Unable to use the fps_max command

hadrian29

Reaction score
I'm trying to cap my fps. But when I enter the command into the console screen, I get a message saying "Can't set fps_max when connected to a server." I'm just playing hl2 by myself. I wasn't aware I was connected to anything. BTW...TOTALLY new at this sort of thing.

You have to set fps_max at the main menu, not when your're in-game.

I'm trying to cap my fps. But when I enter the command into the console screen, I get a message saying "Can't set fps_max when connected to a server." I'm just playing hl2 by myself. I wasn't aware I was connected to anything. BTW...TOTALLY new at this sort of thing.

Bring down the console in the menu and set from there (Or in the command line, I think?)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Fps_max

Or, in your HL2's shortcut Target field (after the quotes), like "-fps_max xx". Xx is your desired FPS.

dabomb29 and Durcell: I get the same message even when I try it at the main menu.

pNp_Oski: I added what you said, but I'm not sure it worked. Should the shortcut line now look like this: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 220 -fps_max 60

It should most likely work. Do you have -developer 1 or -sv_cheats 1? I think those should also be included in order for the capping to work.

So it should look like this: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 220 -fps_max 60 -developer 1

I tried opening the console in the main menu and typing "sv_cheats 1" and "developer 1" before using the "fps_max XX" command. Still get the same message. Is something wrong with my version of the game? It's always up to date thanks to Steam.

I don't know, try putting -console and -sv_cheats 1 in your launch path and see what happens. I think activating the cheat mode in the console sometimes does not work.

Are you using a Mac? I think this a fairly new or recent issue.

Open the console and type disconnect, then try the fps_max xx command again.

If that doesn't work try adding the command to the start-up config. Here - X:\Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\cfg. Look for config.cfg and add the command to the end, or check if it is already in there and edit the value.

Back