unrest in libya

With issues like Libya's oil supplies on issue one has to be very careful about these things. Additionally, Libya is a vast but sparsely populated country - assigning land fairly may be difficult, as would determining access to the sea and to a lesser extent the land borders. Theres also the question, related to the previous issues, that asks if the new countries will be viable both in governence and economy.

The West should stay out of this. Intervention doesn't seem a very good idea to me, but if troops go in, they should be Arab or at least Muslim.

The West getting involved will be Iraq all over again. We basically replaced their shit with different shit.

The West getting involved will be Iraq all over again. We basically replaced their shit with different shit.

I thought the objective was to free the Iraqi people?

Like so.
qs498.jpg

That's some awesome freedom right there.

All that dirt is free from the tyranny of gravity for a brief, blissful moment.

Why would an intervention have to be from the West? Libya is a member of both the African Union and Arab Leauge. The AU, at least, has launched its own peace keeping operations on several occasions. Additionally a UN force may well lack a large Western Component.

Finally, it does seem everyone has, understandably, been somewhat soured by Iraq. What about the sucesses? Why wouldn't an intervention suceed like in Kosovo or Sierra Leone?

Despite my liking for military action of all kinds, I still lean towards the principle of self-determination. Every people in the world are blessed with the government that they deserve. If the will of the Libyan people falter, or is not strong enough to overthrow the regime, well then, they get what they get.

It all boils down to the people and their willingness to make the change happen. And they deserve a victory that is their own, otherwise they won't appreciate it.

And yet I'd still like to see the international community do something about the slaughter. But I think that intervention will only serve to prolong the conflict by imposing a cease-fire, letting the tyrant bide his time and lick his wounds rather than be quickly removed.

The American senators Joe Liebermann and John McCain are now talking about supporting the Libyan opposition with guns. These people will never learn ...

The American senators Joe Liebermann and John McCain are now talking about supporting the Libyan opposition with guns. These people will never learn ...

Good old right-wing politics.

I think it's pretty clear Gaddafi has absolutely no idea how free communication works. He still thinks saying "all my people love me" will make people believe him simply because he said it.

I think it's pretty clear Gaddafi has absolutely no idea how free communication works. He still thinks saying "all my people love me" will make people believe him simply because he said it.

thats the old tactic of "I ignore your reality and change it whit mine" I know it very well

Maybe if he puts his hands over his eyes he thinks nobody can see him, too...

See thats the issue, His people, his tribe, still do love him. Or at least love being alive enough not to want to risk revenge killings for enjoying 41 years of preferential treatment from the government to want to side with the opposition. Gaddafi still has quite a bit of support, if only out of fear that the opposition will be more of a danger than the Colonel himself.

Oh no doubt, I'm just pointing out that he seems unfamiliar with doing PR in a media environment that he doesn't control.

Back