Three New Half-Life 2 Articles and Screenshots

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our friends over at PlanetHalfLife have just posted three new articles about Half-Life 2[br]
[br]
The first and second articles have come about from PHL's very own Steve "halflife_84" Saunders' trip to Valve Software a few weeks ago. These include a Q & A session with Valve, and a hands-on Counter-Strike: Source preview.[br]
[br]
The final article contains a myriad of new screenshots that were demonstrated at the Siggraph conference in Los Angeles by Valve's art director Viktor Antonov. [br]<span align="center"></span>[br]All of the articles and screenshots are worth a look.[br]
[br]
PHL Readers Half-Life 2 Q & A[br]
Counter-Strike: Source Hands-On[br]
Viktor Antonov at Siggraph

Very nice screenshots. I doubt they'll look like that as good as that ingame though

Punzz said:
Very nice screenshots. I doubt they'll look like that as good as that ingame though

Why ? Do you mean you require the latest x800xt card in order to get the quality in these pics ?

ye probably and the highest AA on which not a lot of us can use.

wow, those screenshots look great.

Some people were saying how Source doesn't look that impressive anymore, well I say boo! to that.

i hope this works with my 1500mhz Pentium & Radeon 9700 128mb

I think I need a new pair of pants! :eek:

and a X800. :O

mortiz said:
wow, those screenshots look great.

Some people were saying how Source doesn't look that impressive anymore, well I say boo! to that.
I still think it looks better than Doom 3 tbh.

/me hides

They have different styles, go in different directions.

Yeah, some of those are photos of course.
Anyway, I think that people who can run Doom 3 at high settings with 800x600 with anti-aliasing will be able to easily get these kinds of visuals (that's me :p)

I apologise for the pictures not showing correctly within the thread, but I can assure you they can be viewed by visiting www.halflife2.net and viewing the news post from there.

Thanks.

My doctor told me I'm not supposed get overly excited so I'm not allowed to looked at the screenshots.

Well it looks like Far Cry is about to be knocked out of the running for "Best looking water". HL2 is actually looking better overall to me than Doom 3 or Far Cry. This is truly gonna be a beautiful game. I cannot wait to get this going on my 6800 Ultra OC. Oh my and when SM 3.0 comes out for this one I am gonna do the happy dance.

edit: hmm sig no work?

Those screenshots from the lighthouse and the water look amazing. Oh well, I've got a lot to add to my screenshot collection :)

I would be VERY surprised if the game really ran 60% faster on ATi hardware compared to NVIDIA stuff. My 6800 Ultra OC beats the XT PE in all benchmarks D3D and OGL so if magically HL2 runs that much slower on my card with it running on the pure DX 9.0 codepath then something is wrong.

Why is every bloody game compared to FAR CRY... even Doom 3... my god im sick of hearing about that game. Far Cry blows tropical chunks compared to these classic rebirths.

The ones I have posted on the initial news post are real.

Did I crap myself? *sniff sniff* I guess I did. I knew that valve havent showed us anything yet. These screenshots prove that valve kept their graphical standard up to date

Well HL2 is alot more versatile and more depth then D3. In D3 you mainly run around in a complex of hallways and small rooms flushing monsters out. HL2 is large and open with alot of scenery and much more diverse.

Damn those screen shots look great, I have a feeling Doom 3 is going to get owned every which way.

poofyfinger said:
Why is every bloody game compared to FAR CRY... even Doom 3... my god im sick of hearing about that game. Far Cry blows tropical chunks compared to these classic rebirths.
I agree. I hated everything about Far Cry.

Ok, Im convinced

Ok valve u got me so can u please just give us Half life 2, NOW!!! ?

We have waited long enough, I want it now!.

SweetLou said:
I agree. I hated everything about Far Cry.

You're pretty dumb aren't ya, Far Cry is one of the best games to ever be released, not only that it owns Doom 3.

hey you know what would be better than interviews?

Releasing the ****ing game.

Hallucinogen said:
You're pretty dumb aren't ya, Far Cry is one of the best games to ever be released, not only that it owns Doom 3.
Dumb? I am dumb for having an opinion?

execsarcasm
I guess I could have said that I loved Far Cry's AWESOME story and fluid gameplay and spotless AI.
/endsarcasm

[opinion]Truth is that Far Cry brought nothing to the table except pretty graphics. The graphics did not change the fact that it was a glitchy unpolished tech demo.[/opinion]

just release the damn game, if people can play it and post reviews the public should be allowed to.

/commense crying

Aparently some of those pictures are actually photos, planethalflife mixed them up with the valve shots.

Those photos are probably what the level designers used for reference when making the game. That's my guess anyway.

Yeah, that's why I said "Some of those are obviously photos" in my post...

I just noticed on the second pic theres bricks on the ceiling, that must of been hard to build :dork:

The half-life ones have a half-life logo on them, the real ones don't.

*smack* :rolleyes:

Back