Two Months? Seriously?

Reaction score
I've got to admit, Left 4 Dead is my number one anticipated title right now. I've seen countless in-game videos now and I just can't help but wonder: just how much is there left to fix? I'm not saying Valve should just rush it out the door, but I have been hard pressed to even see a bug in the many previews of the game.

About a month ago, when all the big-media hype started, I recalled thinking "Dude, this game is still 1/4 year away."

I think they advertised the game too early. I'm sure not everyone will agree. Since the game was announced so early, and there is so much time left, it feels like the demo won't be out for quite some time as well, even though it could already be done and bug free, simply because you don't want to release a demo two whole months before the game comes out.

Just my $.07 (Adjusted for inflation)

Agreed. Too much info/media too early. It feels like it should already be out.

I tend to agree, it is still 2 months away.

Although they could be doing a beta for those who pre-order like they did for TF2.

Holy shit I forgot this is two months away :( Too long! Ack well, I have 4 other games coming in the next few months to keep me occupied.

Every game company does this. Call of Duty 5 hasn't come out yet and 6 is already announced. It's not 2 months away as well. This month is practically done with and next month we will get to pre-order it. May even play the demo. The game has been done for a few months but it was just bug squashing then playtesting. All that is done now and I think what is holding up the release is the Gears of War 2, etc. It's all to do with financial stuff and how to get the game in your hands or on your hard drive at this point. :) Btw next week we got that French Game Convention to tease us more! :rolling: Hopefully some of those promo vids come out with the public playing Infected.

Hang on a sec hool... CoD6 hasn't been announced. It was merely mentioned in a financial call that it is in production since investors need to know this information so they know that the company has a good future. It is not an announcement of any sort.

Oh, and there is no such thing as the game being "done". ;)

Also, getting media out there early is sometimes a good thing as fan criticism can help shape the game itself (which I'm sure you can ask anyone on the L4D team and they'll tell you what got changed due to community asking for it).

Well if you don't count sleep, it's more like 1.5 months! If you take away beta/demo playing it may only be 1 month! If you take away... hmm...

Hundreds of people have play tested it Jayne, including Iced Eagle who posted in this thread. Valve have been touring with the L4D coach taking it to various countries and gaming events, I believe they are still in the middle of this tour.

The game looks finished, from the videos, but then we were looking at just the 360 version. The tour will be used not only for PR but hopefully feedback to make some adjustments for the main release. Then there's licenses & production (I heard they are changing the box art slightly).

2 months does seem like a long way off, and we've been waiting a long time, but that might be because it's the only Valve title on the horizon. I wish it would come sooner.

Ah right, fair enough.

I guess with Portal 2 and Episode 3 being very vauge everyone is anticipating this a lot more than perhaps they would if other games were also coming failry soon.

Also, is actually November, or is it October release? I've seen a couple of different dates being posted...

Quit thinking about Portal 2, if it will ever exist, it certainly won't be on the source engine.

Portal episode one, however ...

I've seen plenty of animation bugs in the videos so far, actually I don't think I've seen a single one without any oddities going on.

smoker strangle animation getting stuck when combined with edge.

hunter jump animation getting stuck on players/props

pick up animation getting stuck when player already got item.

I'd love to see these gone before release as they really break the immersion.

I've seen plenty of animation bugs in the videos so far, actually I don't think I've seen a single one without any oddities going on.

smoker strangle animation getting stuck when combined with edge.

hunter jump animation getting stuck on players/props

pick up animation getting stuck when player already got item.

I'd love to see these gone before release as they really break the immersion.

Seconded. I really hope they fix as many of these as possible. I think the thing that wowed me the most when I saw the first gameplay clips of L4D was how life-like movement the zombies had. Running in curves while slanting slightly, climbing over fences, kicking, flailing their arms... all done in extremely graceful fashion (if you can use the word graceful when describing zombies :naughty:)

Now that I watch these new movies, the few oddities that still remain really sort of strike me in the eye. When the movement animations in the game are extremely "fluent" and life-like for 90% of the time, it puts even more emphasis on the few remaining issues. Zombies climbing over stuff, survivors helping teammates up and so on all have oddities and hickups that are slight immersion breakers for me in this otherwise perfectly animated world they have managed to create. It's like they've almost/B] nailed it down, almost.

