking so long, because of how small the HL3 dev team is, due to balancing in all the other parts of the company.

Also, I might have misread something? Anyone disagree, then go ahead and sue me or something.

You know, this reminds me an awful lot of my time spent on the Bethesda forums between late 2008 and late 2010 (because that was where I spent all of my time during those years). People grasp at straws when there are very few or none to grasp at, people despair with the lack of information and claim that the game will never be announced, and if even it is announced, it will be a crash and burn failure because everyone will be disappointed.

And then hey-ho, the company announces the game, and everyone soon forgets the time they spent on the forums arguing about whether the game would ever get announced or not.

Just throwing in my two bits here, but I rather think that Valve will release Half-Life 3, just not anytime soon. At a guess, I'd say that the company is currently holding the game in a post-production stasis until they wrap up some of their other projects, namely Source 2 and the Steam Machine. When those projects are complete, then we may see something more on the Half-Life front.

Also, given the large following the game still has, even if it turns out to be a total flop, it will be a lucrative flop.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and wake up tomorrow to find a shiny new HALF-LIFE 3 gracing the front of the Steam store. *Sigh* If only...

I've just realized that coming November HL2 will be 10 years old...It's a bit sad. Not that I think having sequels non-stop is a good thing, quite the contrary, but this is just taking forever...I smell another Duke Nukem Forever Flop if/when it comes out.

if you keep saying "HL3 will come out next year !!" some day you will be right

May I ask why do you think that?
The end of 2014 / start of 2015 appears to be when of a number of different Valve projects concluding. The Steam Machine is set for public release, our best guess for Source II is placed around that time, and SteamOS is... doing stuff. I think it would make sense for HL3 to release some time after those, acting as a way to sell the idea of Source 2 and at least one of the other projects I mentioned.

The end of 2014 / start of 2015 appears to be when of a number of different Valve projects concluding. The Steam Machine is set for public release, our best guess for Source II is placed around that time, and SteamOS is... doing stuff. I think it would make sense for HL3 to release some time after those, acting as a way to sell the idea of Source 2 and at least one of the other projects I mentioned.

Makes sense, thanks for the insight.

Back