Time to get ATI 9800

X

xXSMGXx

Okie dokie, so today i am going to buy Radieon9800pro, i finally got the money needed and im gona do it today, i cant go with fx5900 because its not available here in Toronto yet so im just gona go with 9800pro. Any last things for me to know, like dont go becuase of that and this... ? Anyone ?

lol ok. good luck with it man. ill be gettin mine (along with a whole new rig) sometime next week.

I hope it wont be a BIG mistake in my life switching to ATI..because i heard all the incompatibility issues which put me thinking...what could happen is i could get the card and then be like why why didnt i go with Nvidia..oh why lol

why not get a 9600/9700 pro, and use some of the money saved for a new processor?

Yea man, if your going to upgrade to a top end video card, you might as well get a whole new rig.

But don't get the 9600. It's not even as good as the 9500. 9700 Pro is still quite a nice piece of kit, but here there's only about $/€20 difference to the 9800 Pro. My 8500 is only 1.5 years old so I don't figure on upgrading until the next gpu generation.

I know the 9500 pro is better, but i cant find one (in the UK) very easily/cheaply

Maybe you should wait till 30 september and then buy a gfx card...

In almost any cause, the price will be cheaper and maybe there is even a better gfx card on the market in that time...

Originally posted by sharp
Maybe you should wait till 30 september and then buy a gfx card...

In almost any cause, the price will be cheaper and maybe there is even a better gfx card on the market in that time...
´

Im with sharp on this one you should wait..

I've noticed alot of 9800s going on sale, I guess it is a pretty good time to get it. I'm still waiting 'till Sept. though :)

Hehe..just came back home..with my new card

1) Installation was pretty easy ,not hard and easy to install drivers.
2) I went with the software on the cd and drivers too, i will get latest drivers a bit later
3) Currently testing performance in Morrowind and i am amazed, much more fps now and stunning water effects
----------
Right now im gona test it in 3dmark03 and then CS1.6 compatibility and later on Diablo2 Compatibility and then Codecreatures so stay tuned..i will post updates
:bounce:

only new Radeon is good.
the 8000 series: sucked
the 7000 series: sucked
the Rage card: sucked.

however, their 9000 series is fianlly doing good...

hey now, the 8000 series sucked no more than the Geforce FX line up, oh...wait, nevermind.

i bought a 9700 and a 2500 AMD barton for $360.00 , If i bought the 9800 when it came out it would have cost me $421.00 just for the v card. I'm very happy with the 9700.

the 8000 series: sucked

Haha, my brother bought a 8500 LE when it first came out. How dumb is that?

hey now, the 8000 series sucked no more than the Geforce FX line up, oh...wait, nevermind.

True, the FX has been abysmal up until the 5900, and I still think I'm opting for the Radeon 9800 Pro for my new computer.

Go with the 9800. I'm also getting it. It's the best card out atm.

I'm buying myself a new comp (from scrap, wich means a new chassi and everything else) sometime next month for about...hmm.I would guess it is around $500-600 and save some for a new video card in August.

See sig. :cool:

/me feels like a loser for having his specs in his sig...cries

you guys shouldn't buy a 9800 now because there are no good games coming out right now. Wait till the fall when hl2 and condition-zero come out (along with a s***load of other great games). nvidia and ati will prolly come out with better cards by then, or if not then the 9800 pro/fx5900 will be much cheaper. either way it's a good bet.

The only new card due to come in fall is the RV360 from ATI. But maybe they plan some more.

BTW, Condition Zero is scheduled for November.

God who will be playing that ugly condition zero when HL2 will be out and all the mods will be in development..just dont get it

Basically, the R360 will come out around the time HL2 is out (but will probably be upwards of 500$ when first released). The nextgen card, the Loki one, will we announced that fall, but probably nto available till 2004. It will have PCI express support, so you'll need a new Mobo to really take advantage of it.

Basically, there are no games out now that really require a 9800, so it doesn't make much sense to buy one right now unless you are relaly impatient. A 9700 or even the less powerful 9600 will still give you framerates and quality as good as you'd really need with current games. So my advice is to wait on the 9800 purchase until HL2 and D3 come out.

LONG LIVE RADEON 9800!!!
hehe.... that means im getting one to....
But first when HL2 comes out....
Cause right know... i only live to get HL2...
and i want my comp to run flawless............ or ill kill it...

Originally posted by Neros
LONG LIVE RADEON 9800!!!
hehe.... that means im getting one to....
But first when HL2 comes out....
Cause right know... i only live to get HL2...
and i want my comp to run flawless............ or ill kill it...

lol

9700 is best bang for buck high-end card

Originally posted by jhero
9700 is best bang for buck high-end card

especially if you watercool it or get one of those heatpipe coolers and overclock the **** out of it.

Back