Upgrade for ~$500

DreamThrall

Reaction score
I think I made a thread like this a while ago, but now that's actually closer to the time I'd be getting the upgrade, I would make the thread again.

Here's what I've got right now:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
Memory: 1GB PC2700 no-name RAM
Video Card: ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB AGP8x
Sound: Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS Platium
HDD: 80GB WD ATA-100

Here's what I'm aiming for:
Processor: AMD Athlon64 Socket 939
Motherboard: Socket 939, nVidia nForce 4 Ultra, PCI x16
Memory: 1GB+ PC3200 (probably either 1GB or 1.5GB)
Video Card: nVidia geForce 6600+/ATi x800+
Sound/HDD: (keep)

Here's what I've got in mind:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Venice - $146
Motherboard: Chaintech VNF4/Ultra
Memory: 2x Corsair ValueSelect 512MB PC3200 Unbuffered/2.5CAS
Video Card: PowerColor R43CA-GD3D Radeon X800GT 256MB PCIx16

That puts me at about $475, not including shipping. I was thinking about getting AMD 3200+ for the next step up, but $45 for 200MHz just doesn't seem worth it to me... I could OC it that much for free - it's the same core. Any thoughts/recommendations? Discuss.

That really wouldn't be worth the upgrade. You'll notice the difference with the cpu, but that video card is on the same grounds, or lower, than your 9800Pro.
Save up $1000 and then you can get an upgrade that will get you running the next gen games.

you're saying that an X800GT <= a 9800 Pro? WTF? I think the clock speeds alone are nearly doubled

EDIT: Or maybe I'll get one of those new x1600s.... hmmmmm.... $199? f yeah.

ya, save up, wait for some big next gen titles, then upgrade to make ABSOLUTELY SURE you can run them the way you want, dont spend 500 now and in two months run Elder Scrolls at 10 fps, though you have good specs with upgrade, id still wait a bit

DreamThrall said:
you're saying that an X800GT <= a 9800 Pro? WTF? I think the clock speeds alone are nearly doubled

EDIT: Or maybe I'll get one of those new x1600s.... hmmmmm.... $199? f yeah.
But in real world performance the difference is not enough to merrit the upgrade.

One of the X1600s would be a much better investment.
You're still better off waiting a while for a better upgrade.

MF-Boltress said:

If I don't get it this winter, I won't be able to spend that much money again until next winter... My wife doesn't take kindly to randomly spending a lot of money on computer equipment, and my bday/winter holidays are the only time of year that will fly. I wasn't planning on buying anything top of the line anyways.

Buy as CD that will last you until next year. ;) They you'll have that money along with the interest to go with next years money! :thumbs:

Or get a new woman...

MF-Boltress said:
Buy as CD that will last you until next year. ;) They you'll have that money along with the interest to go with next years money! :thumbs:
I'm not that patient...

MF-Boltress said:
Or get a new woman...
nor that shallow...

I say go for it. Thats basicly what my upgrade was (Skt 754 instead of 939) and it was a lot faster than the AXP 2800+/9800pro. Except I got a 6800GT and I had high quality Corsair PC2700 memory which was able to OC to PC3200 (it didn't OC much on the AXP system I had before though). Just sell your old stuff and get some money back. =p

I wouldn't recommend Chaintech though since they won't be making motherboards very soon. Asus and MSI make good basic boards that last at ~100$ price range.

MF-Boltress said:
But in real world performance the difference is not enough to merrit the upgrade.

One of the X1600s would be a much better investment.

Dont know what ur smoking. But you should get a 16 pipe card. And if ur good at overclocking you can probably get that cpu to 2.7 ;-)

holydeadpenguins said:
Dont know what ur smoking. But you should get a 16 pipe card. And if ur good at overclocking you can probably get that cpu to 2.7 ;-)
i know what he's smoking... his budget

Back