Valve and Microsoft are Working to Standardize VR APIs

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Last week at Microsoft's E3 press conference, we learned that Valve and Microsoft are partnering up in the VR space. No details regarding the partnership were given at the event, but Kudo Tsunoda expanded a bit while appearing in an interview with Maximum PC.

valve_microsoft.png

Both companies are looking to standardize the APIs that are being built for VR. A consistent set of technologies and best practices will ensure that the experience of VR, both for developers and consumers, will be the best possible. Kudo said that, "as we try to make life easier for developers by getting some consistent APIs built, that's going to allow the developers to not have to focus on solving technical problems, but to really focus on making their experiences better, and that's better for developers; that's better for consumers."

The best VR experience will be delivered on the Windows 10 platform, according to Kudo. "One of the things we want to do with Windows 10 is make it the best developer platform for VR... And we really want to make Windows 10 the best VR platform for consumers." He also explained that Microsoft chose not to create & tether their own VR device to Xbox because that would limit consumer choice. "We want to enable a great virtual reality experience for all PC gamers, and that means you can choose your own VR device because multiple ones work with Windows 10."

Towards the end of the interview, it also sounds like Kudo is suggesting that there's more to this Microsoft and Valve partnership than just an effort to standardize a set of APIs. "We don't have anything else we're announcing today regarding our partnership with Valve." Does this mean more stuff is already in the pipeline? Or is he just suggesting that both doors are open to more collaboration? Either way, this is all good news for PC gamers and those looking forward to virtual reality.

I just hope this is indicative of some sort of low-level standardization for VR across platforms. It'd be great to have the option to use whatever VR headset you want with any given VR game. I know there will always be hardware-specific limitations, but here's hoping for hardware choices rather than exclusivity.
Hell yes.

You're right pik, but the idea of standardization is not really new to us. Valve from the beginning has said that it's important that VR APIs are standardized, and it's the goal of OpenVR.

I think the between-the-lines news here is that Microsoft isn't trying to fragment the VR space with exclusive VR hardware and/or software support on Windows 10. As we've recently seen, Microsoft is trying to fix a lot of the mistakes they've made in the past few years -- fragmenting spaces and building walled gardens. One fix is this partnership with Valve.

Last edited:
Yeah, and what a reconciliation it is, I'm enormously happy and assured to hear they have such a partnership in place. Best news I could hope for on that front, to be honest... Now if only there was something upcoming about a certain Half-Life.

Back