Upgrading to a HD 5770...

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB from my nVidia 9600GT. The nVidia I have at the moment is buggy and noisy.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-149-XF

Think this is a good deal? And should I upgrade or not? Will it be worth it? Can my system handle it? (Specs below)

PSU: 520W Corsair
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q8400 @ 2.8Ghz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: nVidia 9600GT 1024MB

Any relevant comments or advice are welcome. The only concern I'm having is the size of my PSU (520W) which might not be sufficient for a graphics card as good as this. But according to the official XFX website (the company that actually makes this card) it should run fine with anything over 450W. Thanks.

Your PSU is fine.

I'm not sure if that's the greatest deal ever. I got mine for $150 CAD back in December.

I'm also not sure how much of a step up from your 9600 it would be. You might want to wait a bit; Asus should be able to fill you in on the latest in GPU forecast.

Thanks for the tips, Viperidae - I'm not looking for the best or newest GPU. I don't particularly want it or can afford it. I just want something more powerful, quieter and better value than what I have at the moment.

The 5770 is a great video hard. I have the XFX 5750 and I have had no problems with it at all. Your power supply is more than adequate to power that card. The 5xxx series are very light on power.

When I upgrade I'm going all out. I'd rather just buy one really expensive rig once every 5 years and be happy for a long time....and then slowly upgrade. Also I'm still debating if I want a custom rig from one of those sites or a DIY rig from Newegg/Tigerdirect

Also running right now albeit its starting to get slower now:

NVIDIA 8800GT 512mb
4GB DDR2
80GB of HDD space left
Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz Dual Core

When I upgrade I'm going all out. I'd rather just buy one really expensive rig once every 5 years and be happy for a long time....and then slowly upgrade. Also I'm still debating if I want a custom rig from one of those sites or a DIY rig from Newegg/Tigerdirect

You want a DIY rig.

You want a DIY rig.

yeah they seem like 30% cheaper in cost, plus I think its nice to know whats under the hood. I pretty much know how to install HDDs, Disk Drives, GFx cards, memory, and I've cleaned my CPU plus fans all the time, the only hard part for me is the MoBo. I have never touched/removed, or attempted to do anything to one. Its probably really easy and I could youtube the process but Its like jumping in the deep end for me

It's really easy. All the plugs are a certain shape and you can get nearly all of them without even thinking. And if not, there is writing on the motherboard that might say "CPU fan"

... that's where you plug in the CPU fan. :)

I just upgraded to a 1920x1080 monitor and so I need to get a new video card. I used to get away with 800x600 on my FS monitor, and I could run a lot of games on it, but now a lot of the games I played - well they look ****ing amazing, but they don't run well.

I was thinking I'd probably just spend $140 and get something from yesteryear. I'm using an X1900XT, and it's not up to the job. I need something that can handle HD graphics. I agree with you on that "go all out" thing, but the video cards get really expensive.

The only part I hate about putting together PCs is the part where you have to connect the case switches/lights to the mobo.

Well then, back to the subject at hand. Is the HD 5770 a definite buy and a good upgrade from the 9600GT?

Back