Torches!

Bilko

Reaction score
Here's something pretty cool :D

I thought i'd try making a torch so that I could carry it around etc. First I made the brush to look like a torch and then set it to 'func_physbox'. I gave the torch a name of 'Torch'. I then added a 'Light_Dynamic' to the end so that the torch created light and set the parent to 'Torch'.

I then added a 'point_spotlight' for extra effect, and this is the result:

It also works on lamps etc, but I like torches the best. My torch brush isn't the best because it rolls around alot, but it's good at showing off the light. Maybe i'll make a new one later.

Screenshots:

HL2Mapping_Torch1.jpg

HL2Mapping_Torch2.jpg

Download the VMF file: Here!

put the faces of the torch into one smoothing group and that should get rid of the faceting.

Hey wait... is the light really dynamic? Does the light move around along with the torch? Does it cast shadows?

I don't think it casts shadows, HL2's lighting isn't that good unfortunately

i have done some stuff and yes there are dynamic lights. You can attach the light to a moving entity and also make the light point at something all the time if you wish. I was able to make a spotlight always point at a certain prop and make it change while moving around. Its not doom 3 dynamic, but its still way cool.

Back