I hope they fix as much of these issues as possible, but even in its current state L4D looks amazingly fun! I don't think I've been this anxious to get my hands on a game in years.

Hang on a sec hool... CoD6 hasn't been announced. It was merely mentioned in a financial call that it is in production since investors need to know this information so they know that the company has a good future.
Good enough for me, lol.
Didn't left4dead411.com go and play test it?
Yes Squerl and Frogopus did. That is also why the site initially got famous for.
Um...

Yeah, it is.
It's not 2 months away. There is a week and a half left of September so we might as call it October. In October we will get a pre-order and the pre-loading will start (we can use gfc scape and browse through the folder as well). 20 days into November is screaming a demo at the start of the month or in October. Really just 30 days away.

It's not 2 months away. There is a week and a half left of September so we might as call it October. In October we will get a pre-order and the pre-loading will start (we can use gfc scape and browse through the folder as well). 20 days into November is screaming a demo at the start of the month or in October. Really just 30 days away.

You're just an idiot, aren't you?

11 Days of September Left

+

31 Days of October

+

20 Days of November

=

62 Days

The longest months are 31 days. So, at a minimum, it's 2 months away.

No matter how you look at it, Left 4 Dead will not go retail for two months. Deal with it.

How you think that in "30 days", ie, October 19th, is Left 4 Dead's release is beyond me.

You're just an idiot, aren't you?

11 Days of September Left

+

31 Days of October

+

20 Days of November

=

62 Days

The longest months are 31 days. So, at a minimum, it's 2 months away.

No matter how you look at it, Left 4 Dead will not go retail for two months. Deal with it.

How you think that in "30 days", ie, October 19th, is Left 4 Dead's release is beyond me.
:|....... You do realize that they must put out the files in a pre-load including that demo that was mentioned here: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17538/Valve-Confirms-Left-4-Dead-Demo/ Keep thinking it's 2 months away and wait and I'll be playing the game weeks before Nov 20th. Also as I said before if you have a job like me, a week left in a month isn't critical at all. That's like saying it's 4:59PM or it's $49.99.

What makes you think the demo will be out before the games actual release?

And what does when they do the pre-loading have anything to do with it? Half-Life 2/Episode Two/Etc had pre-loading but that doesn't mean there were a bunch of people out there playing before it was officially released.

As I've said our best chance for playing before the release date is if they do a beta for those who pre-order like they did for TF2.

I thought they mentioned that the demo was available prior to the release?

I may be wrong..

I have been hard pressed to even see a bug in the many previews of the game.

You must have sight problems. They've been peddling all the bug-filled levels and weapons with wrong animations in every preview!

You must have sight problems. They've been peddling all the bug-filled levels and weapons with wrong animations in every preview!
That's the Source engine. It's mainly a Frankenstein monster with 2004 graphics engine. They will always try and it make it look better each release and it looks great, but if look hard you can still find the flaws. Crysis for example doesn't have clipping yet again you need a super computer to play that. Still though clipping should be phased out.
What makes you think the demo will be out before the games actual release?

And what does when they do the pre-loading have anything to do with it? Half-Life 2/Episode Two/Etc had pre-loading but that doesn't mean there were a bunch of people out there playing before it was officially released.

As I've said our best chance for playing before the release date is if they do a beta for those who pre-order like they did for TF2.
No every major Valve game and even Bioshock had a pre-load. The developer has to tell Valve they want the files for a pre-load. I'm pretty sure millions of people will be playing Left 4 Dead. Also: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/900/900767p1.html
Left 4 Dead releases this November on Xbox 360 and PC and will have playable demos available on both platforms so that you can try before you buy.

Play TF2 for a month then buy Fable II, should keep you occupied until then :D

No every major Valve game and even Bioshock had a pre-load. The developer has to tell Valve they want the files for a pre-load. I'm pretty sure millions of people will be playing Left 4 Dead. Also: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/900/900767p1.html
You are missing my point, I'm sure L4D will have a pre-load but that doesn't mean you'll be "playing the game weeks before Nov 20th".

