VAC and Rcon not working?

Inanimate

Spy
Reaction score
So I've recently set up a dedicated server for L4D2 for the first time in my life, and I've got some problems.

First of all, I've installed it with SRCDS or whatever its called, using hlupdatetool.
The shortcut for SRCDS contain the IP number of the server, including the "-secure" tag.
However, whenever I launch a game and join the server and type "status" in the console, I get this:

"insecure (secure mode enabled, connected to Steam3)"
When I check my server browser, or look at the server via HLSW, it says that there's no Anti-cheat/VAC on it. Why?

Regarding typing the IP:port in the shortcut of the srcds, is it supposed to be the INTERNAL ip or the EXTERNAL?
Its not working at all right now but havent tried the internal.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\HLServer\left4dead2\srcds.exe" -console -secure -game left4dead2 +ip 83.251.207.53 +hostport 27015 +map c5m1_waterfront.bsp

and the updatetool:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\HLServer\HldsUpdateTool.exe" -command update -game left4dead2 -dir .

Secondly, I cant get the rcon to work either.

in my "server.cfg" I've typed this in, in this order:

sv_password "" (because i want none)
rcon_password "arne"

but whenever Im on the server and write "rcon_password arne" in the console, it says "could not connect to rcon" after about 15 seconds.
If I try the same thing in HLSW to do it remotely, it just says FAILED after a while.

I've made sure that the server.cfg actually IS executing so thats not the problem.

Im pasting my server.cfg here as well:

// Server Name
hostname "MY SERVER"
sv_password ""
// Rcon Cvars
rcon_password "arne" //Set's remote control password

// Server Cvars
mp_disable_autokick 1 //Prevents a userid from being auto-kicked
sv_allow_wait_command 0 //Allow or disallow the wait command on clients connected to this server.
sv_alltalk 0 //Players can hear all other players, no team restrictions
sv_alternateticks 0 //If set, server only simulates entities on even numbered ticks.
sv_cheats 0 //Allow cheats on server
sv_clearhinthistory 0 //Clear memory of server side hints displayed to the player.
sv_consistency 1 //Whether the server enforces file consistency for critical files
sv_contact "[email protected]" //Contact email for server sysop
sv_pausable 0 //Is the server pausable.

sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1 // Setting to 0 will not connect to the Match Making Service
sv_steamgroup // Family Steam Group Number

// Lan or internet play, Server region cvars
sv_lan 0 //Server is a lan server ( no heartbeat, no authentication, no non-class C addresses )
sv_region 3 // Region Codes: 0 - US East coast, 1 - US West coast, 2 - South America, 3 - Europe, 4 - Asia, 5 - Australia, 6 - Middle East, 7 - Africa, 255 - world

// HTTP Redirect
sv_downloadurl "http://www.efukt.com"

// Server Logging
sv_log_onefile 0 //Log server information to only one file.
sv_logbans 0 //Log server bans in the server logs.
sv_logecho 0 //Echo log information to the console.
sv_logfile 1 //Log server information in the log file.
sv_logflush 0 //Flush the log file to disk on each write (slow).
sv_logsdir "logs" //Folder in the game directory where server logs will be stored.

// bandwidth rates/settings
sv_minrate 0
sv_maxrate 25000
sv_mincmdrate 10
sv_maxcmdrate 33

sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0

// Voice Comm
sv_voiceenable "1"

sv_pure_kick_clients 1 // kick clients with non-steam skins

sv_steamgroup "mygroup"
sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1 //to make it exclusive and private

sv_gametypes "versus,teamscavenge,teamversus,scavenge"

Also, this is what i get when I start the server up, in the big black window:

serverwindow.jpg

Any ideas?

Regards

This problem has been resolved now.

If anyone is setting up a server and creating the shortcut for the dedicated server, do NOT add "+ip youripnumber" for the server. This made Steam unable to contact my server, hence VAC not working. After this was deleted from the shortcut target, Rcon started working as well.

Back