using Steam Call of Duty with non-steam version?

Dinnesch

Space Core
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to buy a copy of Call of Duty, United Offense and Call of Duty 2.
They are impossible to get near my city, so I thought of buying them with Steam, this

But I prefer not to have Steam on while playing games, because it eats some of my FPS and I'll have to tune down the graphics settings(old notebook).

So if I buy them through Steam, will I get a CD key and can I install the retail version with it?
Thanks,

Dinnesch

No, you will need Steam installed and running.

You don't get a CD Key with the Steam version as the game is binded to your account. If you buy the Steam version you will need to have Steam Running. Steam really shouldn't impact the performance of the game at all.

It's possible to run it without the Steam client in the case of CoD4, not sure about the others. You just find the exe and launch it...

Thanks for the information, I will keep up searching in other game shops(which are further away) because I don't want to depend on Steam.

@Pimpinpenguin: Indeed, the performance impact of Steam is very small, it was my fault.

STEAM requires to be run while playing the original Call of Duty game. However, there are many alternatives that you could get Call of Duty from.

For example...

www.play.com
www.amazon.com
www.gameplay.co.uk
www.gamestop.com
www.ebay.com
www.craigslist.com

Either that or you could perhaps find a way of buying a CD-Key and the ISO off the internet. However, I am unsure of the legality of this method and I'm not sure if such talk is allowed on these forums.

I hope I helped

Back