Trying to play HL through Steam

symptom

Reaction score
I downloaded HL off of Steam to play the single player before HL2 comes around, and it's really pissing me off the way it's working. Every time I encounter a loading screen, HL freezes while Steam downloads whatever it is that has to be loaded. It really breaks up the game...

Does anybody know if I can get it all to download at once instead of having to download every individual area as I go along?

Originally posted by symptom
I downloaded HL off of Steam to play the single player before HL2 comes around, and it's really pissing me off the way it's working. Every time I encounter a loading screen, HL freezes while Steam downloads whatever it is that has to be loaded. It really breaks up the game...

Does anybody know if I can get it all to download at once instead of having to download every individual area as I go along?

you could like, buy it and stuff.

Good answer Xtasy0 , and in all honestly the best answer.. Steam is beta, the games it offers are free to test out their new downloading system so games stream onto your computer (honestly think they should change the name to stream, sounds better then Steam). The games you get are in an unstable state, and the least of the worries of the people behind Steam. I played all the way through HL1 again through Steam, and found it did freeze a few times and even crashed on a couple occasions, but I didn't care, it was cool replaying a great classic for free. Sure I still own HL, but I didn't want to reinstall it and then patch it :)

CS 1.6 even freezes sometimes in the middle of a lan game, but it's still beta so who cares. Wait til it's officially released and then complain about how sucky it is.. or better yet, do as Xtasy0 says, and buy HL and download all the updates for it.

I have bought it. Twice. That's not the point though...

I just don't think it's necessary for it to work this way. I think Valve just likes making simple things more complicated, no matter how silly it becomes :dozey:

I believe to play half life through steam with no interuptions you need a connection that runs faster than 800k or so... A 1Mbit connection is ideal...

Yeah, a T3 would probably rock it to the xtreme. Oh, and you'd get acused of cheating by the kids who can't afford broadband quite as good as a T3. (256kb/s and 512kb/s) *sniggers*

Back