Tres Leches Cake

Reaction score
I hadnt eaten this cake in years and my mom just made it for my lady's birthday. Forgot how great it was and it must be shared with you all.

This is a pretty good recipe and she just makes it slightly different. This is pretty good though too she said most will just have to adjust it to their taste.

Please remember- your elevation makes a difference as to baking temperature & time. Those in high elevation should read through the comments as it's already addressed there. Also those in Europe we use different terms here. I know you dont call cookies, car trunks, and biscuits the same things- so I dont know if cream is the same there or what so make sure you're using the same stuff.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

For the cake:
Vegetable oil
6 3/4 ounces cake flour, plus extra for pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces sugar
5 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the glaze:
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup half-and-half

For the topping:
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour a 13 by 9-inch metal pan and set aside.

Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.

Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Decrease the speed to low and with the mixer still running, gradually add the sugar over 1 minute. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl, if necessary. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix to thoroughly combine. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches and mix just until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. This will appear to be a very small amount of batter. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.

Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Poke the top of the cake all over with a skewer or fork. Allow the cake to cool completely and then prepare the glaze.

For the glaze:
Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and the half-and-half in a 1-quart measuring cup. Once combined, pour the glaze over the cake. Refrigerate the cake overnight.

Topping:
Place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk together on low until stiff peaks are formed. Change to medium speed and whisk until thick. Spread the topping over the cake and allow to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Not even just regular ol' delicious. Straight ****ing Delicious.

It is. Make sure you WEIGH your ingredients. Most recipes you can wing it proportionally, but for the texture to come out right and the milk to soak in but not 'waterlog' you need precision.

What are you having for your man's birthday?

In all honesty, that is one bland cake. Bet it tastes mighty sweet though.
...better that than rich.

What are you having for your man's birthday?

In all honesty, that is one bland cake. Bet it tastes mighty sweet though.
...better that than rich.

I'm not gay but thanks :cheers:

A lot of people use fruit. Strawberries (best choice IMO), cherries, or peaches can be used on top at your discretion.

example from google img search:

TresLechesCakesMangoGarnishImage.jpg

Jesus glaze and a whipped topping. I'd die a happy diabetic.

Sounds good. My only experience with Tres Leches was this time I tried to make some for Spanish class in high school. I had absolutely no clue what it was supposed to be like and I kept pouring the milk on (the correct amount specified), but I think it came out to be a bit of a mess.

If I try making it, it'll probably be without the whipped topping unless that part is absolutely necessary?

Also, I know you said to "weigh" the ingredients, but just to clarify -- whenever they say "ounces", does that mean weight ounces (as in 1 lb=16 oz)? It just seems more common to put ingredients by volume (as in 1 cup=8 oz), and I don't own a balance to actually weigh ingredients!

Back