Left 4 Dead releases this November on Xbox 360 and PC and will have playable demos available on both platforms so that you can try before you buy.
Still not proof that the demo will be out before the whole game. Half-Life 2 has a demo so you can "try before you buy" but the demo itself wasn't out before HL2 was released.

:|....... You do realize that they must put out the files in a pre-load including that demo that was mentioned here: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17538/Valve-Confirms-Left-4-Dead-Demo/ Keep thinking it's 2 months away and wait and I'll be playing the game weeks before Nov 20th. Also as I said before if you have a job like me, a week left in a month isn't critical at all. That's like saying it's 4:59PM or it's $49.99.

Oh man, you really are an idiot. We're not talking about "playing the game"

I'm talking about the game "going retail".

Yes it's 2 months away going retail. I will play the game at least 2 weeks early though when I pre-order. :rolleyes: Who the **** cares about it going to retail anyways? As far as I'm concerned that when you play the full game at home, you got the game.

YAY! YOU'RE WINNING AN ARGUMENT, SO LETS CALL NAMES LIKE PRE-SCHOOLERS! :D

Grow up, plox.

I just can't wait to blow up some zombies. Valve are smart, people, this has already been proven, so I don't think they need us to point out all the bugs that are in the videos. As Secret has pointed out, (To the "idiot," hool... ;)) there's at least 2 months before it's release, so Valve obviously isn't done with the game. Knowing Valve they will need to delay it because they love us so much that they wouldn't ship a broken product to us. I'm sure all the little bugs we see will be fixed without a fuss.

And maybe that's a sign, they're all little bugs. Nothing major, just a few little glitches that need to be sorted.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with name calling so long as you are sincere and honest.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with YER FAYSE so long as you're YER FAYSE!

See what I did thar?

Yep... Me neither...

Stop arguing and talk about the topic?

Anyway, i'm not planning on playing the demo before I buy, so when its released doesnt really bother me. I've enjoyed every game released by Valve immensely.

Still not proof that the demo will be out before the whole game. Half-Life 2 has a demo so you can "try before you buy" but the demo itself wasn't out before HL2 was released.
It was confirmed that the demo would be released before the game release. Pre-orders would get a "special deal", which will probably be a beta. Check the front page.

Doug Lombardi said:
We are doing a demo for L4D. We're planning to have it available prior to launch on both the 360 and PC. Specific details on what's contained in the demo, etc., will be announced in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile pre-orders are happening now at major retailers, including Gamestop. Those who pre-order either the 360 or the PC version receive $5 off the regular price. Folks can expect to see the same type of savings when the Steam pre-purchase period begins next month.

As for pre-launch access of the game for those who pre-order (as in the case of TF2/Orange Box), we're still finalizing our plans. Please stay tuned for more on that.

Good thing is Valve has been on a roll with releases lately. OB came out without much delay and the TF2 class packs have been rolling out faster than I expected at least.

hool, how old are you? and dont say anything besides 10, 20, 30, or 40, otherwise your going against your own logic that everything might as well be rounded up.

I've got to admit, Left 4 Dead is my number one anticipated title right now. I've seen countless in-game videos now and I just can't help but wonder: just how much is there left to fix? I'm not saying Valve should just rush it out the door, but I have been hard pressed to even see a bug in the many previews of the game.

About a month ago, when all the big-media hype started, I recalled thinking "Dude, this game is still 1/4 year away."

I think they advertised the game too early. I'm sure not everyone will agree. Since the game was announced so early, and there is so much time left, it feels like the demo won't be out for quite some time as well, even though it could already be done and bug free, simply because you don't want to release a demo two whole months before the game comes out.

Just my $.07 (Adjusted for inflation)

Worth waiting for...

I dont think the announced anything early. No one thought this was going to get as big as it did. I was expecting a very good low budget turtle rock game, now its a extremely insane Valve game!

Back