Update discussion

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
Update:
Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations

So, an update has been released, wherein one can transport the radio to different places in each level, and get an encoded audio message. The sounds' file names are "Dinosaur #"

There're 26 sound files, four of with are morse code. They translate to:

Level 1
Interior transmission active
External data line active
Message digest active

Level 5
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Level 12
System data dump active
User back up active
Password back up active

Level 17
B-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-P
B-E-E-P

B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P

B-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-P
B-E-E-P

(Which translates to "LOL")

Here're the sounds in their original form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVB9_WxmsRc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCkr5XaAbfc

Also, a new sound is heard when one transports the radio through a disintegration field (It definitely sounds like GLaDOS, saying "Get out" or "Get me out of here", probably the latter):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3uog2tKAQ

So far the best theory I've heard about this is that it's GLaDOS rebooting herself. Hopefully a hint to Portal 2 and/or Episode Three.

EDIT: The guys at Steampowered are hard at work, and have processed the audio files which weren't morse and decoded them into images.

dinosaur2
dino2.png

dinosaur3
dino3.png

dinosaur4
dino4.png

dinosaur6
dino6t.png

dinosaur7
dino7.png

dinosaur8
dino8.png

dinosaur9
dino9z.png

dinosaur10
dino10.png

dinosaur11
dino11.png

dinosaur13
dino13.png

dinosaur14
dino14.png

dinosaur15
dino15.png

dinosaur16
dino16.png

dinosaur18
dino18.png

dinosaur19
dino19.png

dinosaur20
dino20.png

dinosaur21
dino21.png

dinosaur22
dino22.png

dinosaur23
dino23.png

dinosaur24
dino24.png

dinosaur25
dino25.png

dinosaur26
dino26.png

I'm thinking this is just another type of puzzle to make Portal 'fresh' again. It's pretty much just finding radios and taking them to various places using portals. Kind of like an easter egg hunt, it's that time of year I guess.

For the record, the one in chamber 12 is amazing.

Nah, it can't just be an easter egg hunt for the fukc of it.

The skull is creepy.

Also, is this a garden gnome?

dino11.png

And a mousetrap:

dino24.png

So does anyone have any insights on how to get this particular radio? I'd post it on the Steam Forums but my account's not activated.

PortalRadioFire.jpg

*cracks knuckles*

All ****ing riiiiight. Let's do this.

Anyone want to get all 32 pictures (note the XX out of 32 in the corner of most of the photos) and line them up in order? Start listing the information in each photo?

Third picture in eyeforks second post seems to imply a phone number(s) of some kind. The other photo's have random numbers and letters attached. Too little to base anything off of yet. Nice skull. Let's keep this rolling.

The crazy sounds in the beginning and end of the Portalsounds video's sounds like transmission that is being heard on the wrong frequency... or just transmitted very very quickly.

Are there even 32 radios IN portal?

"From images: 9459C6CAC8C203B8128B7CC63068D4FD
Translates to BBS#: (425) 822-5251
425 is a Seattle area code.
Calling resulted in what sounded like a modem.
Someone translate that!"

Origin of number: http://filebox.me/files/uydn1ftcz_a.png
Kirkland, Washington? ... ... ... Valve has offices there. Shit, it was FOUNDED there.

Might be a number to a BBS or fax machine apparently. I do not know how to access that. Somebody did though: Link to call to that number: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=tyXqpe
Something obviously being transmitted, but it's definitely not supposed to be picked up by phone.
Filtered to 2222Hz: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=JQxq0o Could be more Morse, but it's too faint to translate.

Wait. A. Second. Dinosaurs? I'M WATCHIN YOU BARNES!

The Steam forums, SomethingAwful, /v/ and Facepunch are now uniting their forces to reach that ****ing number. Gonna be a wild night.

Hmm... DoD.

Anyways, I suspect that as with the original aperture science website, the username doesn't matter. Completely unfounded suspicion, but whatever.

Does anyone remember what the special keys were on the keyboards of the aperture science computers in Portal? I remember some of them were colored.

Edit: Woah, logon page has changed. Try user: backup, password: backup. Woah!

Attachments

• poster17902621.jpg
    poster17902621.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 446
Reposting here: There's a new ending for Portal as well..

Same as before, but you start getting dragged off before the fade-out now...

Apparently this is the culprit:
camera_GhostAnim.jpg

I think that maybe Chell was chosen to destroy Glados, because Glados was taking from Cave Johnson's authority and power.

i'm hoping she went deaf in the explosion
and lesbians

Not if she could hear the robot!

On a note of that link, I always really liked that concept combine mask that looks like a spider face. I hope they implement it one day.

I was reading this yesterday and I found it fascinating. There are some links to other articles he's written on the same subject and it's an interesting take on it. The most unique idea I've found is that Chell is a clone and all of the little writings and what not you find are previous Chell iterations leaving tips for future Chells. I'm not sure if everything is quite as deep as this guy is making it out to be, but it would be an odd coincidence.

It's also entirely likely that Valve changed their collective mind on how to use Chell, and decided to set Portal in the distant future to preclude the possibility of the character tie-in.

so I beat the game again after the update and I noticed GlaDos said after you beat her that she is the only thing standing between "you and them" any ideas what that means? Is that the same thing she said before the update?

yep, it was there before the update

Back